• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Need a guy who can rig a frogger machine so that I can moveit without losing power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got the Lae & Order theme playing in my head now.

this is empathy my dude

I don't really have to imagine myself in his position to experience the emotion coming from him though. That's what's kinda surreal about it. It's just such a

Maybe it's kinda like talking to someone walking who has just almost been hit by a car (like maybe if I saw it happen or was able to speak with them seconds afterwards). I don't have to even empathize to feel/see/experience their relief.

i'm curious what the effect of 10 years vs. 25 years re: deterrence, rehabilitation, or public safety

Is the sense of relief in part due to his age? 25 years means something different to a guy in his 20s than in his 40s. To me it seems like an extremely long time in either case.

Can't really share details about the guy, but it was a situation where he could have very well spent the rest of his life in a prison. Odds are, now he lives to see the outside again.

I don't really have to imagine myself in his position to experience the emotion coming from him though. That's what's kinda surreal about it. It's just such a

Maybe it's kinda like talking to someone walking who has just almost been hit by a car (like maybe if I saw it happen or was able to speak with them seconds afterwards). I don't have to even empathize to feel/see/experience their relief.

I don't understand empathy as having to place yourself in someone's shoes

just sharing their emotional experience

sympathy-vs-empathy_0066f46bde.jpg

i'm curious what the effect of 10 years vs. 25 years re: deterrence, rehabilitation, or public safety

The United States Sentencing Commission's studies have indicated that 10 years is a "tipping point." A sentence of less than ten years has a relatively diminished impact on recidivism. Once you hit the 10 year mark, a longer sentence has diminishing returns.

It's so hard (when selecting a sentence), because there is a population of people that once they enter prison for anything more than 3 years, they have a REALLY hard time shaking off the lessons learned in institutionalization. Turn out, when you're around felons all day, every day, it's hard not to be influenced by that.

Federal Judges have some very ugly decisions to make. I would never want to do it.

The United States Sentencing Commission's studies have indicated that 10 years is a "tipping point." A sentence of less than ten years has a relatively diminished impact on recidivism. Once you hit the 10 year mark, a longer sentence has diminishing returns.

It's so hard (when selecting a sentence), because there is a population of people that once they enter prison for anything more than 3 years, they have a REALLY hard time shaking off the lessons learned in institutionalization. Turn out, when you're around felons all day, every day, it's hard not to be influenced by that.

Federal Judges have some very ugly decisions to make. I would never want to do it.

yeah, i wasn't even thinking about the effects of being institutionalized -- seems like a self-defeating system

kudos and vibes for navigating it every day

I don't understand empathy as having to place yourself in someone's shoes

just sharing their emotional experience

I always thought of empathy and sympathy as "putting yourself in someone else's shoes." The difference being that empathy requires experience with their situation.

I'm open to your interpretation though.

yeah, i wasn't even thinking about the effects of being institutionalized -- seems like a self-defeating system

kudos and vibes for navigating it every day

It is a self-defeating system, but it's a system that has found an energy resting point. By that, I mean that all of the decisions being made are minimal friction, so they happen all the time, regardless of the long-term cost.

Here's a real head spinner. 99.9% of federal defendants looking at prison sentences did not/do not have a father figure in their lives. It's the ONE great unifier for federal crime; the only constant.

Every federal judge knows this.

And every federal judge, every day they have sentencing hearings, has to make the decision whether to perpetuate that cycle. Every time.

These are not stupid Judges, they are (almost universally) the smartest person in the room. I've had a Judge state on the record, "Mr. X, I do not want to put you in prison. I'm looking at your two young boys seated behind you in the gallery. When I make the decision to put you in prison, I know exactly what I am doing to the odds those two young boys have. Mr. X, your decisions regarding the instant offense conduct have tied my hands. The need to protect the public from your actions, the safety of the community, require a sentence of imprisonment. I want you to know how your decisions have impacted your children."

It is one of the strangest things to sit with a man who you've just told will be in prison for 25 years and you're both happy that it wasn't longer. Bittersweet isn't the right word, it's more like overwhelming relief. I don't really feel the emotion first hand - I'm not going to prison - but the emotion coming from the other person is so strong that it just washes over me. Infectious relief? Second hand emotion?

I think it's called "gay."

My wife hit a bird with her minivan this morning and called me up crying.

Wife (through tears) "I'm going to be home in a few minutes and I think I hit a bird. I see feathers coming from up in the grill. Can you please be ready in the driveway to check?"

She pulls up and, sure enough, there is a bird (6-8 inches?) visible in her grill. Head caught in the grill, rest of body just hanging lifelessly out the front... legs dangling where you can clearly see.

We were still on the phone at this point and when she saw the confirmation in my face that she did, indeed, hit and kill a bird, she started hysterically bawling.

So I took a couple of yard tools that I have and gently removed the bird and tossed it into the woods behind our house.

It was a very odd mix of me feeling really bad for her (and the bird) in that moment and also thinking it was absolutely fucking hilarious. Funny only because she had called and warned me about maybe hitting a bird and then when she came around the corner it could not have been more obvious that a dead bird was hanging in front of her car. But maybe you had to be there.

Anyway, that's what happened this morning. Perk of working from home.

I had a very close peer-mentor relationship with a (Republican) district judge before I went to Wake, and he anecdotally shared that same viewpoint all the time. What goes unmentioned is that poverty is the controlling variable in crime prediction, not fatherlessness.

My wife hit a bird with her minivan this morning and called me up crying.

Wife (through tears) "I'm going to be home in a few minutes and I think I hit a bird. I see feathers coming from up in the grill. Can you please be ready in the driveway to check?"

She pulls up and, sure enough, there is a bird (6-8 inches?) visible in her grill. Head caught in the grill, rest of body just hanging lifelessly out the front... legs dangling where you can clearly see.

We were still on the phone at this point and when she saw the confirmation in my face that she did, indeed, hit and kill a bird, she started hysterically bawling.

So I took a couple of yard tools that I have and gently removed the bird and tossed it into the woods behind our house.

It was a very odd mix of me feeling really bad for her (and the bird) in that moment and also thinking it was absolutely fucking hilarious. Funny only because she had called and warned me about maybe hitting a bird and then when she came around the corner it could not have been more obvious that a dead bird was hanging in front of her car. But maybe you had to be there.

Anyway, that's what happened this morning. Perk of working from home.

I empathize with your wife on this one.

It is one of the strangest things to sit with a man who you've just told will be in prison for 25 years and you're both happy that it wasn't longer. Bittersweet isn't the right word, it's more like overwhelming relief. I don't really feel the emotion first hand - I'm not going to prison - but the emotion coming from the other person is so strong that it just washes over me. Infectious relief? Second hand emotion?
empathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back