• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Brasky #2: Back when the CT was real

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the caveat I haven’t been to most of these in a long ass time and I’m not sure if they’re all actually open for dining-in:

The Admiral
Vivian
Bouchon or their sister restaurant Rendezvous (latter off the beaten path but has a big outdoor area we went to a lot last fall)
Table
Sierra Nevada (not open now but supposedly opening in May)
Biscuit Head
Curate
Taco Billy
Hole doughnuts
White Labs

Kukowt might have more recent recs. Baby + pandemic have severely limited my dining out since like December 2019

Thank you! I forgot cookout lived there too. Thinking maybe driving up for a weekend in the fall and wanted to start the research.

If you’re planning to go to the mountains this fall you might want to look into lodging very soon. It’s going to be nuts up there this fall. I looked at hotels for a weekend this fall and it’s filling up fast.

Santorini / Cape Town / Tokyo

I've never understood what HR is about other than hiring vacant roles and saying 'no' to 99% of requests for new roles and helping peanut butter spread the annual review increases. HR needs to be better about rewarding top employees and firing bad ones.

If you’re planning to go to the mountains this fall you might want to look into lodging very soon. It’s going to be nuts up there this fall. I looked at hotels for a weekend this fall and it’s filling up fast.

what's your fav hotel up there? biltmore? grove park?

probably won't be in the room too much but also I like nice/unique hotels

Thank you! I forgot cookout lived there too. Thinking maybe driving up for a weekend in the fall and wanted to start the research.

Yeah if it’s the fall hopefully more places will be open that I know are closed. Hit me up again as you get a bit closer as we hope to get out a lot this summer.

Wedge is one of my favorite Asheville hangs

Yeah breweries would be:

Both Wedges
Sierra
New Belgium
Burial
Hillman
Riverside Rhapsody
Asheville Brewing
Catawba while waiting for a table at Buxton Hall

I’ve not been since they opened but Dsolver is putting out good stuff, can’t speak to their space. A new brewery called Cellarist just opened that looks cool and supposedly has good beer. The Whale is one of our favorite bars in town and has really unique beer offerings from all over. And you can get good food from Haywood Common next door.

HR is about helping people? feels like it's about managing workers.

If you work for a decent company, which is hard to come by, the function of HR should be talent acquisition and retention via maximizing benefits and salary, boosting morale, etc.

In actuality at most places, HR just manages petty conflict and administers what little benefit they get away with.

In right to work offices there’s still room for good HR. My company (in my view) has excellent Human Resources. We have a self funded healthcare plan that’s really good and costs employees very little out of pocket, we have some excellent perks (reimbursable hobby/interest budget, vacation/sick policy, flex hours, anniversary benefits, bonuses, etc), they do industry salary study every other year to keep us competitive, etc.

what's your fav hotel up there? biltmore? grove park?

probably won't be in the room too much but also I like nice/unique hotels

Grove Park is great but overpriced for some really Holiday Inn type rooms unless you want to upgrade and really spend some money. I don’t think it’s worth it unless you’re the for the spa experience and plan to spend 80% of your time on property.

Love the Biltmore Inn because it’s so relaxing. They have a cheaper hotel on the Peyton that is similar to an Aloft.

My personal preference is to find an AirBNB in downtown and walk everywhere. If I can’t get that then Aloft and Indigo Inn are both good.

Biltmore inn is great

Santorini sucks. It’s dirty and windy as hell. The postcards only show the roofs of the buildings for a reason.

Airbnb in west Asheville near taco billy for breakfast tacos, start the brew tour at new Belgium, walk across river to wedge, and then up through arts district and downtown is the move

HR's main role is to not let the company get sued.

With the caveat I haven’t been to most of these in a long ass time and I’m not sure if they’re all actually open for dining-in:

The Admiral
Vivian
Bouchon or their sister restaurant Rendezvous (latter off the beaten path but has a big outdoor area we went to a lot last fall)
Table
Sierra Nevada (not open now but supposedly opening in May)
Biscuit Head
Curate
Taco Billy
Hole doughnuts
White Labs

Bhramari does a solid lunch. That Korean chicken sandwich is money.

Grove Park is great but overpriced for some really Holiday Inn type rooms unless you want to upgrade and really spend some money. I don’t think it’s worth it unless you’re the for the spa experience and plan to spend 80% of your time on property.

Love the Biltmore Inn because it’s so relaxing. They have a cheaper hotel on the Peyton that is similar to an Aloft.

My personal preference is to find an AirBNB in downtown and walk everywhere. If I can’t get that then Aloft and Indigo Inn are both good.

downtown Asheville is pretty meh

And Rhubarb too.

So nice to be able to walk back to your room after a 5-star meal with a lot of wine.

Airbnb in west Asheville near taco billy for breakfast tacos, start the brew tour at new Belgium, walk across river to wedge, and then up through arts district and downtown is the move

This is close, but we have more now in "east" west AVL, so I wouldn't head down the hill right away after tacos.

Taco Billy for breakfast + Hole for dessert, start the brewery tour at Cellarest tho (new joint that is small batch and pretty awesome so far, it's going to be my new favorite neighborhood brewery once we move into new house, I can tell already), maybe hit up Archetype since it's a solid vibe spot, THEN head down to NB/Wedge, and then if you still have the stamina of a 20-something, head to south slope for BURIAL -> Green Man -> Catawba while waiting for Buxton.

Buxton did a pop-up thing over the winter called Little Louie's that's back on hiatus now, but holy shit, they basically only did bbq chicken pizzas and brisket cheesesteaks, and it was the best shit. Really hoping he's planning on re-opening that concept somewhere full time.

Also, if you're in West AVL, you really can't top combo of Zia Taqueria for NM style casual mex with great margs, and then hit up The Whale next door for a great tap/bottle list.. and go across the street to One World Brewing. That's a an extremely solid afternoon/evening by itself.

The Admiral
Biscuit Head
Curate
Taco Billy
Hole doughnuts

^- These are the ones from barca's list I fuck w/ the most. A few more I'd throw on:

Jargon for a nice dinner in West AVL if you are staying around there/have a reason to be over there and want something "fancier" (it's still AVL tho)
Nine Mile (either location) always slaps
Red Ginger downtown for some pretty great dim sum (mostly just make this a once-a-month spot for the soup dumplings, fuck I love soup dumplings)
Chai Pani, another awesome reliable downtown spot we'll actually make the trip for
Limones
Zambra is a great "backup" option for Curate, pretty underrated IMO
Rosabees (if they're still around, I think they are), Hawaiian inspiried cuisine in RAD
Chiesa in Montford for fresh-to-death intimate italian spot, they treat you like family there, super nice owner

And Rhubarb too.

So nice to be able to walk back to your room after a 5-star meal with a lot of wine.

Rhubarb is the one resto that's highly rated in AVL I've been to once and just walked away not that impressed. I need to give it another shot maybe. I've had meals I liked a lot better next door at Posana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back