• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT part Deux: Where imaginary best friends are made

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about that Breecourt Manor assault, huh?

Poor Andrew Scott gettin' blown up in a trench.

Putting work pants on today has only reinforced the knowledge I have been neglecting my Peloton. Who would have thought that several months in sweat pants would hide the slow onset of increased bulges.

I have a topic that may be of interest to the CT. Let me start by saying I'm trying hard not to be "that mom" and I definitely do not helicopter.

My son (almost 21) is ready to propose to his GF (almost 20). They are both in college (same school) and they understand that they are in for a long engagement because they will not get married until both of them have graduated. They've been dating four years. We love her and I can't wait to have a daughter.

For the last three years, she's come with us on our pre-Christmas ski trip to Snowshoe. They both love it up there, so that's where he intends to make the ask.

So here's my question: when you guys proposed, are there things you did (or didn't do) that in hindsight you wish you had done (or hadn't done)? Obviously it has to be special to them, but I'm trying to help where I can since we'll all be up there together. For example, my son told me that GF wants a photographer on site to capture the moment. That boy's in college and doing all the things, so I told him I'd make arrangements for a photographer.

Adding: the ring is under way. He's working with a jeweler locally to reset my grandmother's diamond in GF's style.

I have a topic that may be of interest to the CT. Let me start by saying I'm trying hard not to be "that mom" and I definitely do not helicopter.

My son (almost 21) is ready to propose to his GF (almost 20). They are both in college (same school) and they understand that they are in for a long engagement because they will not get married until both of them have graduated. They've been dating four years. We love her and I can't wait to have a daughter.

For the last three years, she's come with us on our pre-Christmas ski trip to Snowshoe. They both love it up there, so that's where he intends to make the ask.

So here's my question: when you guys proposed, are there things you did (or didn't do) that in hindsight you wish you had done (or hadn't done)? Obviously it has to be special to them, but I'm trying to help where I can since we'll all be up there together. For example, my son told me that GF wants a photographer on site to capture the moment. That boy's in college and doing all the things, so I told him I'd make arrangements for a photographer.

Adding: the ring is under way. He's working with a jeweler locally to reset my grandmother's diamond in GF's style.
One thing I wish that I hadn't done was propose when I was 21.

joking aside. The photographer thing is cool. I don't totally understand how it works, do you just forego suprise etc?
But i love the idea of a photographer

joking aside. The photographer thing is cool. I don't totally understand how it works, do you just forego suprise etc?
No, you hire a photographer and they try to blend in/be secretive but know who the "targets" are an don't do anything until the moment has arrived. They can shoot from a distance and stay sneaky.

Do they?

I know some people who have hired photographers. Sounds like they're pretty used to getting instructions for the time and place it's going down so they can hide and like pop out from a bush or trash can or something.

Last edited:
Just have the photographer hide out in here:

bi-fold-closet-door.jpg

I'd just make sure there are clear expectations communicated on how both families are going to be involved. Like do they want you guys there when it happens, do they want a little time to themselves after the proposal and before being surrounded by family, etc.?

I would also check with him to make sure he's considering how her family is involved/gets to be a part of this too, assuming they're close. I can imagine a situation where a family might feel a little left out if the proposal goes down on a vacay with the other family, so it would be wise for him to go over the whole plan with them in detail just to make sure feelings don't get hurt. It could also be a really nice gesture for them to FaceTime with her family or something before getting up with your family, since you'll all already be there and can share the moment in-person.

No, you hire a photographer and they try to blend in/be secretive but know who the "targets" are an don't do anything until the moment has arrived. They can shoot from a distance and stay sneaky.
This is the plan. He is definitely not the first person to do this at Snowshoe and the photographer I contacted has done it several times before.
They say so. They are both pretty career-driven so we shall see. They are both crystal clear on our expectations and her family's expectations on that score.
I'd just make sure there are clear expectations communicated on how both families are going to be involved. Like do they want you guys there when it happens, do they want a little time to themselves after the proposal and before being surrounded by family, etc.?

I would also check with him to make sure he's considering how her family is involved/gets to be a part of this too, assuming they're close. I can imagine a situation where a family might feel a little left out if the proposal goes down on a vacay with the other family, so it would be wise for him to go over the whole plan with them in detail just to make sure feelings don't get hurt. It could also be a really nice gesture for them to FaceTime with her family or something before getting up with your family, since you'll all already be there and can share the moment in-person.
I should have mentioned this. We have become very good friends with her family and they are actually driving to Snowshoe the day after we do to be on hand for the big moment. She does not know that, of course. They know the plan, have a place rented, and son also has talked with GF's dad for the whole blessing thing.

The neat thing about your son getting married so early is you'll get to have another engagement/wedding to help him with in 10-15 years.
I get this. And as much as we love her I will admit here that I wish he wasn't doing this this year. But he is. It was his decision and he's made it. So we're gonna roll with it.

I get this. And as much as we love her I will admit here that I wish he wasn't doing this this year. But he is. It was his decision and he's made it. So we're gonna roll with it.
Things WCD's mother has said for $500 Alex! You're a good mom wakegrrl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back