• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Culture Change?

Yeah, really. Heck, the way Devin Thomas has blown up in the last 24 hours, the odds of him leaving early has probably gone up. If he comes in next year and has a Jordan Williams soph year type year and leaves, is he a sign of bad culture? Of course not.

That's exactly what I'm saying too. Changing the culture is not the mega direction change it seems. It just happened to coincide with a bunch of departures.

The question then becomes is dt and cmm a fluke? All battle? Or a sign that at least recruiting wise bzd has this dialed in?

That's exactly what I'm saying too. Changing the culture is not the mega direction change it seems. It just happened to coincide with a bunch of departures.

The question then becomes is dt and cmm a fluke? All battle? Or a sign that at least recruiting wise bzd has this dialed in?

Well it certainly won't be anything until they actually play.

OK. I'm with you, Jaybone. Can we agree that the problem is the vague use of the term "culture" and the lack of disclosure around the program? And losing, of course.

Big difference between having a press conference that is picked up by the national media and explaining locally to alumni and fans.

A lot of the people on this board 'demand' to know all the details whether they deserve to know or not.

How about explaining it to an ESPN columnist?

Jaybone is hitting one dinger after another on this thread. Major props to a great poster. I don't care if bone is buzzin, wait, or out, his posts are what this board should be about and not this constant bitching about buzz.

pos rep... wait, I pos repped another post so have to wait, but you're en fuego.

OK. I'm with you, Jaybone. Can we agree that the problem is the vague use of the term "culture" and the lack of disclosure around the program? And losing, of course.

Yes. And did you see my post above? I didn't intend to call you out before the way read it. Apologize as that was not my intent

Jaybone is hitting one dinger after another on this thread. Major props to a great poster. I don't care if bone is buzzin, wait, or out, his posts are what this board should be about and not this constant bitching about buzz.

pos rep... wait, I pos repped another post so have to wait, but you're en fuego.

Thanks man. And back at ya

Sooooo... you do care that he isn't BuzzOUT!

Thanks for clarifying.

That said, he has put forth rational talking points on this thread, so fair play to him for that.

Yea man, you are killing it ITT bone. Well done sir. How i've been feeling on the matter but put to words infinitely better than I could ever dream to do.

Obviously a player has to start off with some level of talent and skill, given that desire and work ethic is what will make them an NBA player.

Josh Howard is example one. First two year's more questions about whether he should be on the team because of his approach and attitude, certainly was not on the NBA fast track. Skip got in his head, showed him what he needed to do to get to the next level and to Howard's credit he went after it and has had a nice NBA career because of it.

If a kid blows up in his first two years, in today's college/NBA game he's most likely gone.

One thing is for sure, I want kids that are willing to work to get to that dream and are willing to be part of team to do it.

I skimmed most of this, but all everyone is doing is quantifying varying degrees of worth to a completely meaningless choice of syntax, correct?

Exactly. Culture change is BS line to take heat off the disaster that the last 1 1/2 years have been. It is really a disservice to the wake fans to be dishonest.

Swinton - paint ball sniper. Look what happened to him after he left.
Teague - selfish player, checked out when he had to share the ball
Sex scandel
Woods - hitting his girlfriend, child's mother
JTT - apparently some sort of drinking problem
Ari - apparently can't handle the work load at Wake
Walker - not emotionally ready for big time Div I athletics (at least he appears to have developed and Skips death may have derailed his development).
Tabb - probably holds the Wake record for most suspensions in a year

Call it culture or something else that's a lot of crap going around Wake hoops in a short period of time.

I hope you're also noticing how much of that "crap" that you referenced above, occurred under [Redacted]'s leadership. You might want to take a look at how many players he ran off at Colorado. I say there's more "crap" around Wake basketball now than there's ever been.

BuzzOut - Till he's gone.

I'm more embarrassed right now than I was at any time while Dino was coach...

Disagree. I think it was more embarassing in 2009 to get blown out by Miami in our first ACC tournament game and by Cleveland State in the first round of the NCAA's with 4 NBA players (3 first rounders) on a team that was earlier in the season ranked #1 in the country. The effort, the execution, the coaching was pathetic and embarassing.

Disagree. I think it was more embarassing in 2009 to get blown out by Miami in our first ACC tournament game and by Cleveland State in the first round of the NCAA's with 4 NBA players (3 first rounders) on a team that was earlier in the season ranked #1 in the country. The effort, the execution, the coaching was pathetic and embarassing.

Absolutely this. Dino was disasterous when you look back on everything. Look, I'm totally disappointed with what's occurred the last 2 seasons, but I will wait to see what Coach Bz will do with his own fully loaded team next year, and hopefully beyond. He deserves that opportunity (even though I'm just like alot of you and find myself constantly yelling at him through the espn3 broadcast during games).

What I do want to see from him is fierce, relentless determination (part of "culture"). He may not exude that in his personality, but you're not successful in the coaching business without a burning desire. I've got to believe he has the fire in the belly. (I know our football coach has it, but does not necessarily display it in his outward appearance.)

Being a "glass is half full" perspective type of person, I believe better days are ahead in our hoops program.

What I do want to see from him is fierce, relentless determination (part of "culture"). He may not exude that in his personality, but you're not successful in the coaching business without a burning desire. I've got to believe he has the fire in the belly. (I know our football coach has it, but does not necessarily display it in his outward appearance.)

1) If you haven't seen it the last two seasons, why do you expect he'll change with "his recruits."

2) He hasn't been successful in the coaching business (he's been a successful scout), so there's no evidence he has a burning desire. For reference: see career coaching record.

Wow. If James Johnson is the poster child of who Wellman doesn't want at Wake, we can kiss goodbye having a good hoops program as long as he's AD. I really loved JJ. He was an example of a guy who worked hard and really improved over his 2 years here to get his game NBA ready. As long as they're going to class and staying academically eligible, I have no problems with the JJs, CP3s and Teagues of the world. You don't want that to be the entire focus of your recruiting, but it's extremely difficult to stay competitive in a power conference when you have no pro talent.

James Johnson didn't care one bit about academics. He literally told professors and students that he was majoring in pre-NBA. He was the poster child of the type of player that we don't want anymore, and personally, I don't have a problem with that

Isn't JJ in good standing?

Actions speak louder than words to me.

Back