• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cuse @ Wake 12:00PM Kick-Off for Homecoming (as expected)

In a conversation on Sunday in WF's home city with about 6 men (none with degrees from schools in the Triangle) there was lamentation for football failure this past Saturday for State, Duke, and UNC. There was no mention of the ACC team in town. To turn this college football conversation to something positive I referenced the local Winston Salem team that enjoyed some success on Saturday. All I got was this deer in the headlights look. Guys had no clue. When I filled in the blank saying Wake Forest I got an "Oh well" response. Public perception about WF and football is not easily changed by a 4-4 season nor easily changed by a couple of winning seasons including a win over an SEC opponent in a bowl game in state. No wonder the national folks get it wrong all the time when some of the home town folks have trouble even remembering WF. Sisyphus had it better! And thank goodness the Journal is letting Connor O'Neil do his thing!

I'm assuming these were OWGs, but even given that, kinda dumb that people think this way. It's not like State or UNC (or Duke) are any kind of football powers.

Only one school in this state has won an ACC title since 1990, and it isn't one of those

Give me a Wake win at 47-45. We make a miraculous stop on defense to clinch it.

I'm assuming these were OWGs, but even given that, kinda dumb that people think this way. It's not like State or UNC (or Duke) are any kind of football powers.

Only one school in this state has won an ACC title since 1990, and it isn't one of those

No. Not all OWGs. Racially and age wise quite a range for a group of six. I suspect all straight and likely really all male plus definitely male gender. That should cover the waterfront.

Wake is not relevant unless we are winning. We’ve beaten four bad teams. Time to beat a good one.

We have them right where we want them. Outdoors at our place. They're patting themselves on the back, for being ranked for the first time since the Clinton administration n

Line moved back up to +6.5 where it started. O/U is 76 (lol) still take the over.

I am nervous about this game. The Cuse offense is pretty good and our D is not that great. I expect a shootout and a close loss. My heart wants us to win but my head tells me different.

On a different note, I think that Hartman is going to be a great QB for us regardless of the season. I am excited for WF football and I believe that Clawson will continue to move us forward.

I am nervous about this game. The Cuse offense is pretty good and our D is not that great. I expect a shootout and a close loss. My heart wants us to win but my head tells me different.

On a different note, I think that Hartman is going to be a great QB for us regardless of the season. I am excited for WF football and I believe that Clawson will continue to move us forward.

"Not that great" would be an improvement. I think we've got a shot Saturday, but we're going to have to play a great game. Offense has got to score and take care of the ball and the defense needs to get some turnovers and hold them to some field goals in the redzone.

"Not that great" would be an improvement. I think we've got a shot Saturday, but we're going to have to play a great game. Offense has got to score and take care of the ball and the defense needs to get some turnovers and hold them to some field goals in the redzone.

Deacons have to win to have a reasonable chance for bowl game, for a winning season and to avoid a step back in improvement of the program. No lead is big enough against this team unless it’s the last.

We are going to have to outscore anybody we play in order to win no doubt.

Sounds like something our old radio color guy would say... what was his name? He was the king of these kinds of statements, my favorite being "Well Stan... if [player] hadn't tackled [other player], he was going for six."

ETA it was Coach Urbanik. Can't believe I forgot his name.

Last edited:
Sounds like something our old radio color guy would say... what was his name? He was the king of these kinds of statements, my favorite being "Well Stan... if [player] hadn't tackled [other player], he was going for six."
You play the game to win!
George Rogers once said, "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

I miss Urbanik. The only time I would go through the trouble of turning tv volume off and put on radio for games.

ETA it was Coach Urbanik. Can't believe I forgot his name.
To me the phrase has always meant that your defense is not very good and that you're going to have to score a ton of points to beat whoever you're playing. I don't think it's meant to be taken literally.

To me the phrase has always meant that your defense is not very good and that you're going to have to score a ton of points to beat whoever you're playing. I don't think it's meant to be taken literally.

That is what it means to non-smartasses.

Cuse 42 Wake 24

Feeling very pessimistic but hope to be proved wrong

Back