• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Culture Change?

Yeah, really. Heck, the way Devin Thomas has blown up in the last 24 hours, the odds of him leaving early has probably gone up. If he comes in next year and has a Jordan Williams soph year type year and leaves, is he a sign of bad culture? Of course not.

I think Devin Thomas is a little closer to 6'7 than 6'9, which means he will need to work on his jumpshot if he is going anywhere in 2 years.

Oh yeah...I love the numbers he is putting up in HS - can't wait for him to be a Deac!

In a post earlier I meant that neither jj nor Teague were nba locks when they arrived. Jj in particular. One of te reasons I think jj was so per-nba is that if hoops didn't work he was going to be a pro kick boxer - in his mind anyway. I fully expect him to do just that in 5 years or so when his nba career is over. Then open some gyms andante martial arts commentary on tv. The education he could have received would have helped him greatly in the later part of his career. Now he'll need to add a business partner and pay them for the expertise

Isn't JJ in good standing?

Actions speak louder than words to me.

No, he's not. He stopped going to classes right after the end of the NCAA Tournament despite there still being a good 6 weeks or so left in the semester. It hurt our APR

I hope you're also noticing how much of that "crap" that you referenced above, occurred under [Redacted]'s leadership. You might want to take a look at how many players he ran off at Colorado. I say there's more "crap" around Wake basketball now than there's ever been.

BuzzOut - Till he's gone.

You mean besides having the crap land in his lap. Let's take a look:

Swinton - no
Teague - no
Sex scandel -no
Woods - Bzz was here had not coached a game
JTT - Dino recruit that apparently came in with a drinking problem unless you are saying Bzz drove him to drink - Bzz actually got him to play some team ball which was a major accomplishment
Ari - really, did Bzz drive down his academic ability
Walker - probably would never have played under Dino, if he was even still on the team. Bzz appears to have pulled him back from the brink of oblivion.
Tabb - another prime example of Dino's recruiting issues, have to give credit to Bzz for giving him every opportunity to straighten himself out.

There is nothing on this list that would not have happened under Dino. Dino signed players with issues Bzz had to deal with the results.

JTT - Dino recruit that apparently came in with a drinking problem unless you are saying Bzz drove him to drink - Bzz actually got him to play some team ball which was a major accomplishment

Bzz absolutely drives me to drink, so who knows

:circlejerk:

Jaybone and the like can keep their pet theories on culture change. The truth is that Ari had to have retained his academic eligibility in order to transfer, so anyone questioning his ability to handle Wake Forest is talking out of their ass. That's more bullshit then saying that JJ wasn't Wake material because of some rumor of an offhand comment he made to a coach during the summer, before he had even declared a real major.

cville deac if you think anyone thought JJ or Teague were more NBA type guys than CMM you are crazy. No one thought either had the potential or skill to be where they ended up after 2 years. That's why they weren't rated in the top 20. After the top 20 or so recruiting becomes a lot less accurate. That's why there is such variation in all of the lists outside the top guys.

IIRC, JJ & Teague were top-50 recruits. JJ in particular was a couple of years older entering college, and again IIRC, Deman and others were saying at the time he was coming in that he probably wouldn't stay 4 years if his game was ready. As I said, I'm excited to see CMM play at Wake. And sure, a guy just in the top-100 could blow up once he gets here. But I'd wager that more top-50 kids turn pro early than kids ranked in the #75-100 range.

There are two players who never wore the old gold and black, and the fact that neither one did also factors into the culture change.

Skip didn't want to offer Wes Miller a "preferred walk-on" status. Not a good way to influence the guy who paid for the practice facility. It's not like the guy was a total incompetent. He did play some for an ACC school just down the road. Wes might have significantly helped after CP3 departed.

Sammy Zeglinski the son of a WFU football player apparently wasn't interesting enough for Dino. Therefore he is starting for UVA.

Wake isn't and hasn't been good enough, or deep enough to turn down ACC starter talent when it is delivered on a silver platter.

Link

When I got my release, the coaches at Wake Forest called and asked if they could do anything to help. They said they'd love to have me at Wake if I was interested, but they also offered to call other schools. I'm still grateful to them for that...

I gave it a couple days and I still felt great about Carolina. I never seriously thought about Wake. At that time I thought of myself as a point guard, and Wake had Chris Paul. Everybody knew how good he was and I thought he would be there a long time. Raymond Felton had been at Carolina a year and people were already talking about him going to the NBA.

-Wes Miller, The Road To Blue Heaven

You mean besides having the crap land in his lap. Let's take a look:

Swinton - no Irrelevant
Teague - no Irrelevant
Sex scandel -no Irrelevant
Woods - Bzz was here had not coached a game So?
JTT - Dino recruit that apparently came in with a drinking problem unless you are saying Bzz drove him to drink - Bzz actually got him to play some team ball which was a major accomplishment Probably true that Bzz drove him to drink among other things.
Ari - really, did Bzz drive down his academic ability A lot of students have academic issues, but that's not why he left now is it?
Walker - probably would never have played under Dino, if he was even still on the team. Bzz appears to have pulled him back from the brink of oblivion. Really! Is that your expert opinion?
Tabb - another prime example of Dino's recruiting issues, have to give credit to Bzz for giving him every opportunity to straighten himself out. It would have been nice to see how Tabb would have responded to Dino or some other real coaching leadership.

There is nothing on this list that would not have happened under Dino. Dino signed players with issues Bzz had to deal with the results.[/QUOT

Your response is just BS. Sounds like more culture lies from the AD's office. Are you Wellman?

The whole "hire your buddy Buzz" experiment has been a COMPLETE disaster. If we're going to keep Buzz, we do NOT need to WASTE money buying the Joel. Move the games back into Reynolds and apply for membership in the CIAA. Not that we would be able to beat those teams, but there MIGHT be fewer double digit losses.

Back