• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CPAC?

I went this year with a group of guys from law school, mainly because we convinced the law school to pay for it and it was over our spring break. Most of the people we encountered were absolutely insane (stupid). We sat and listened to a panel discussion on criminal justice reform where Rick Perry did most of the talking. Perry somehow got off on the subject of oil pipelines. One of the guys I'm with turns to me and says "what in the hell does this have to do with criminal justice reform?" An older lady in front of us turns around and says "He is going to be our next president, so it doesn't matter." She could tell we weren't buying that bullshit, so she attempted to educate us about how wonderful Rick Perry is. I was glad this happened towards the end of the panel so I could get away from her.

I don't think I will be in a big hurry to go back.

The United States absolutely is right/center-right, it's just that the fucking lunatic fringe has no idea what "left" actually is. Hell, the Democratic Party would be the "center right" party in nearly ever other western nation (compare the Democratic Party to Germany's CDU, for example ... the Democratic Party is to their right, and that's the conservative party in a fairly conservative government).

That's the problem for Republicans - in an already right leaning nation, how do you distinguish yourself as the "conservative" party without just going off the fucking map and into the deep end?

that first para is basically what i was gonna say. if you're not calling for land reform and wealth redistribution you're not that far left from a historical standpoint.

I went in 2005.

Its a red meat conference for conservatives. Its taken a life of its own and now they encourage the craziest people to be the loudest and most prominent.

Rand Paul inherited his daddy's organized machine. I don't think that means he is the clear favorite. I'd love to see the GOP try to play identity politics with Cruz and Carson.

Evidence of this:
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/rand-paul-cpac-straw-poll-104450.html

GOP pollster Tony Fabrizio, who has run the straw poll since 1986, said that nearly half of the straw poll voters were between the ages of 18 to 25.
“This is a sampling of people from all 50 states who are at the forefront of the conservative moment,” he said. “They’re the people who go knock on doors.”
Paul quickly released a statement touting his win.
“The fight for liberty continues, and we must continue to stand up and say: We’re free and no one, no matter how well-intentioned, will take our freedoms from us,” he said. “Together we will stand up for the Constitution. Together we will fight for what is right. Thank you, and onwards to victory.”
The poll also asked attendees their views on a series of issues, and their answers highlighted how libertarian this year’s crowd is:
• Forty-one percent said marijuana should be legalized for recreational purposes, 21 percent said it should legalized only for medicinal purposes and 31 percent said the drug should remain illegal.
• A slight majority, 52 percent, said it is time for America’s allies to stand up and defend themselves.
• Three-quarters disapproved of the National Security Agency monitoring phone calls and scanning emails, compared to 19 percent in favor.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/rand-paul-cpac-straw-poll-104450.html#ixzz2vcdYs8Di

Yeah, that wasn't a representative sample of Republicans at all.

Evidence of this:
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/rand-paul-cpac-straw-poll-104450.html

GOP pollster Tony Fabrizio, who has run the straw poll since 1986, said that nearly half of the straw poll voters were between the ages of 18 to 25.
“This is a sampling of people from all 50 states who are at the forefront of the conservative moment,” he said. “They’re the people who go knock on doors.”
Paul quickly released a statement touting his win.
“The fight for liberty continues, and we must continue to stand up and say: We’re free and no one, no matter how well-intentioned, will take our freedoms from us,” he said. “Together we will stand up for the Constitution. Together we will fight for what is right. Thank you, and onwards to victory.”
The poll also asked attendees their views on a series of issues, and their answers highlighted how libertarian this year’s crowd is:
• Forty-one percent said marijuana should be legalized for recreational purposes, 21 percent said it should legalized only for medicinal purposes and 31 percent said the drug should remain illegal.
• A slight majority, 52 percent, said it is time for America’s allies to stand up and defend themselves.
• Three-quarters disapproved of the National Security Agency monitoring phone calls and scanning emails, compared to 19 percent in favor.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/rand-paul-cpac-straw-poll-104450.html#ixzz2vcdYs8Di

Yeah, that wasn't a representative sample of Republicans at all.

