• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

Why the fuck are people so concerned about teachers getting the vaccines. Their eligibility is currently the exception to the rule. They are part of the next wave, along with food workers in many places. They aren't jumping >65, with few exceptions. Meanwhile, fucking lawyers have been eligible. Yet 2&2 is bitching about teachers. You are really telling on yourselves if you are bitching about teachers.

Why the fuck are people so concerned about teachers getting the vaccines.

They're not concerned with teachers getting the vaccines. Everyone should get the vaccines. Personally, I think teachers should get the vaccine at the same time as other jobs with inevitable face-to-face interaction.

What they're saying is schools should be open 5 days a week and vaccinating every teacher isn't required for that given their interpretation of the current scientific data on spread in schools. Dr. Fauci says they're not a requirement. The head of the CDC says they're not a requirement.

Did you watch what he said? He is saying we can open schools but we need to prioritize getting teachers vaccinated.
Getting schools open is important, even if there is inherent risk to those involved. Let's simultaneously do what we can to start minimizing that risk as fast as week. Saying we want to open schools doesn't mean we are saying there isn't risk in doing it, so teachers shouldn't be priority.
Fucks sake.

Did you watch what he said? He is saying we can open schools but we need to prioritize getting teachers vaccinated.
Getting schools open is important, even if there is inherent risk to those involved. Let's simultaneously do what we can to start minimizing that risk as fast as week. Saying we want to open schools doesn't mean we are saying there isn't risk in doing it, so teachers shouldn't be priority.
Fucks sake.

You clearly didn't read my post. I said teachers need to get the vaccine at the same time as other inevitable face-to-face workers. We have a limited number of vaccines right now and I think the most vulnerable should get it first.

They're not concerned with teachers getting the vaccines. Everyone should get the vaccines. Personally, I think teachers should get the vaccine at the same time as other jobs with inevitable face-to-face interaction.

What they're saying is schools should be open 5 days a week and vaccinating every teacher isn't required for that given their interpretation of the current scientific data on spread in schools. Dr. Fauci says they're not a requirement. The head of the CDC says they're not a requirement.

This.

Assuming teachers were pushed to the front of the vaccine line, the glorious teachers unions in many cities and states would still come up with excuses as to why 5 day a week in-person learning should be avoided at all costs despite the current data proving otherwise.

And many of the scholars on the left who claim to TRUST SCIENCE nod their heads and go along with it like the lemmings they are as upsetting the teachers unions is frowned upon and will not be tolerated in the Dem party.

If we are focused on CDC recommendations:

CDC recommendation puts teachers in category 1b along with seniors age 75+

Same recommendation puts seniors aged 65-74 in category 1c (that's after 1b)

Some states have moved those age 65-74 up two priority levels, ahead of teachers - this is contrary to CDC recommendations

You clearly didn't read my post. I said teachers need to get the vaccine at the same time as other inevitable face-to-face workers. We have a limited number of vaccines right now and I think the most vulnerable should get it first.

I did. What's your issue, then? Teachers aren't ahead of the most vulnerable, with few small exceptions. And they aren't really ahead, they are with. Why are you so worried about teachers but not lawyers?

Why the fuck are people so concerned about teachers getting the vaccines. Their eligibility is currently the exception to the rule. They are part of the next wave, along with food workers in many places. They aren't jumping >65, with few exceptions. Meanwhile, fucking lawyers have been eligible. Yet 2&2 is bitching about teachers. You are really telling on yourselves if you are bitching about teachers.

I did. What's your issue, then? Teachers aren't ahead of the most vulnerable, with few small exceptions. And they aren't really ahead, they are with. Why are you so worried about teachers but not lawyers?

Jesus Christ, can you fucking read? No wonder all your patients died. Reading is fundamental. The beer brewer looks like Doogie Fucking Howser compared to you.

Do you think a 23 year old teacher should get the vaccine before a 65 year old with comorbidities?

Personally, I think we should drastically reduce death and hospitalizations first by vaccinating as many 65 and up citizens as possible first. I think the spring semester is shot (no pun intended) so no need to hijack the progress we are making with seniors.

I don’t think the answer to your hypothetical is obvious. The issue for me is that we are forcing the 23 year to put them selves at some level of risk/exposure through their job, but we are not forcing the 65 year old to do anything. I’m not really worried about the 23 year old teachers though. I’m worried about the 50 year old + teachers. I think if you are going to force them into the classroom you’ve got to lower the age threshold for the vaccine.

I'm not worried about anything. I'm just sick of death and hospitalizations.

