• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cryptozoology - Updates on Erickson Project/Ketchum Report

TWDeac

Resident Astrophysicist
Staff member
Reaction score
First, it is important to look at these videos and accounts with a skeptic's eye. There are so many hoaxes out there that it is impossible to hop on youtube without knowing what you are looking for. That is, the real gems, the ones that don't really fit the bill of a hoax.

I've always been interested in this type of stuff, and watching some of Animal Planet's Finding Bigfoot(total shit) has re-piqued my interest. If you are like most people, and rely on these types of shows for most of your knowledge about cryptozoology, you are bound to scoff at the idea of bigfoot or any other cryptoid. These are purely done for ratings. One of the main researchers on the show, Matt Moneymaker, has even released statements about the doctoring that Animal Planet has done to each episode. Even going so far as to include a video of a known hoax and dubbing in vocalization and wood knocking.

I like the idea of bigfoot but I'm far from sold on its existence. It is intriguing that the idea of a similar creature exists around the world, across cultures and that there are so many eyewitnesses. The skeptic in me thinks that a overwhelming majority of these can be attributed to the "idea" of bigfoot. The unknown is a powerful attractor and you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know about bigfoot, yetis, swamp apes, etc..

There is almost no physical evidence. A few hairs here and there, a multitude of footprint casts and body casts, but it really ends there. Where are the bodies? With millions of hunters in the United States, why hasn't one been shot? Forested land is dwindling rapidly across the world. How can these obviously supposedly large creatures exist in shrinking habitats and maintain breeding populations?

Anyway, now for the videos.

Spokane Sighting

Stabilized version of the Spokane Sighting

Knobby Sighting in our very own North Carolina.
This is a quite obvious hoax

Featured on an episode of Finding Bigfoot. Mckenzie river in Oregon. Interesting to say the least.

Peguis sighting by two Eskimo men. Another very interesting video.

The Patterson/Gimlin sighting. The most famous sighting and by far the most credible and convincing.

This is a breakdown of the same film with some other comments. Very interesting. If you are interesting the patterson/gimlin film at all, I'd suggest watching this one.

If you can, check these out. Some you may laugh at, some you may find compelling.

Some other thoughts...

Shooting a bipedal primate would undoubtedly be difficult for most people as it would probably evoke the feeling of shooting a human being or an intelligent creature. Also, there are sizeable fines in many places for shooting a bigfoot.

In the next couple of months, a documentary called The Erickson Project: Sasquatch the Quest will be released. The creator, Adrian Erickson claims to have images of the face of a bigfoot, video footage and DNA samples. There has been some information leaked about this DNA "evidence."

I know most of the “players” involved in the DNA work; in fact, I have helped in some of the analyses from a statistical point of view. I have no prejudice as to whether the sasquai exist or not, but from the DNA I have seen and analyzed, I’ll give it a 97% chance that sasquatch in fact does exist (therefore no caps on the words sasquatch or the plural form sasquai).
As far as the exact race or species – I primarily have seen only some of the mtDNA sequences; that part is 100% Homo sapiens sapiens (assuming the samples I have seen are not hoaxes). Still, sasquatch could possibly be a hybrid species that is reproductively viable.

I just have such a hard time believing...but I think people honestly think they see big foot...

some of the best evidence I've seen for any kind of cryptozooology is for the loch ness monster.

I love these kinds of documentaries but rend not to watch ones on Bigfoot because he/she really brings out the crazies.

The hop-a-long bigfoot video from NC is ...fake.

The real question is, why does beef jerky make you want to torture a potential mythical creature?

I just have such a hard time believing...but I think people honestly think they see big foot...

some of the best evidence I've seen for any kind of cryptozooology is for the loch ness monster.

I love these kinds of documentaries but rend not to watch ones on Bigfoot because he/she really brings out the crazies.

Sightings of Nessie have really tailed off over the past decade. There is some speculation that whatever was causing the various occurrences in Loch Ness has died. Possibly due to climate change.

