• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Current NC resident WFU students

This might not be right, but I think that for most of President Hearn's tenure about 25 percent of Wake students were from NC. Before that it might have been higher. Since then I think it's been lower - I would guess around 15-18 percent today. Should be pretty easy to verify since these stats are published each year.

It's absolutely true that many non-NC natives stay in NC after graduation. Would bet that there are more non-NC natives staying than there are NC natives leaving.

This might not be right, but I think that for most of President Hearn's tenure about 25 percent of Wake students were from NC. Before that it might have been higher. Since then I think it's been lower - I would guess around 15-18 percent today. Should be pretty easy to verify since these stats are published each year.

It's absolutely true that many non-NC natives stay in NC after graduation. Would bet that there are more non-NC natives staying than there are NC natives leaving.

+1

20 years from now WFU will be 150k per year. I would think it gets harder and harder to get folks to sign up for that........

20 years from now WFU will be 150k per year. I would think it gets harder and harder to get folks to sign up for that........

That is the real issue. Wake should be a University that recruits nationally. I'd argue that doesn't mean it has to play the bullshit game of increasing tuition each year to create the illusion of increased value of its degree.

That is the real issue. Wake should be a University that recruits nationally. I'd argue that doesn't mean it has to play the bullshit game of increasing tuition each year to create the illusion of increased value of its degree.

I think this has more to do with the fact that our endowment is terrible compared to comparable schools so we can't cover the cost out of the endowment nearly as much. Shocking as it may be, tuition doesn't come close to covering the cost of educating at Wake.

I think this has more to do with the fact that our endowment is terrible compared to comparable schools so we can't cover the cost out of the endowment nearly as much. Shocking as it may be, tuition doesn't come close to covering the cost of educating at Wake.

Yet, our tuition is in line with our peer schools.

I find that very hard to believe. But then again, when Wake is hiring chaplains for subsets of 20 or so students I guess it is possible.

I find that very hard to believe. But then again, when Wake is hiring chaplains for subsets of 20 or so students I guess it is possible.

Wake is hiring part time chaplains in order to attract the children of about a quarter of the world population.

Yet, our tuition is in line with our peer schools.

Part of the reason we can actually stay in line with peer institutions is that we spend a lot of money we raise. It takes about $20 of endowment to produce $1 of spendable money. To keep up, we spend a lot of the money we raise rather than growing the endowment. It is part of the reason our endowment growth is poor.

It kind of begs the question....who is going to be sitting in BB&T field or the Joel 20 years from now.? If such a low percentage are from NC, a pretty low percentage of those not from NC are going to stay here. I'm just not sure who is going to be sitting in those seats when all of us old Deacs are dead or in nursing homes.

Easy, the same way seats are filled now. With opposing fans.

It may be hard to believe, but it is true.

I have said this elsewhere, but it is also disingenuous to look at Wake's total tuition and think that's what people pay. Most Wake students have received either scholarship or grant assistance to attend. There are plenty of people left that are paying through the nose, but the average Wake student isn't paying the sticker price.

For need based, 39.9 percent of full-time undergraduates receive some kind of need-based financial aid and the average need-based scholarship or grant award is $32,116.

Average debt at graduation is around $35,000.

If you start looking at graduate programs, cost is even harder to parse. For example, 90% of students in the divinity school receive scholarships, with the average scholarship covering 70% of tuition.

Point being, a lot of people aren't paying the full tuition or full cost to attend.

Edited since I think some of my numbers were old.

Last edited:
I would be more surprised to learn the Joel is still standing in 20 years. Probably with a couple SoCon banners in the rafters.

Part of the reason we can actually stay in line with peer institutions is that we spend a lot of money we raise. It takes about $20 of endowment to produce $1 of spendable money. To keep up, we spend a lot of the money we raise rather than growing the endowment. It is part of the reason our endowment growth is poor.

Patrick Ewing made this argument once.

It may be hard to believe, but it is true.

I have said this elsewhere, but it is also disingenuous to look at Wake's total tuition and think that's what people pay. Most Wake students have received either scholarship or grant assistance to attend. There are plenty of people left that are paying through the nose, but the average Wake student isn't paying the sticker price.

For need based, 39.9 percent of full-time undergraduates receive some kind of need-based financial aid and the average need-based scholarship or grant award is $32,116.

Except those numbers include student loans, which actually increase the cost of attendance. It's a terrible misleading stat.

Except those numbers include student loans, which actually increase the cost of attendance. It's a terrible misleading stat.

Dag. I am surprised that 60% of the students are paying full sticker with no student loans. That is a ton of coin.

What a weird way to pay for an education. Essentially it's pay for part of it, get a coupon for some of it, and put the rest on a credit card.

Back