Would have been interesting to see what Rand supporters said about marriage equality. Most recent poll I saw had 59% support nationally with 34% opposed. The only remaining demographics against are the GOP (40%) and evangelicals. Over 65 had support of 46 to 43. Support among young voters is over 70%. Other CPAC straw poll data point that surprised me was Palin's 2%. If she's that low at CPAC, she's a non-starter everywhere. Don't know how her supporters still believe she has a political future.

I went in 2005.

Its a red meat conference for conservatives. Its taken a life of its own and now they encourage the craziest people to be the loudest and most prominent.

And has become an extension of the remnants of the Soviet Communist Party with their great support of Putin.

Rudy said Putin was a great leader. Palin picked Putin over Obama. Huckabee, Cheney and others have said similar things.

Sorry, i'm using what they said at CPAC and to the media.

Rudy said Putin was a great leader. Palin picked Putin over Obama. Huckabee, Cheney and others have said similar things.

Sorry, i'm using what they said at CPAC and to the media.

No, I meant in terms of Russians. The remnants of the Soviet Communist Party don't support Putin at all. They are now part of the opposition (viewing him as a right wing autocrat, dangerously close to fascism). Just last year they caused a bunch of havoc by demanding that a bunch of ministers be fired, and asked for Putin to dissolve his government. He has 0 support from that group.

No, I meant in terms of Russians. The remnants of the Soviet Communist Party don't support Putin at all. They are now part of the opposition (viewing him as a right wing autocrat, dangerously close to fascism). Just last year they caused a bunch of havoc by demanding that a bunch of ministers be fired, and asked for Putin to dissolve his government. He has 0 support from that group.

I don't think rj was literally saying that the remnants of the Communist party were at CPAC. I think he was just poking fun at Go.

I don't think rj was literally saying that the remnants of the Communist party were at CPAC. I think he was just poking fun at Go.

I know, but he says ludicrous crap like that all the time that shows no comprehension of the larger issues.

CPAC is much closer to Putin than the Communist Party is. Russia currently is a right wing, religious, autocratic state. Much like many at CPAC would probably like the USA to be, quite honestly

Get the stick out of your butt......Putin puts the dick in dictator....and CPAC loves it....

CPAC is much closer to Putin than the Communist Party is. Russia currently is a right wing, religious, autocratic state. Much like many at CPAC would probably like the USA to be, quite honestly

The Kennedys freaked out when the KKK set a Freedom Rider bus on fire in 1961 right before a summit meeting with Khrushchev Predictably the USSR played up the divides in American society. Putin and Russia think the West is in moral decline and that's why they've passed their stringent anti-gay laws.

That's another thing the GOP and CPAC agree with Putin on. I bet he gets to be CPAC's keynote speaker next year.

I know, but he says ludicrous crap like that all the time that shows no comprehension of the larger issues.

I was under the impression that Russia was fairly agnostic and anti-religion, which makes their moral conservatism all the more confusing to my simple brain.

I was under the impression that Russia was fairly agnostic and anti-religion, which makes their moral conservatism all the more confusing to my simple brain.

Russians aren't deeply religious, but they are deeply Orthodox, if that makes sense. Kind of sort of like Italians and Catholicism.

Orthodoxy and Russian nationalism are tied together tightly, and Putin is all in on both.

Would have been interesting to see what Rand supporters said about marriage equality. Most recent poll I saw had 59% support nationally with 34% opposed. The only remaining demographics against are the GOP (40%) and evangelicals. Over 65 had support of 46 to 43. Support among young voters is over 70%. Other CPAC straw poll data point that surprised me was Palin's 2%. If she's that low at CPAC, she's a non-starter everywhere. Don't know how her supporters still believe she has a political future.

i saw an article yesterday that said support for gay marriage among young republicans is at pretty much the same level as among Democrats. So pretty much only old Republicans are against marriage equality. It's just that there are far more old than young republicans so the party as a whole is still below 50%.

Back