• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

Is there an option that includes the local sports broadcast networks? I was *this close* to pulling the trigger on Sling until I realized I might not be able to get the local NBC Sports affiliate (i.e. local MLB, NBA, and NHL broadcasts). Dealbreaker. Anyone have a suggestion? I can't bring myself to keep paying $138 for Comcast or FIOS.

YTTV does. At least in Winston Salem.

TWC wants me back. Was at like $220/mo, until cutting the cord and dropping to $110. Now they're willing to match the $110 for a year, and its tempting as I did like TWC better than PS Vue and AT&T. Eventhough the AT&T is supposed to be a lot faster, and does better in the speed tests, the TV will sometimes buffer, and the wife complains about the internet going in and out on her phone. Also miss being able to seamlessly rewind stuff.

Which cable alternatives offer NBATV and NFLN? I don’t think I see them listed that often.

YTTV has NBA but not NFL

Corcutters.com usually has a great spreadsheet showing what providers have what channels.

Is there an option that includes the local sports broadcast networks? I was *this close* to pulling the trigger on Sling until I realized I might not be able to get the local NBC Sports affiliate (i.e. local MLB, NBA, and NHL broadcasts).

It depends on your market. I get Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast, and those are the channels that show the Canes/Braves/Hornets in the Triad.

Which cable alternatives offer NBATV and NFLN? I don’t think I see them listed that often.

Sling has both of these.

I have a few <dumb> TVs that throughout the house that I've outfitted with Roku sticks. Two of them keep experiencing the same problem: the video doesn't match up with the sound and I have to unplug and re-boot frequently. Anyone else have this issue?

I have a few <dumb> TVs that throughout the house that I've outfitted with Roku sticks. Two of them keep experiencing the same problem: the video doesn't match up with the sound and I have to unplug and re-boot frequently. Anyone else have this issue?

Try turning off the Night Listening mode, or volume auto-leveling, or whatever they call the feature that raises the volume for quieter scenes and drops the volume for loud scenes. I recently found that to be the culprit in some audio sync issues I was having.

Try turning off the Night Listening mode, or volume auto-leveling, or whatever they call the feature that raises the volume for quieter scenes and drops the volume for loud scenes. I recently found that to be the culprit in some audio sync issues I was having.

Cool, many thanks

Can you ditch DirecTV and then be eligible for Sunday Ticket Mobile?

Does YouTubeTV allow you to fast forward through commercials on your DVR? Reading conflicting things on other forums.

The YTTV fast-forward thing confuses folks but it's not all that complex. Whatever you legitimately DVR, as in you set it to record and it records the live broadcast of it, you can fast forward.

But if you don't actually record something you can also find it pretty often in their On Demand listings. When you play those, depending on the content owner, you may get the restricted fast forward/forced commercial stuff. But that's par for the course with most of the on-demand stuff you can get online.

I think people lose track of what they've DVR'd versus what they're just picking up On Demand, mainly because the home screen kind of mixes everything together.

Does YouTubeTV allow you to fast forward through commercials on your DVR? Reading conflicting things on other forums.

And if you have your phone or a mini in the room you can just say "hey google fast forward tv 2 minutes"

And if you have your phone or a mini in the room you can just say "hey google fast forward tv 2 minutes"

I’m sure Google can just find another way to show you the ad later.

The YTTV fast-forward thing confuses folks but it's not all that complex. Whatever you legitimately DVR, as in you set it to record and it records the live broadcast of it, you can fast forward.

But if you don't actually record something you can also find it pretty often in their On Demand listings. When you play those, depending on the content owner, you may get the restricted fast forward/forced commercial stuff. But that's par for the course with most of the on-demand stuff you can get online.

I think people lose track of what they've DVR'd versus what they're just picking up On Demand, mainly because the home screen kind of mixes everything together.

I’m pretty sure they will replace your DVR’d version with the on demand version if available, and you’d have to watch commercials in that case

I’m pretty sure they will replace your DVR’d version with the on demand version if available, and you’d have to watch commercials in that case

If there's a DVR and an On Demand version of something it usually lets you pick between them, but there are some exceptions. They definitely don't replace anything your DVR - one of the best things about YTTV is the unlimited DVR cloud storage. Anyway, if there are multiple options a box appears below the episode and says "Choose a Recording" and it will show both the DVR and VOD versions. Just going through my guide and checking, pretty much anything non-network seems to offer either. Looks like some of the networks do some annoying things like CBS, I can watch a DVR of Colbert's Late Show for example the night of, near the recording time. And a week later I can watch it on DVR. But they force the VOD for the 5 days in the middle.

I guess it depends on what you watch - we're not big on network stuff outside of sports, so we very rarely encounter a forced ad situation.

I would like to cut the cord and retain Wake sports (live in FL) and the Golf Channel. Pretty much everything else is optional, though some kids channels and soccer is okay too. Does anyone share those goals and have a suggestion? Thanks.

Back