I just can't help myself with documentaries about this stuff. It almost always ends the same, but I watch anyway.

The Erickson Project will hopefully be a better doc.

I BELIEVE

Seriously though, I was driving home late last night and listening to 101.1 FM and Alan Handleman had people calling in about UFOs. These people were dead serious about seeing them. And by them, I mean people calling in describing encounters with 7 ft tall aliens that shone like angels, and oblong orbs of light that get farther away as one moved closer. No joke. TW, your thoughts on extraterrestrials (and a new thread)?

Sightings of Nessie have really tailed off over the past decade. There is some speculation that whatever was causing the various occurrences in Loch Ness has died. Possibly due to climate change.

there was one I saw where they found a large mass of rotting...something...that they couldn't get to but saw it on SONAR or something. I wish I could remember the name of that docu. but it's been so long. It was good because they were attempting to debunk the myth too so they weren't just all...crazy

i think people really really think they've seen these things...granted a lot of videos are just people trying to get famous by spotting Bigfoot...but I really think people see bears or something along those lines and just...let their imaginations get the best of them.

I BELIEVE

Seriously though, I was driving home late last night and listening to 101.1 FM and Alan Handleman had people calling in about UFOs. These people were dead serious about seeing them. And by them, I mean people calling in describing encounters with 7 ft tall aliens that shone like angels, and oblong orbs of light that get farther away as one moved closer. No joke. TW, your thoughts on extraterrestrials (and a new thread)?

This would definitely take another thread. Personally, I think Bigfoot is more plausible than UFOs.

If Bigfoot brings out the crazies, UFOs bring out the criminally insane. Not to say that I don't enjoy some UFO stories, though :)

My favorites are the various accounts during the war and during Apollo 11 of the Foo Fighter UFOs that appeared extremely interested in our progress.

Roswell also seems extremely interesting, but that one has been beaten to a pulp over the years.

i think people really really think they've seen these things...granted a lot of videos are just people trying to get famous by spotting Bigfoot...but I really think people see bears or something along those lines and just...let their imaginations get the best of them.

This is true. They WANT to see something, so they end up seeing it.

I would probably fall victim to this if I experienced something like this. I would jump to conclusions, I'm afraid.

Obviously Bigfoot, mm-hmm, I mean CookoutDeac, exists.

This would definitely take another thread. Personally, I think Bigfoot is more plausible than UFOs.

If Bigfoot brings out the crazies, UFOs bring out the criminally insane. Not to say that I don't enjoy some UFO stories, though :)

My favorites are the various accounts during the war and during Apollo 11 of the Foo Fighter UFOs that appeared extremely interested in our progress.

Really? I figure you, the resident astrophysicist, would be more apt to chose alien>bigfoot in terms of plausibility due to your own previous words about big foot running out of space on earth vs. aliens and the vastness of space.

Interesting.

Anyway, I'd love a new thread on extraterrestrials, and the possibility (or lack thereof). The people calling in last night were dead serious about seeing them. Had me worried I was going to get abducted on 1-40 E

Really? I figure you, the resident astrophysicist, would be more apt to chose alien>bigfoot in terms of plausibility due to your own previous words about big foot running out of space on earth vs. aliens and the vastness of space.

Interesting.

Anyway, I'd love a new thread on extraterrestrials, and the possibility (or lack thereof). The people calling in last night were dead serious about seeing them. Had me worried I was going to get abducted on 1-40 E

The incredible vastness of space just makes me think that it is highly implausible that we would be visited by any extraterrestrial beings. IMO, we just aren't that important in the whole scheme of things.

Unless aliens have discovered a FTL drive, I don't think it would be worth it to come visit us. Maybe a probe or two, but not the amount of UFOs that are seen each year. I also doubt they would be manned, but who knows?

haha a UFOs thread would be epic. I'm sure some crazies on here have some stories.

I'll start one eventually. It just takes time to come up with this stuff. I like making the thread a pretty good starting point for information so the reader doesn't have to go to far.

Back