• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT, pickles and political therapy, perfect ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks beliefs here are so deeply set that they are unwilling to listen to an opposing side. Out of respect I refuse to argue or share. We are closer than y’all think but I’m not willing to write a 15 page paper to justify my beliefs.

If someone is maybe not clear on what is going on with the current Republican agenda and how it is impacting trans and queer people I guess I'd first try and educate them on it to the best of my knowledge. If they are actively okay with it and/or encourage that kind of legislation then I know they are probably not a good person.

If they aren't okay with it, but still voting people into office that are prioritizing that kind of legislation, I guess I'd try and dig in on the why? Obviously SOME issue is more important to them than actively ensuring American citizens have the right to medical care and the right to exist. If that issue is something banal like "taxes", I think, again... that might say more about them as a person than they think, but I'll try and keep an open mind given their background or the hardships they are personally facing.

At the end of the day, I probably haven't changed any minds, but maybe I've given people one more thing to think about and maybe elucidated the real world impact of things like "Don't Say Gay" laws or banning transgender health care. IDK. Just doing my best to exist and protect people I care about.

I think NOT speaking out or saying anything and pretending that people aren't actively being hurt is not something I can personally stand by or that would help me sleep better at night.
i love this post. i love the search for truth. i always feel better if i can point to WHY you and I disagree about something, vs. simply throwing my hands up. you're smart, i'm smart, we're both nice people - so why don't we see this issue the same way? It takes time, curiosity, patience, and open mindedness, and that process gets blown up every time someone wades into a discussion with a "why don't you just admit you're RACIOST" style comment.

YOU, DF2009, have long been a person who holds the mirror up and asks people to consider their positions. I hope it means something to you that you have done it enough times that I think of you in that way.

Folks beliefs here are so deeply set that they are unwilling to listen to an opposing side. Out of respect I refuse to argue or share. We are closer than y’all think but I’m not willing to write a 15 page paper to justify my beliefs.
I just don't think this is true, particularly on the CT (tunnels, definitely). Again, though, it probably depends on exactly what set of beliefs you are trying to change.

Take this with a grain of salt as it comes from someone who spent all day pouting because their Tiger joke didn’t get the proper recognition it rightfully deserved, but must people here don’t actually know one another, so any dislike they may have is based on their own perception of your internet persona and not who you actually are as a person, so you can’t take it personally. I’m sure if we all hung it, it would a great time and everyone would get along fine. There are facets of everyone’s persona that we agree with or disagree, but that doesn’t mean we dislike them.

Also if there were hypothetically anyone who did dislike someone, they probably have bad taste in hats and their opinion shouldn’t really bother you.

On this point, I disagree with you (while still liking you.) I do appreciate that you don't have the time/energy to argue it like that, but calling people close minded and unwilling to listen is the same thing that frustrates you when it's turned on you.

I agree with 09 You have almost 2,000 posts you could easily take the time to expand on your beliefs. The only thing is fear of rejection. A truly thought out response with reasoning and logic will be a center point of discussion and everyone will learn something.

I think some deep thought is a good outcome of open discussion. Birdman’s explanation of how Florida and other anti-trans laws directly affect him and his family is very impactful, wouldn’t ever get that without the back and forth.
And we’re constantly asking him to justify his pro-avian agenda

you don’t have to write a 15 page paper just to have a conversation.

People have their beliefs, and you probably won’t change their vote, but it is still helpful to have a conversation to understand why people voting the other way think the way they do. Only talking politics with people who think the same way that you do is one of the reasons we have so much polarization in this country.

Cedar Key Christmas Bird Count today. Felt great to be out side all day looking at birds for a change.

On this point, I disagree with you (while still liking you.) I do appreciate that you don't have the time/energy to argue it like that, but calling people close minded and unwilling to listen is the same thing that frustrates you when it's turned on you.
That’s not what I was going for. I did a poor job of that. There are people personally involved in certain issues and I respect their views. Maybe that’s a better way of putting it?

i love this post. i love the search for truth. i always feel better if i can point to WHY you and I disagree about something, vs. simply throwing my hands up. you're smart, i'm smart, we're both nice people - so why don't we see this issue the same way? It takes time, curiosity, patience, and open mindedness, and that process gets blown up every time someone wades into a discussion with a "why don't you just admit you're RACIOST" style comment.

YOU, DF2009, have long been a person who holds the mirror up and asks people to consider their positions. I hope it means something to you that you have done it enough times that I think of you in that way.

I spent years in a position of relative privilege (or maybe ignorance) where I tried to take a more moderate stance and avoid confrontation at any cost (because I really am wary of the CT becoming too much like the tunnels and like any other person just want to be liked!). It was only recently (the last 3 years or so) that I've realized what a mistake this was through my own broadened experience and being fortunate to have met some really special people who I will fight like hell to defend. So I appreciate it.

It does take a toll, though. It is definitely a lot easier to just talk about what I had for breakfast and sometimes that is all I have energy for. Thankfully the CT will always be here for that as long as we don't upset the delicate ecosystem too much.

Cedar Key Christmas Bird Count today. Felt great to be out side all day looking at birds for a change.
So my wife was listening to NPR on her way to work today and it was all about the woodpecker relocation going on from Georgia to somewhere and when she got home she was really excited to ask if that was you on the radio talking about it. I said no.

Somewhere along the way, I convinced my 5 year old that people who live on Jupiter talk like socal surfers, so now he requests I read books in a Jupiter voice and we talk like where from Jupiter. I guess what I'm saying is sometimes parenting is rad.

I would like to point out once again I have never independently brought up New England prep schools. There’s only one poster that does that and it’s the one that was in ski club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back