• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Brasky #2: Back when the CT was real

Status
Not open for further replies.
You scared yet, bro.

Not after the workout I just did.

I'd give you the details, but it's a secret.

OK, it was just a bunch of db step-ups and presses... But I had my wife attach my ball sack to the car battery to make it more like Tough Mudder.

Not after the workout I just did.

I'd give you the details, but it's a secret.

OK, it was just a bunch of db step-ups and presses... But I had my wife attach my ball sack to the car battery to make it more like Tough Mudder.

So how long before she took your testicles back after the workout was over?

why is our country fucked no matter what

I think I've been though this a number of times around here. I'm sure I sound like a wacko.

I just think complacency will do us in. Laziness. Either crumbling from within, some sort of class/political warfare, or something as simple as a war with China/Russia. Things have been far too good for far too long in the USA. So now we argue over dumb shit like it is the most important stuff ever and we treat each other like enemies. Politics is more like rooting for your favorite team instead of trying to solve problems. Or a substitute for religion.

But I tend to lean Libertarian, so I think government is pretty worthless.

i just don't buy the overheating thing

what is your scariest realistic inflation scenario? 3.5%? 5%?

Way higher. But it wouldn't take much.

Agree with pretty much all Mr. Iron Eagle said. Stimmy is late. Supply chain has all kinds of issues right now. Diggstown was all over it with his comments. Too much money chasing too few available goods. It's probably temporary, but if the Fed stays too low for too long, it could all go south in a hurry and then they don't have anything they can do.

An Officer and a Gentleman.

Which chat thread did we do all that Charleston restaurant discussion again? Because I didn't write it down then and I'm actually going next weekend. Also, has anyone ever done a harbor tour or one of those sunset dinner things on the harbor?

Hey, while you're there, could you fuck my ex-girlfriend? She crazy hot. But she ended up marrying some douche-canoe instead of spending a lifetime of me taking her to the shallow end of boner city.

I thought it was hilarious. Great toxic masculinity.

Toxic masculinity is my trademark, bro.

I think I've been though this a number of times around here. I'm sure I sound like a wacko.

I just think complacency will do us in. Laziness. Either crumbling from within, some sort of class/political warfare, or something as simple as a war with China/Russia. Things have been far too good for far too long in the USA. So now we argue over dumb shit like it is the most important stuff ever and we treat each other like enemies. Politics is more like rooting for your favorite team instead of trying to solve problems. Or a substitute for religion.

We're also letting free speech and big tech make half the country dumber while China's over there surveilling everything you do and becoming a leader in all new tech that's gonna leave us in the dust.

We're also letting free speech and big tech make half the country dumber while China's over there surveilling everything you do and becoming a leader in all new tech that's gonna leave us in the dust.

The whole country.

i just don't buy the overheating thing

what is your scariest realistic inflation scenario? 3.5%? 5%?

Bruh, Lumber is up like fucking 300%.

This isn't economy wide inflation. It's a bunch of smallish inflationary bubbles that are merging together at times. I lust for big brains to talk about this shit with. Alas, DeacATS and I are the only folks seemingly interested in it, and we're basically inside each other on how we think.

God, you get me so hard.

Bruh, you'd best hope that they leave us in the dust. The way China is utilizing technology today isn't to push things forward, it's to keep them the fucking same. And they are getting really fucking good at it.

Good news! My wife has earmarked our stimmybux to go to our vacation this year. Nevermind all the shit she wants for our new house. That's just gonna come from somewhere else.

I don't even remember telling her about the stimulus. Maybe it showed up in an US Weekly e-mail.

Well I hope you bring a more optimistic attitude to the tough Mudder.

Headed to the bus stop to pick up my daughter from her first day of school!

It's March 11th, by the way.

Bruh, Lumber is up like fucking 300%.

This isn't economy wide inflation. It's a bunch of smallish inflationary bubbles that are merging together at times. I lust for big brains to talk about this shit with. Alas, DeacATS and I are the only folks seemingly interested in it, and we're basically inside each other on how we think.

God, you get me so hard.

ok some caveats: i'm not an economist and i'm also pretty dumb and get my information almost exclusively from either leftist podcasts or just by talking to my neolib friends but

aren't you conflating supply chain problems with macro economic conditions? even larry summers has pulled back from his whole overheating comments. pulling the 2T lever during peacetime scares people but it just means you have to monitor more closely, right? if you've got your foot on teh accelerator you just gotta be paying attention at the fed, checking both lanes and the rear view mirror with interest rates? feels like we've shown that the phillips curve is broken as hell in this economy. it costs less than ever to service our debts, right? money is cheap. should do it to the tune of $15T over the next decade to stop the world from boiling to death.

my big concern hasn't really been mentioned here, which is the gig economy and automation. are we still going to be scared of minor inflationary effects when UBI becomes utterly unavoidable? feels like we need more smart people talking about that at Labor. the minimum wage thing is kind of a no brainer. make a cutoff for small biz size so it doesn't crush them, force big businesses to pay more, accept burgers cost $0.10 more, and let's lift another 10 mm out of poverty. but what happens when we lose truck drivers and cashiers and security etc etc.

