• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CTYB3.0: real post or fake post? tune in to find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife dropped Hulu today. We are living in poverty now and only have YouTube TV, Netflix and Prime. Thinking about adding Paramount so we can start watching Yellowstone.

Hard for me to squeeze in non-drinking days.

I'm off on Sunday and Monday so I generally enjoy off-day beverages.
Generally stop by my wife's bar after work on Tuesdays since we close a little early
Tastings at the shop on Wednesday
Thursdays: sometimes off days!
Fridays: bottle open to siphon off folks waiting for ramen in the same little building we're in
Saturdays: continue pouring same bottle but also my Friday night so generally have a couple beverages when I get home.

Plus reps come in throughout the week to taste us on wine and there's generally an industry event I go to direclty for work or general networking once every 2 weeks or so.

It's a difficult cross to bear but I will wear it.

I think the only way to end the AI stuff is to have five prompts written by AI and five by CT posters. The panel needs to identify the AI or they're here to stay. What say ye CT bros?

Wait, did DDD seriously quit because he was triggered that someone was lazy?
Yeah man. I took a break.

I had just finished revisiting a literary work that is foundational to how I live my life, and it really doesn't like "lazy." While going to Wake, I really struggled to square a lot of what I saw there in terms of privilege and mindset with my different view of the world. To have that foundational literary work fresh in my mind, and then have a sharp reminder of how differently some Wake folk see the world - just too much.

I'm overly sensitive to it because of the experiences that I had at Wake. For example, while in law school, I had a chance to go to Nicaragua on a mission trip to deliver targeted legal aid to two organizations there. A few days after arriving, our small troupe of law students was invited to the Nicaragua Nexus Wake Forest Campus.

Upon arrival, I was just appalled. Like, I don't have words to adequately describe my feelings upon seeing that place. We had just spent two days helping people who ate one meal a day learn how to negotiate and navigate fair trade agreements to get their hand-made products into the United States. The Nicaragua Campus is literally a white mansion on top of a hill. It is a repurposed 6,000+ square feet mansion that sits high above the filth of the city. It is palatial. It is clearly designed as a visitation destination for Wake students. Every step in that place was brutal; the only Nicaraguans I saw in that place had a white towel draped over one arm.

Just as shocking was how all of the other Deacs there ate it up. After I spoke with my chaperone professors about my perspective, I think they really understood. The business school students were slamming back cuba libres poured by a Nicaraguan woman in I-shit-you-not a french maid uniform.

This ties in to the lazy thing because lazy is a privilege. Lazy means you don't have to worry about food. Shelter. Providing. Lazy is the opposite of providing. Which is anathema to my world view.

I had just finished revisiting a literary work that is foundational to how I live my life, and it really doesn't like "lazy." While going to Wake, I really struggled to square a lot of what I saw there in terms of privilege and mindset with my different view of the world. To have that foundational literary work fresh in my mind, and then have a sharp reminder of how differently some Wake folk see the world - just too much.
I know we joke about it, but this foundational work isn't Ayn Rand right.....

Hard for me to squeeze in non-drinking days.

I'm off on Sunday and Monday so I generally enjoy off-day beverages.
Generally stop by my wife's bar after work on Tuesdays since we close a little early
Tastings at the shop on Wednesday
Thursdays: sometimes off days!
Fridays: bottle open to siphon off folks waiting for ramen in the same little building we're in
Saturdays: continue pouring same bottle but also my Friday night so generally have a couple beverages when I get home.

Plus reps come in throughout the week to taste us on wine and there's generally an industry event I go to direclty for work or general networking once every 2 weeks or so.

It's a difficult cross to bear but I will wear it.
I can get behind this kind of routine.

Also, I bet being married to a bartender is a p cool gig. I bartend some on the weekends and it's basically like creating your own little movie every night. Vibes are usually good if the team gets along, and most good bars give you authority to tell anyone to GTFO at any point, which is also nice. Also, having skills to make 50+ drinks isn't a bad skill to have. The money can really slap at times too. It's secondary income for me, and can be stressful, but it's work I never dread, which I can't say about my actual career.

This ties in to the lazy thing because lazy is a privilege. Lazy means you don't have to worry about food. Shelter. Providing. Lazy is the opposite of providing. Which is anathema to my world view.
I have a lot of thoughts about this but I'll just keep them to myself this time

sorry again, knight!

I can get behind this kind of routine.

Also, I bet being married to a bartender is a p cool gig. I bartend some on the weekends and it's basically like creating your own little movie every night. Vibes are usually good if the team gets along, and most good bars give you authority to tell anyone to GTFO at any point, which is also nice. Also, having skills to make 50+ drinks isn't a bad skill to have. The money can really slap at times too. It's secondary income for me, and can be stressful, but it's work I never dread, which I can't say about my actual career.
Yeah it's definitely cool. Downside is that our schedules aren't the same (although better than it was when I was working like 8-8 and she worked 12-12 and we only had one off day shared) and that as the head bartender she works like 70 hours a week, but the money is very VERY good. Mentioned it before but very physically demanding on your body. She also enters 4-6 cocktail competitions a year and got to go to Nicaragua a couple months back after winning the New England regional in one (plus won like $1500).

I also cried at Modern Family 3 times today so I’m not sure I’m in the healthiest mental space right now.

Yeah it's definitely cool. Downside is that our schedules aren't the same (although better than it was when I was working like 8-8 and she worked 12-12 and we only had one off day shared) and that as the head bartender she works like 70 hours a week, but the money is very VERY good. Mentioned it before but very physically demanding on your body. She also enters 4-6 cocktail competitions a year and got to go to Nicaragua a couple months back after winning the New England regional in one (plus won like $1500).
Yeah hours are less than ideal. I wouldn't have it in me to do it full-time. Until people do it they don't realize how much more there is to it other than the actual bartending part. That's cool! Make that money while she's young and has the energy.

That's what I tell myself when I finish a 50 hr work week only to work the bar 20 hours on the weekend. "Creamy do it while you're young". One day you won't have the energy to do it.

In other words, I'm not lazy, for the record.

I also cried at Modern Family 3 times today so I’m not sure I’m in the healthiest mental space right now.
There's absolutely no shame in this. If you don't tear up at some Modern Family then you aren't doing it right. Fucking beautiful show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back