I would rather have 65+ vaccinated before anyone below 65+ because they are at higher risk of hospitalization and death. We have to keep reducing the burden on the healthcare system. I'm happy for teachers to be vaccinated when grocery workers and other jobs with a similar level of risk get it. There's no inherent danger in schools that make them more of a vector for spread than a grocery store or food service job or factory. This is especially true if there is proper sanitation, social distancing, and masking. Teachers should get vaccinated earlier than the "public", but if it comes down to an 80 year old or a 26 year old teacher, I vote that the 80 year old gets it first because the science says they're more likely to die or go to the hospital.

I don't live in a state that prioritizes lawyers, so I haven't had to think about it. I have been personally mad when I heard about attorneys I know getting it at the same time as doctors and nursing home patients though.

I'm not worried about anything. I'm just sick of death and hospitalizations.

I would rather have 65+ vaccinated before anyone below 65+ because they are at higher risk of hospitalization and death. We have to keep reducing the burden on the healthcare system. I'm happy for teachers to be vaccinated when grocery workers and other jobs with a similar level of risk get it. There's no inherent danger in schools that make them more of a vector for spread than a grocery store or food service job or factory. This is especially true if there is proper sanitation, social distancing, and masking. Teachers should get vaccinated earlier than the "public", but if it comes down to an 80 year old or a 26 year old teacher, I vote that the 80 year old gets it first because the science says they're more likely to die or go to the hospital.

I don't live in a state that prioritizes lawyers, so I haven't had to think about it. I have been personally mad when I heard about attorneys I know getting it at the same time as doctors and nursing home patients though.

wait - you were touting following CDC recommendations a few minutes ago. CDC says teachers should go before 65-74, and before food service.

Do you now disagree with CDC?

wait - you were touting following CDC recommendations a few minutes ago. CDC says teachers should go before 65-74, and before food service.

Do you now disagree with CDC?

tenor.gif

I am basing my personal opinion on the CDC's data that found 8 out of 10 people who died of Coronavirus in the US were 65+. I want to reduce death and hospitalization as much as possible as quick as possible and personally believe this is the best way to do it. Because supplies are still low (but improving!), I would personally prioritize the most vulnerable. Apologies on food service, I meant food and agricultural workers which are also in 1b. Of course Teachers should be getting vaccines before waiters, bartenders, etc.

As far as the CDC director saying schools can reopen with safety protocols in place but WITHOUT vaccines, even the Press Secretary said that Walensky was speaking in "her personal capacity." Great spinzone by Psaki. If the President can disagree with the CDC on some things, so can we!

Last edited:
I don’t think the answer to your hypothetical is obvious. The issue for me is that we are forcing the 23 year to put them selves at some level of risk/exposure through their job, but we are not forcing the 65 year old to do anything. I’m not really worried about the 23 year old teachers though. I’m worried about the 50 year old + teachers. I think if you are going to force them into the classroom you’ve got to lower the age threshold for the vaccine.

It's tough, because time is not on our side and vaccinating as many people as possible as soon as possible is part of the reason why there isn't more discretion. Current vaccine supply is also another reason. I also don't see any sympathy in the public discourse for people in the same essential worker category as teachers who have been forced to keep working as is instead of virtually as teachers have had the benefit of doing. Is there something inherently dangerous about a school setting if masks are worn, teachers aren't near the kids, and there's proper cleaning? I personally think it's lower than we've been led to believe by the teachers unions. I can't imagine saying that to the family of a dead covid-infected teacher with a straight face though.

tenor.gif

I am basing my personal opinion on the CDC's data that found 8 out of 10 people who died of Coronavirus in the US were 65+. I want to reduce death and hospitalization as much as possible as quick as possible and personally believe this is the best way to do it. Because supplies are still low (but improving!), I would personally prioritize the most vulnerable. Apologies on food service, I meant food and agricultural workers which are also in 1b. Of course Teachers should be getting vaccines before waiters, bartenders, etc.

As far as the CDC director saying schools can reopen with safety protocols in place but WITHOUT vaccines, even the Press Secretary said that Walensky was speaking in "her personal capacity." Great spinzone by Psaki. If the President can disagree with the CDC on some things, so can we!

of course you can disagree with the CDC. But if you disagree with the CDC, do not use the CDC to support your argument on the exact same issue. The CDC, for the record, says that teachers should be vaccinated at a higher priority level than those aged 65-74. If we had followed this recommendation universally starting in December, we'd have all teachers vaccinated by now.

and by the way, of course, most of those 65+ deaths of which you speak are 75 or older. Individuals aged 75+ are prioritized ahead of those 65-74 for this reason.

I'm a 34 year old teacher and I'm not going before 65 year olds here in NC. What the fuck are you people babbling about? In fact they divided teachers into three groups by age and I'm in the last group, which makes sense. My mom and all of her 65+ friends are getting their first doses now, I have not been contacted about setting up an appointment.

I also know people who are my age, not teachers or medical workers, but reached out clinics to rural areas and have already gotten their first dosage.

Back