ok some caveats: i'm not an economist and i'm also pretty dumb and get my information almost exclusively from either leftist podcasts or just by talking to my neolib friends but

aren't you conflating supply chain problems with macro economic conditions? even larry summers has pulled back from his whole overheating comments. pulling the 2T lever during peacetime scares people but it just means you have to monitor more closely, right? if you've got your foot on teh accelerator you just gotta be paying attention at the fed, checking both lanes and the rear view mirror with interest rates? feels like we've shown that the phillips curve is broken as hell in this economy. it costs less than ever to service our debts, right? money is cheap. should do it to the tune of $15T over the next decade to stop the world from boiling to death.

my big concern hasn't really been mentioned here, which is the gig economy and automation. are we still going to be scared of minor inflationary effects when UBI becomes utterly unavoidable? feels like we need more smart people talking about that at Labor. the minimum wage thing is kind of a no brainer. make a cutoff for small biz size so it doesn't crush them, force big businesses to pay more, accept burgers cost $0.10 more, and let's lift another 10 mm out of poverty. but what happens when we lose truck drivers and cashiers and security etc etc.

Yeah, the supply chain stuff is temporary. But it is coming at a time when demand is increasing (and shifting)... That can cause some weird shit to happen. And even with the recent "rate scare" we are still at historically low interest rates. I've been in the camp that rates will be very low for the foreseeable future... So I get the urge to "make hay while the sun is shining", but I also think that things can change on a dime and most of us haven't been through actual inflation before (myself included).

The Economist has published some good stuff on inflation lately, and it has been pretty even-handed. I don't think I can link to it, though.

The bottom line is that anyone who tells you what is going to happen with the macroeconomy is probably wrong. That's why I think it is important to be relatively cautious and to be in a position where we are equipped to deal with the unexpected when it inevitably happens.

I'm probably not responding to your specific questions very well, but just trying to explain my thinking.

And I actually think raising the minimum wage is overdue... Would be great to do it in a targeted way as you suggest.

God, you get me so hard.

giphy.gif

Your last paragraph falls outside the scope of what ATS and I are focusing on.

We're both looking at the next year or two. There are absolutely supply chain problems, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a co-mingled problem.

You can exert pressure from both sides of the market. A 2x4 costs ~$0.25/ft. in "normal" conditions. If you add a pandemic, which removes the vast majority of supply of 2x4's, the price jumps to ~$1.00/ft. Then you give everyone in the Country $2,000 and they want to build a deck. Well, now that motherfucker is ~$2.00/ft and oh my fucking god, the weekend warrior is now seriously impacting the ability for large-scale contractors to effectively build housing.

It's happening in that sector right now, and you have a collision of shit causing a lot of problems. The cheap money typically leads to people buying houses (low interest rates r gud). However, we're straight up running out of houses for peoople to move in to. The GSO area typically has something like 4,000 SFH's on the market at any given time. We're in a world where that's more like 40 at any given time right now. Same thing as the 2x4 - demand is out-stripping supply. But then you've also got the added problem of Rufus - my 60-something buddy who wants to build a house, but won't put his house on the market, because lumber prices are too high to build a new home. So those inflationary bubbles start to merge.

Couple that with my most-often-used HVAC contractor being STRAIGHT FUCKED. All of his best techs have been fired or won't come back from a layoff because they are slaying it in unemployment. So he's dicking around with garbage techs that - I shit you not - have come back over 20 times to the last job they did for me (typically, new SFH should have 4 maybe 5 HVAC visits). Stack on top of that a totally wild problem getting new/replacement HVAC parts that are totally fucking random. Register vents? We have 123124,42,35435463 of them. Motherboards for furnaces? We have negative 234249328 of them and we're backordered so deep in the ass that you'd better consider fucking geothermal.

It's cool to say, "awww...yeah, macro economic policy and shit," but the economy is usually an ocean, but right now it is acting like a fucking four year old in a bathtub sloshing fucking water on the ceiling.

Yeah, the supply chain stuff is temporary. But it is coming at a time when demand is increasing (and shifting)... That can cause some weird shit to happen. And even with the recent "rate scare" we are still at historically low interest rates. I've been in the camp that rates will be very low for the foreseeable future... So I get the urge to "make hay while the sun is shining", but I also think that things can change on a dime and most of us haven't been through actual inflation before (myself included).

The Economist has published some good stuff on inflation lately, and it has been pretty even-handed. I don't think I can link to it, though.

The bottom line is that anyone who tells you what is going to happen with the macroeconomy is probably wrong. That's why I think it is important to be relatively cautious and to be in a position where we are equipped to deal with the unexpected when it inevitably happens.

I'm probably not responding to your specific questions very well, but just trying to explain my thinking.

And I actually think raising the minimum wage is overdue... Would be great to do it in a targeted way as you suggest.

It took me 60 second longer to come to completion, but we're both now ready for a cigarette, bb.

Just to your point - the sustained unemployment benefits have had the practical effect of raising the minimum wage for huge sectors of the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back