• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 117: Congrats lbE on the new addition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which was his point

No, his point was that there were not Belks throughout the state so that explanation wasn't possible.

I never met anyone named Belk in Raleigh. But I've met the real store-owning Belks here in the CLT and they're pissed.

I have. I was just going to say, I know there are Belks in Raleigh and the Boone area.

Belks is one of my biggest pet peeves. I really dont understand how that caught on or why so many southerners say that, but it's one of those things I associate with southerners that makes me terrified about raising my children in the south.

#yankeesnob

Where are you from WFfb? I'm just making my transition back to the north. Tis a scary place.

Let me "axe" you a question may be my favorite culturally normative language quirk.

No, his point was that there were not Belks throughout the state so that explanation wasn't possible.

I have. I was just going to say, I know there are Belks in Raleigh and the Boone area.

And what prominent business with a 200,000 square foot building on the main road in town that everyone visits and carries around a credit card with its name on it and watches their ads on TV is named "Belks?" There's not one. What is the second most prominent business in NC, or the world, named Belk or Belks?

Belk's Towing? Belk's Demolition? Belk's HVAC? Belk's Critter Removal? Belk's Cafe?

Guys, I just want to say what happened last week was NOT COOL. My girlfriend hops was really upset. I didn't know what was wrong. She was so quiet on our runs and she brought home most of her carrot snacks from work each night and she would always finish them before. She really enjoys that part of her day. I saw her checking the internet a lot and knew something was up so I checked and she kept coming to this website. I was a little relieved because I thought maybe it was something else, like she found out I skipped a fartleg workout last week or smoked weed once in college. Anyway, I'm headed out for a run, but this is not over!!

THEY'VE BEEN HERE HALF A DAY AND EVERYONE IS EITHER CONFUSED OR PISSED I'VE HAD IT

Guys, I just want to say what happened last week was NOT COOL. My girlfriend hops was really upset. I didn't know what was wrong. She was so quiet on our runs and she brought home most of her carrot snacks from work each night and she would always finish them before. She really enjoys that part of her day. I saw her checking the internet a lot and knew something was up so I checked and she kept coming to this website. I was a little relieved because I thought maybe it was something else, like she found out I skipped a fartleg workout last week or smoked weed once in college. Anyway, I'm headed out for a run, but this is not over!!

:bowrofl:

Enjoy the wedding hopstoy

such promise, but such a fail.

Belks is one of my biggest pet peeves. I really dont understand how that caught on or why so many southerners say that, but it's one of those things I associate with southerners that makes me terrified about raising my children in the south.

#yankeesnob

You people are missing the point. I don't think this is an ignorant southern thing - more like an anachronism that is hanging on by being handed down. When the Belk family first opened their store(s), it would have been natural for folks in the area, many of whom would have known the family, to refer to the store as Belks'. Just like if I knew a guy named Fred that opened a store called "Fred" I might refer to it as Fred's - since it is Fred's store.

I have never heard ignorant southern folk refer to "Nordstroms" or "Wal-Marts" or anything else - people just do it with Belk and with JCP and I think it relates back to the possessive form in relation to the family that started them.

Weren't some of the BELK stores franchises with a weird name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back