• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CPAC?

Saw a picture of Palin reading Green Eggs and Ham at CPAC on Twitter. That Obamacare meme is without a doubt the funniest thing in American politics right now, probably ever. How do you not understand that book?!?

Saw a picture of Palin reading Green Eggs and Ham at CPAC on Twitter. That Obamacare meme is without a doubt the funniest thing in American politics right now, probably ever. How do you not understand that book?!?

#publicschoolfailure

Is that right?

Rand Paul in a landslide...this is why more and more of the population do not take Republicans seriously anymore.

Just give me $20, I'll kick you in the nuts, Hillary becomes President, we skip the whole election process, and CPAC can donate all their funds raised to pay down the national debt.

I'll take Hillary in a landslide over any pub, but I am really not sold she's running.

Palin's clearly playing this angle and has been since 2009, but she handled the coy maybe I'll run for President angle badly and left way too much money on the table. Rush and Beck make orders of magnitude more than she does and she should have gone for a mega-deal in 2009. She burned the elective politics bridge long ago, but reading Green Eggs and Ham won't be a high playing gig in 2017 unless Hillary is President. She hates Christie, but mocking him, Jeb, Walker, or Rand isn't a paying gig for her.

I'm curious to see what happens to the Tea Party when/if the GOP retakes the White House. Will government spending still be a problem?

Rand Paul in a landslide...this is why more and more of the population do not take Republicans seriously anymore.

Cruz was a distant second, Ben Carson in third, and Christie in fourth. Palin and Trump didn't finish in the top nine-they're not credible candidates, but the base loves them, they get additional free publicity, line their own pockets, and drive moderates away in droves. It's a win for somebody, but certainly not the GOP. Ted Nugent's pissed he didn't get an invitation.

Rand Paul inherited his daddy's organized machine. I don't think that means he is the clear favorite. I'd love to see the GOP try to play identity politics with Cruz and Carson.

The GOP base absolutely believes America is a right/center-right nation

The United States absolutely is right/center-right, it's just that the fucking lunatic fringe has no idea what "left" actually is. Hell, the Democratic Party would be the "center right" party in nearly ever other western nation (compare the Democratic Party to Germany's CDU, for example ... the Democratic Party is to their right, and that's the conservative party in a fairly conservative government).

That's the problem for Republicans - in an already right leaning nation, how do you distinguish yourself as the "conservative" party without just going off the fucking map and into the deep end?

The United States absolutely is right/center-right, it's just that the fucking lunatic fringe has no idea what "left" actually is. Hell, the Democratic Party would be the "center right" party in nearly ever other western nation (compare the Democratic Party to Germany's CDU, for example ... the Democratic Party is to their right, and that's the conservative party in a fairly conservative government).

That's the problem for Republicans - in an already right leaning nation, how do you distinguish yourself as the "conservative" party without just going off the fucking map and into the deep end?

All true, but the GOP base seems to think the center of the American electorate is significantly further right than John McCain. Given that the GOP has lost the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 presidential elections, that's not a very good assumption. The center of the American electorate is somewhere between Joe Manchin and Susan Collins. The GOP can hold the House in the short-term and they may be able to win the Senate, but they can't pass legislation if they don'y have 60 votes in the Senate and control the White House. They're not getting to 67 seats in the Senate anytime soon and they won't win the White House unless they take more centrist policy positions.

Even back when I was a conservative I thought CPAC was filled with creepos & sickos; Comic-Con for fascists. Much much worse now.
— @BruceBartlett

So it's "man MY the legend." I've been reading it as "mammy" for some time now. Regardless, seems Donald Trump has an account on this board.

All true, but the GOP base seems to think the center of the American electorate is significantly further right than John McCain. Given that the GOP has lost the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 presidential elections, that's not a very good assumption. The center of the American electorate is somewhere between Joe Manchin and Susan Collins. The GOP can hold the House in the short-term and they may be able to win the Senate, but they can't pass legislation if they don'y have 60 votes in the Senate and control the White House. They're not getting to 67 seats in the Senate anytime soon and they won't win the White House unless they take more centrist policy positions.

It's a great assumption. They've simply got to keep blacks from voting and pull the 47% off the Democratic government teat. All will be well.

Back