• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Current NC resident WFU students

jimjenkdeac

Reaction score
Just curious, are there stats as to the current WFU NC resident students vs say 25 years ago? Has it changed dramatically?

Probably; that would coincide with Wake becoming better known on a national scale. FWIW, the admissions handbook says that as of fall 2013, North Carolina is still the most highly represented state based on enrollment.

Someone posted a map showing where WF got its students. I think NC was in the 25-30% range, down from 50% when I attended.

It kind of begs the question....who is going to be sitting in BB&T field or the Joel 20 years from now.? If such a low percentage are from NC, a pretty low percentage of those not from NC are going to stay here. I'm just not sure who is going to be sitting in those seats when all of us old Deacs are dead or in nursing homes.

It kind of begs the question....who is going to be sitting in BB&T field or the Joel 20 years from now.? If such a low percentage are from NC, a pretty low percentage of those not from NC are going to stay here. I'm just not sure who is going to be sitting in those seats when all of us old Deacs are dead or in nursing homes.

Don't worry the school does a great job reaching out to the local community. End sarcasm.

How do other national private schools get fans to attend? Win, and people show up. Lose, and it really won't matter what percentage of your alumni base sticks around.

We may go through periods where we win and periods when we lose but I think it makes a significant impact over the long haul how many graduates stick around NC in terms of what we can expect in terms of stadium turnout...If there are fewer graduates within driving distance of the games, attendance will go down. Obviously winning is critical but I'm assuming that will be up and down in all likelihood.

The school's going to be twice as big as it was 25 years ago. You can cut the percentage of NC students in half and still have the same number of NC students.

How do other national private schools get fans to attend? Win, and people show up. Lose, and it really won't matter what percentage of your alumni base sticks around.

I see a shit ton of people at Syracuse games, and doubt a huge number of them are grads that stayed there.

We may go through periods where we win and periods when we lose but I think it makes a significant impact over the long haul how many graduates stick around NC in terms of what we can expect in terms of stadium turnout...If there are fewer graduates within driving distance of the games, attendance will go down. Obviously winning is critical but I'm assuming that will be up and down in all likelihood.

As someone from NC who has stayed in NC, people go where the best career options are. That's not really NC right now. I also think that future attendance of sporting events should be pretty far down on the list of selection criteria for students.

Anecdotally, not that many do. Of my friends at Wake, I think all that are still in NC were from NC with the exception of maybe one or two. Most of my friends are elsewhere.

My anecdotes strongly contradict yours. They really do, I'm not just being snarky. It would be nice though if your state legislature would actually make an effort to work with the cities that young people find appealing to keep more here. But NC is a great place for a Wake grad.

Here's my anecdote - When my dad went to Wake, 1/5 in his close group left the state after graduation. 1/5 was from out of state. 3/5 of them regularly go to football/basketball games (1 drives from Florida regularly). 2/5 occasionally go to games.

When I graduated, I'm the only one who stayed in the state and I'm 1/2 from North Carolina. I'm also the only one who goes to Wake games at all.

My anecdotes strongly contradict yours. They really do, I'm not just being snarky. It would be nice though if your state legislature would actually make an effort to work with the cities that young people find appealing to keep more here. But NC is a great place for a Wake grad.

That's fair.

The WFU website says "over 1/3" stay in NC, which I read to mean around 1/3.

"First-destination data, information collected on students six months after graduation, also shows that more than a third of Wake Forest graduates remain in North Carolina to contribute their talents to our state. Eighty-three percent of the class of 2014 shared outcomes."

Yeah that is Duke's problem with football attendance. It is easy enough to fill up Cameron with the few area alumni and casual fans, but completely different to fill up a football stadium when few alumni live locally.

My closest friends from Wake comprise a group of 9 guys. 2 from NC, 4 from TN, 1 from NY, 1 from NJ and 1 from MI. Since graduating, 4 have lived mostly in NC (gain of 2), while the others have mostly gone back to where they came from and 1 has moved around randomly.

Exactly zero of them regularly attend Wake games, including the one who lives in Winston-Salem, and they generally mock me mercilessly when I e-mail them anything about Wake sports. They are all athletic guys who were pretty much into sports when we were there and, I would guess, regularly follow sports in general. For whatever reason, Wake has completely lost them as fans. I did get a couple of them to attend the bowl game in Charlotte a few years ago...

My closest friends from Wake comprise a group of 9 guys. 2 from NC, 4 from TN, 1 from NY, 1 from NJ and 1 from MI. Since graduating, 4 have lived mostly in NC (gain of 2), while the others have mostly gone back to where they came from and 1 has moved around randomly.

Exactly zero of them regularly attend Wake games, including the one who lives in Winston-Salem, and they generally mock me mercilessly when I e-mail them anything about Wake sports. They are all athletic guys who were pretty much into sports when we were there and, I would guess, regularly follow sports in general. For whatever reason, Wake has completely lost them as fans. I did get a couple of them to attend the bowl game in Charlotte a few years ago...

Anyone want to venture a guess?

Back