• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 2023: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Mario games, I'm a huge videogame music nerd and I think the music for Odyssey is some of the best in-game music I've heard. I was watching a Youtube video yesterday of the recording sessions showing off the different instruments that were used for the wide variety of sounds, like the music in Bowser's Kingdom which had a feudal Japan look, or the music from the Plaza part of the Luncheon Kingdom that sounded like something right out of Italy, and since the whole level was food-related, they used lots of kitchen utensils to make the actual music. Plus you have the whole Jump Up Superstar part which is probably one of my favorite videogame sequences ever. Nintendo's music has always just been next-level. Can't imagine how much fun it would have been to be a part of the soundtrack.

I've posted this before, but the Wooded Kingdom music is awesome.

I mean, it's all good in that game... But that's my favorite by far.

Also, the Assist Mode in that game is so great. Allowed my 6 yo and 4 yo daughters to play the game without getting too frustrated or confused. The downside is that I tried to get them to play Galaxy and Sunshine and they aren't nearly as interested... The controls are tougher.

Our top family games are Mario Kart, Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Zelda: BOTW. Need some others for their age range that don't suck.

I've posted this before, but the Wooded Kingdom music is awesome.

I mean, it's all good in that game... But that's my favorite by far.

Also, the Assist Mode in that game is so great. Allowed my 6 yo and 4 yo daughters to play the game without getting too frustrated or confused. The downside is that I tried to get them to play Galaxy and Sunshine and they aren't nearly as interested... The controls are tougher.

Our top family games are Mario Kart, Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Zelda: BOTW. Need some others for their age range that don't suck.

yeah we played Odyssey together and then went back to Galaxy, which wasn't too bad but i had to do most of the playing. But Sunshine is fucking garbage, 64 is a lot better than Sunshine

yeah we played Odyssey together and then went back to Galaxy, which wasn't too bad but i had to do most of the playing. But Sunshine is fucking garbage, 64 is a lot better than Sunshine

I want to like Sunshine, but I can't get the hang of the controls and it shouldn't be a struggle.

I beat Galaxy on the Wii like 12 years ago... Great game. My kids just haven't gotten into it.

I've done a little 64, but it is so dated that it's tough to enjoy compared to the newer games. My kids were like, "Daddy, what is wrong with this game?"

So should I get Mario World 3D + Bowser's Fury? Would they be able to enjoy it? Seems like the multi-player aspect of it would be fun.

3D world is a lot of fun. Me and my four year old also liked New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. The rabbit mode makes it super easy for kids.

I want to like Sunshine, but I can't get the hang of the controls and it shouldn't be a struggle.

I beat Galaxy on the Wii like 12 years ago... Great game. My kids just haven't gotten into it.

I've done a little 64, but it is so dated that it's tough to enjoy compared to the newer games. My kids were like, "Daddy, what is wrong with this game?"

So should I get Mario World 3D + Bowser's Fury? Would they be able to enjoy it? Seems like the multi-player aspect of it would be fun.

the multiplayer is pretty fun, as long as no one is getting hyper competitive.

My daughter enjoyed Galaxy the most, i think. she loves Rosalina and the lumas.

also my daughter will just spend like 15-20 minutes just playing with the cats in Fury. letting them chase her around and picking them up/throwing them

The 5yo has one of our old cell phones that we gave to her as her "phone", but it just has educational games and we only let her use it for about 15 minutes a day or so. At what age did y'all pull the trigger on letting your kids play an actual console? I'm not really big on the idea and would much rather her spend her time playing outside or something active, but I also don't want to be one of those Puritan parents that denies shit like that and ensures she gets addicted to it later on. I was just never really a gamer so the whole concept is foreign to me.

What're your thoughts on the volcano vaporizers? The ones where you pull it from the bags?

I'd assume the healthiest way to consume it would capsules and edibles.

problem I'm talking about isn't the method of consumption, but what THC does to you over long periods of time

the short version is that it makes all the times you aren't high feel really dull and affects your memory, ability to track things while reading, etc.

weed plus smartphones has really done a number on my cognitive capacity -- the good news, though, is that it's not irreversible

The 5yo has one of our old cell phones that we gave to her as her "phone", but it just has educational games and we only let her use it for about 15 minutes a day or so. At what age did y'all pull the trigger on letting your kids play an actual console? I'm not really big on the idea and would much rather her spend her time playing outside or something active, but I also don't want to be one of those Puritan parents that denies shit like that and ensures she gets addicted to it later on. I was just never really a gamer so the whole concept is foreign to me.

my daughter only plays with me and we started around 4yo (5 in a month). mostly she just watches and sometimes will do easy stuff in mario like running around the hubs or playing mariokart. we only play for like an hour together here or there as a special activity.

I grew up with no video games in the house and only played at friends' houses

I used to wish for one when I was a kid, but I'm pretty grateful now that we didn't have any -- we used to come up with so many games as kids

I don't have any video games now because I have no self control once that enters my house

also IO i'm really liking this Deacon King Kong book

First day of solo parenting while my wife is out of town, and I sorely underestimated the amount of time it would take to prep all his bottles and snacks for the day. I'm already running up against the "probably not that strict, but there's no way in hell I'm risking being turned away and stuck with a 9-month-old all day" drop-off deadline, when I pull out of the neighborhood and get stuck behind Grampa Fishing Hat going 15 mph below the speed limit. I made it with one minute to spare. It's going to be that kind of day...

My wife hates video games. I've always really enjoyed them... My dad and I used to play the heck out of Pac-Man and Pole Position on the Atari 5200. Then I had a Gameboy that I played all of the time. And then PC games. And on and on.

We don't let our kids play much. My wife and I like to work out together on the weekends, so they get to play for 2 hours each day on Saturday and Sunday while the 2 year old naps and my wife and I exercise. They each get to pick a game for an hour. If it is a 1 player game, the other person just watches. Lately they've been playing a lot of Mario Kart, so they just play that together. I'll usually join them for an hour of that time after I'm done working out.

They don't play at all during the week... EXCEPT if my wife is going out to do something social (rare). Then, my 6yo and I might squeeze in an hour on a random Tuesday night.

I'd much rather they play console games than that absolute shit I see them playing on the Amazon Fire tablet we have... The stuff that is supposed to be "educational" on there is just awful. And I'd also rather they play games than just sit there and watch TV... At least there is some interaction (especially if they are playing together).

I bought the Switch for Christmas 2019... So my oldest was 5.5. Started with Zelda, which was largely too much for her... But she's always really liked Mario Kart (and the 4yo can also play). Once I got Luigi's Mansion 3 last summer, it was all over for the 6yo... She was hooked. That was a fun one to play together. Then Odyssey was fantastic, too.

I think as the weather improves (and we move to our new house next month), that 2 hours on the weekend will go away for the most part... They'll want to be outside with my wife and I while we're working out. Not to be with us... Just to ride bikes and run around and stuff.

Hmm I have my old NES and SNES in my house and my daughter is nearly 6. It might be just about time to break out Super Mario Bros. She won’t know the difference graphics wise and honestly I won’t either, having barely played video games this side of N64.

Daddy why are there bite marks on the controller? Well when I was your age I could not handle the frustration of fucking Mario brothers and the pressure to beat a whole game in one sitting without saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back