• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT CCXLVIII: CANCEL REDSOXFANS EVERYWHERE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go out to eat so someone else can make me food better than I can and I don’t have to clean up and I can talk to people not to save money. Same as going on vacation.

And you're stimulating the local economy, which is important.

I'm strongly considering just forgoing eating out altogether. The inflation has just made it crazy. I used to eat at steakhouses alot, but when average steak prices are $70 there's just no motivation since I can eat a perfectly fine steak at home. Italian food and sushi is all I'm still holding onto, and we even went to the grocery store and brought home yellowtail belly and toro to make at home the other night. But like we're travelling to portland tomorrow, and I've got all my lunches and dinners mapped out and while I like the experience of tasting menus and stuff, I'm not sure if I'm gonna experience something new at this point.

Went out to a steakhouse with my wife a couple of weeks ago. We got the menu and my wife, without hesitation, says to the waitress... "These are the most expensive steaks I have ever seen! Do you realize how high your prices are? Are other people telling you this?" The waitress just kind of laughed and mentioned inflation.

This is why I rarely let my wife leave our home, except to go to the grocery store or to pick up our kids from school.

But yeah, prices are high... And I am highly skeptical that they'll come back down at all once we move beyond a COVID impacted world.

I'm pretty much done with ordering expensive wine at a restaurant though. I'd rather buy two bottles of it for the same price at a local wine shop and drink them both.

So there's a girl at my son's school named Olive. I asked the family if they know what her last name was and the all reflexively replied, "The Other Reindeer."

But I switched the game on them and informed them that her last name is actually "The Lights."

I caught 16 mice in my garage over 10 days in August. The garage is about 10 feet from my kitchen, so there was major risk for a home invasion. But but we never saw any evidence of any mouse inside the house and after 10 years as a cat owner I can finally appreciate the value of owning a cat.

We saw some evidence of mice (droppings) in our basement, so I put our cat down there for a few hours and all he did was piss all over my backup set of golf clubs.

I also had a pest control guy come out to the house to give us his assessment of things. He found one major hole that the builder didn't fill properly around a pipe and wanted $600 to fill it. So I did it myself for $10 and we haven't had any issues in a month.

In addition to the mouse droppings, we also had a pretty large snake in our basement (probably following the mice)... Found him with his head poking out of a couch we keep down there. Resisted the urge to just set the whole thing on fire.

I can’t bring myself to order a bottle of wine in a restaurant. I’ll google the label and find out that $30 bottle on the menu really costs $3. Not for me. Let the people like plama and biff goose your margins.

We saw some evidence of mice (droppings) in our basement, so I put our cat down there for a few hours and all he did was piss all over my backup set of golf clubs.

I also had a pest control guy come out to the house to give us his assessment of things. He found one major hole that the builder didn't fill properly around a pipe and wanted $600 to fill it. So I did it myself for $10 and we haven't had any issues in a month.

In addition to the mouse droppings, we also had a pretty large snake in our basement (probably following the mice)... Found him with his head poking out of a couch we keep down there. Resisted the urge to just set the whole thing on fire.

Ha! I left the garage door open for hours one Saturday doing yard work and found a black racer in the garage that night. Definitely following the mice smell.

So there's a girl at my son's school named Olive. I asked the family if they know what her last name was and the all reflexively replied, "The Other Reindeer."

But I switched the game on them and informed them that her last name is actually "The Lights."

We have a book: Olive, The Other Reindeer.

It sucks.

I'm strongly considering just forgoing eating out altogether. The inflation has just made it crazy. I used to eat at steakhouses alot, but when average steak prices are $70 there's just no motivation since I can eat a perfectly fine steak at home. Italian food and sushi is all I'm still holding onto, and we even went to the grocery store and brought home yellowtail belly and toro to make at home the other night. But like we're travelling to portland tomorrow, and I've got all my lunches and dinners mapped out and while I like the experience of tasting menus and stuff, I'm not sure if I'm gonna experience something new at this point.

So I grew up in a house where the only Italian food we ever had was spaghetti with red sauce, and as I grew older I branched out to chicken parm. Never a big Italian food guy though. But now that people have been bringing casseroles and lasagna's over, it has opened up a whole new world of Italian food to me. I am all about just ordering random Italian food now and seeing what it is. Extremely eye opening.

I can’t bring myself to order a bottle of wine in a restaurant. I’ll google the label and find out that $30 bottle on the menu really costs $3. Not for me. Let the people like plama and biff goose your margins.

I don't order bottles at restaurants. 2-3 glasses tops. Still they're averaging $16-20/glass, after tax and tip its $25 for a glass of wine.

No, you still have to order wine though. Just don't go crazy unless you're on an expense account.

My guideline is I try to stay under $80 at a nice meal in case I need to order a second bottle. My wife has a slightly higher guideline which leads to some of these reactions at the table while she peruses the wine list.

tommy-look.gif

So I grew up in a house where the only Italian food we ever had was spaghetti with red sauce, and as I grew older I branched out to chicken parm. Never a big Italian food guy though. But now that people have been bringing casseroles and lasagna's over, it has opened up a whole new world of Italian food to me. I am all about just ordering random Italian food now and seeing what it is. Extremely eye opening.

My favorite place in town does a Crab Ravioli in squid ink pasta in a saffron sauce that is out of this world. They also do a risotto in a saffron sauce that is similarly out of this world. I think I just like saffron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back