• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Culture Change?

It's like Wellman turned into bkf and started making decisions about our basketball program accordingly.

Wellman needs to quit using culture as an excuse because it denigrates the success of the players during the skip/dino era and I think it may also scare off recruits. We want our ex-players to rally around this program now more than ever! They make it sound like we had serious issues, but aside from the Clark incident the only issues have occurred since Dino was fired and Bzzz stepped on campus. I'm not a Dino advocate either...

Agreed, Wellman using the culture change nonsense now to try and prevent himself from looking awful is actually hurting the program. Unless you want ivy league talent every year that kind of nonsense needs to stop.

Wellman needs to quit using culture as an excuse because it denigrates the success of the players during the skip/dino era and I think it may also scare off recruits. We want our ex-players to rally around this program now more than ever! They make it sound like we had serious issues, but aside from the Clark incident the only issues have occurred since Dino was fired and Bzzz stepped on campus. I'm not a Dino advocate either...

True. It is also a personal insult to all the coaches and players of that era. They did not, and do not, deserve it. The fact that Wellman and Buzz were willing to stoop to this level tells you all you need to know about Wake "culture" under their leadership.

True. It is also a personal insult to all the coaches and players of that era. They did not, and do not, deserve it. The fact that Wellman and Buzz were willing to stoop to this level tells you all you need to know about Wake "culture" under their leadership.

Actually, stressing the need for a cultural change is the exact opposite of a personal insult. By way of example, "the integration of ACC sports in the 1960's was the result of a cultural change" is not a personal insult to those who play or coached in the segregated era. For personal insults, please see the minute by minute discourse about Ron and Jeff on this board.

Dino was fired because RW wanted to change the culture (kids with 5 star hearts who would stay 4 years and represent Wake well) and Dino thought you needed NBA talent to win in ACC (JJ, Teague, Aminu). The lack of post season success was the excuse he used publicly.

Actually, stressing the need for a cultural change is the exact opposite of a personal insult. By way of example, "the integration of ACC sports in the 1960's was the result of a cultural change" is not a personal insult to those who play or coached in the segregated era. For personal insults, please see the minute by minute discourse about Ron and Jeff on this board.

Are you seriously comparing Wellman's bullshit "culture change" to the racial integration of basketball?

Dino was fired because RW wanted to change the culture (kids with 5 star hearts who would stay 4 years and represent Wake well) and Dino thought you needed NBA talent to win in ACC (JJ, Teague, Aminu). The lack of post season success was the excuse he used publicly.

Apparently Skip thought you needed NBA level talent to win, too, since he recruited them.

agreed - i heard skip say multiple times that the team that win the ACC is usually the team with the most NBA talent.

agreed - i heard skip say multiple times that the team that win the ACC is usually the team with the most NBA talent.

It's a cliche... and we know what Skip used to say about cliches.

Does anyone agree that we can compete with 5 star hearts, instead of talent? Maybe we'll get lucky one year, but I think that's a huge mistake. Barring the Clark incident and McFarland's antics, it seemed as if those kids were pretty stand-up players and students. I frankly miss the swagger (aside from McFarland). Sometimes it went too far, but they are kids and god knows we were a lot more competitive and the atmosphere was amazing.

Does anyone agree that we can compete with 5 star hearts, instead of talent?

On occasion and with the right coaching talent, yes. But I think it will be more like our football team under Grobe, with less chance at sustained, consistent success, year in and out. The dips will be lower and the highs will come less often. On average, the 5 star heart over talent teams lose out IMO.

Does anyone agree that we can compete with 5 star hearts, instead of talent? Maybe we'll get lucky one year, but I think that's a huge mistake. Barring the Clark incident and McFarland's antics, it seemed as if those kids were pretty stand-up players and students. I frankly miss the swagger (aside from McFarland). Sometimes it went too far, but they are kids and god knows we were a lot more competitive and the atmosphere was amazing.

May we take this as the conclusion to your original well articulated post? And, if so, may we assume that preferred the Dino culture to the Jeff culture?

Were our comments, however articulated and however passionate, useful to you as a younger fan?

No. I was using it in a sentence in order to help define it, much as might be done at a spelling bee in your middle school.
Check your context, dingus. If you're not making a terrible comparison, use a fitting analogy. You know, I murdered that hamburger, like the Nazis murdered the jews.

Last edited:
Back