• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Brasky #2: Back when the CT was real

Status
Not open for further replies.
downtown Asheville is pretty meh

South Slope is loaded w/ great spots though, even if they're overcrowded af on the weekends. We basically only hit downtown up on weekdays for eating, unless we have friends in town that wanna drink around the city.

This is close, but we have more now in "east" west AVL, so I wouldn't head down the hill right away after tacos.

Taco Billy for breakfast + Hole for dessert, start the brewery tour at Cellarest tho (new joint that is small batch and pretty awesome so far, it's going to be my new favorite neighborhood brewery once we move into new house, I can tell already), maybe hit up Archetype since it's a solid vibe spot, THEN head down to NB/Wedge, and then if you still have the stamina of a 20-something, head to south slope for BURIAL -> Green Man -> Catawba while waiting for Buxton.

Buxton did a pop-up thing over the winter called Little Louie's that's back on hiatus now, but holy shit, they basically only did bbq chicken pizzas and brisket cheesesteaks, and it was the best shit. Really hoping he's planning on re-opening that concept somewhere full time.

Also, if you're in West AVL, you really can't top combo of Zia Taqueria for NM style casual mex with great margs, and then hit up The Whale next door for a great tap/bottle list.. and go across the street to One World Brewing. That's a an extremely solid afternoon/evening by itself.

The Admiral
Biscuit Head
Curate
Taco Billy
Hole doughnuts

^- These are the ones from barca's list I fuck w/ the most. A few more I'd throw on:

Jargon for a nice dinner in West AVL if you are staying around there/have a reason to be over there and want something "fancier" (it's still AVL tho)
Nine Mile (either location) always slaps
Red Ginger downtown for some pretty great dim sum (mostly just make this a once-a-month spot for the soup dumplings, fuck I love soup dumplings)
Chai Pani, another awesome reliable downtown spot we'll actually make the trip for
Limones
Zambra is a great "backup" option for Curate, pretty underrated IMO
Rosabees (if they're still around, I think they are), Hawaiian inspiried cuisine in RAD
Chiesa in Montford for fresh-to-death intimate italian spot, they treat you like family there, super nice owner

Good list. Wasn’t sure which of these places were open like Chai Pani. I also didn’t add Buxton since I know they’re takeout only rn. But since brews is coming in the fall they’ll hopefully be open. I read today that they announced all the vendors for the new food hall downtown, and it includes a Highland brewing bar and a Buxton fried chicken sandwich stand. Bun intended gonna have a Thai street food spot there too.

Forgot about Limones and Red Ginger. Nine Mile is great but I always gloss over it since it’s a lunch spot for me with the Biltmore Park location a quick walk from the office. Have wanted to hit Rosabees. Was gonna go for brunch back in the fall but we ended up canceling.

Again, really really jonesing to doing some serious dining out soon. Highland is another good brewery to add but a bit off the beaten path. Salvage Station another good spot to see a show or just get a drink. Fingers crossed JRAD will actually play there this year as scheduled.

Good list. Wasn’t sure which of these places were open like Chai Pani. I also didn’t add Buxton since I know they’re takeout only rn. But since brews is coming in the fall they’ll hopefully be open. I read today that they announced all the vendors for the new food hall downtown, and it includes a Highland brewing bar and a Buxton fried chicken sandwich stand. Bun intended gonna have a Thai street food spot there too.

Forgot about Limones and Red Ginger. Nine Mile is great but I always gloss over it since it’s a lunch spot for me with the Biltmore Park location a quick walk from the office. Have wanted to hit Rosabees. Was gonna go for brunch back in the fall but we ended up canceling.

Again, really really jonesing to doing some serious dining out soon. Highland is another good brewery to add but a bit off the beaten path. Salvage Station another good spot to see a show or just get a drink. Fingers crossed JRAD will actually play there this year as scheduled.

Ah yeah, I'm counting on most of these places being open for indoor dining again by fall since I had prior knowledge of that timeline.. Chai Pani is definitely takeout only right now.

I forgot all about that food hall, sounds pretty dope. Agreed that Highland is great if off the beaten path. On nice days the rooftop bar is just sweet. I'd rather drive there for off-the-path drinking vs Sierra Nevada I think (though everyone should see that SN compound at least once).

We went to Rosabees for lunch early last year and asolutely loved some of the food I got. We had planned on going back for a nicer dinner + drinks but pandemic ruined those plans as well.

I like Salvage Station, but they are big anti-dog which I don't love for an outdoor brewery/space. I get it though. Enjoy seeing shows there.

Ha, I always forget about that Nine Mile location too, it's definitely the weirdest of the 3 and feels the least nice (though iirc the food is still just as solid), we used to hit that up before movies over there. That's awesome you can hit it up easily for lunch, I would probably get so fat (even though their lunch portions are more reasonable).

Rocky’s on the way out of town and poop poop poop all the way home

Yeah Rockys is sweet.

The Biltmore Park Nine Mile used to be this Five Guys ripoff burger pace so maybe that’s why it feels that way.

Have a soft spot for Salsa’s downtown but have no idea if it’s actually good

Charleston is indeed an amazing jogging city, except when you have terrible beer shit cramps hit halfway through your run. Then I find it severely lacking in public bathroom facilities at 7 am.

Spoiler for today's crossword

I was so fucking proud of myself for pulling the name ALANMENCKEN for 63A since it fit the clue and fit the letters. But turns out there is no C in his name so I was wrong on two levels.

Last edited:
There is a Prince's outpost in Greenville, SC as well.

Hot chicken is addicting.

Have a soft spot for Salsa’s downtown but have no idea if it’s actually good

Salsas is still pretty good, I just have a hard time ever justifying it over other downtown options a lot of the time because usually if I'm eating downtown it's for a special occasion and we want a more upscale meal, OR we're craving something very unique like chai pani/red ginger that you can't get anywhere else in Asheville. Plenty of Mexican options around town and Nine Mile hits the Caribbean spot better for me. If I were staying downtown or something it'd probably make the list.

it’s not for most of you lame-o’s and your chrisL politics but Firestorm Books is great

Yeah we’ve gotten some good stuff there. Some friends got us a couple of very touching adoption books we read to our son.

Spoiler for today's crossword

I was so fucking proud of myself for pulling the name ALANMENCKEN for 63A since it fit the clue and fit the letters. But turns out there is no C in his name so I was wrong on two levels.

Another weird double answer:

my first thought was DRAFTDODGER which was a perfect fit for the clue and the letters

I’m drunk and Charleston is the most basic white chick city in the South. So many goddamn bachelorette parties.

With the caveat I haven’t been to most of these in a long ass time and I’m not sure if they’re all actually open for dining-in:

The Admiral
Vivian
Bouchon or their sister restaurant Rendezvous (latter off the beaten path but has a big outdoor area we went to a lot last fall)
Table
Sierra Nevada (not open now but supposedly opening in May)
Biscuit Head
Curate
Taco Billy
Hole doughnuts
White Labs

Damn it’s probably been like 8 years since I lived in Asheville. Some good names on this list.

Is Nine Mile still around that place fucked?

I also thought Vinnies had pretty good Italian.

I was poor AF when I lived in Asheville so I don’t know any of the higher end shit.

Also thought the By Water bar on rhe French broad was fun, especially after being in the river.

Heard the French broad is low key ruined by tons of tubing companies and shit. Non of that was going down when I was living there, and the river was chill as fuck.

It’s possible Asheville has gotten worse and it was already the most overrated city in the southeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back