• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dallas, TX

wow, i guess a lot has changed since i lived off Greenville ave...:noidea:

Do what DDA says when he sees this thread.

Went there about a year ago. Reunion tower (wolfgang puck) was cool for drinks after dinner. I also went to a phenomenal BBQ joint in Ft. Worth, I think it was Railhead but not 100% sure. Also ate at the original El Fenix (I think) which was pretty cool.

I don't think it'll show up on any lists, but I'm pretty fond of Sonny Bryan's if you can't make it to Ft. Worth. Meat Tater is a game changer.

Also, for other Dallas locals, you can support a (this) deacon grad by visiting my wife's new dessert and coffee bar, Sugarbox. Uptown at the Mondrain, 3000 Blackburn Street. It's open now with a grand opening Friday night 5-9. I'll be the dude serving up some wine.

Staying at the W right by American Airlines arena. Will have most of Friday to look around and then all day Saturday as well. Flying back first thing on Sunday.

You'll be very near to the 6th floor museum. I have lived in Plano for nearly two years and the DFW metroplex is nothing but concrete and brick. Del Friscos has great steaks (off Dallas Tollway at Springvalley). Downtown is very picturesque at night...matter of fact the whole damn city looks better at night. NO natural beauty at all, ugliest place I have ever been to.

Last edited:
wow, i guess a lot has changed since i lived off Greenville ave...:noidea:

Yeah...I forgot they used to have a couple more there just south of Lover's Lane, but those are long gone due to zoning rules. However, the Shuck N Jive where the strippers all used to go to snort coke is still there, still has a reputation for that, and still has great cajun food.

if you're there for more than a couple of days, you really should make the drive to Ft. Worth for a day grab Angelos/Railhead or the original Kinkaid's (hamburgers) for lunch, then hit up Joe T's for dinner.

When we went back out this past June, we made a b line for joe t's before even getting to the hotel.
I disagree with the Joe T. Garcia's recommendation. Yes, it's a staple of Ft. Worth, but there are a lot of places to get better Mexican food and the wait really isn't worth it. They only have like 3 things on the menu. If he had more time and was going to be in FW, then I'd recommend it

You'll be very near to the 6th floor museum. I have lived in Plano for nearly two years and the DFW metroplex is nothing but concrete and brick. Del Friscos has great steaks (off Dallas Tollway at Springvalley). Downtown is very picturesque at night...matter of fact the whole damn city looks better at night. NO natural beauty at all, ugliest place I have ever been too.

Haha, harsh but true. Dallas is definitely a concrete jungle and the scenery only improves if you go east or north to Oklahoma.

You'll be at the W so you'll be uptown and in the middle of plenty of stuff, to include an abundance of hot chicks with douchebags on their arms (that show Most Eligible Dallas is pretty much uptown in a nutshell). You'll be close to all that uptown has to offer and all that the West End has to offer. House of Blues is close by. The DART isn't far either if you are stuck without a car. You can go to Deep Ellum on the DART or to Mockingbird Station for something different. Great Mexican joint that I recommend and nobody knows about in Deep Ellum called Pepe & Mito's on the corner of Malcolm X and Elm. Tupinamba in North Dallas is also good, as is Desperado's on Greenville Ave. around University Blvd.

Listen to other folks for steakhouse recommendations. Apparently, Pappas is great, but I always think of them as a chain.

Pepe & Mito's looks good!

I just noticed that they have a website in progress, but it has the menu up. It is good, and I used to eat there religiously before my band would have a gig in Deep Ellum. Good folks run that place, and they still recognize me when I go there. Everything I've had there is good, but recommend the chipotle enchiladas. Their sauce is the real deal. I also get a side of their chayote, which doesn't appear to be on the menu, but can be asked for. It is the only squash I eat.

Haha, harsh but true. Dallas is definitely a concrete jungle and the scenery only improves if you go east or north to Oklahoma.

You'll be at the W so you'll be uptown and in the middle of plenty of stuff, to include an abundance of hot chicks with douchebags on their arms (that show Most Eligible Dallas is pretty much uptown in a nutshell). You'll be close to all that uptown has to offer and all that the West End has to offer. House of Blues is close by. The DART isn't far either if you are stuck without a car. You can go to Deep Ellum on the DART or to Mockingbird Station for something different. Great Mexican joint that I recommend and nobody knows about in Deep Ellum called Pepe & Mito's on the corner of Malcolm X and Elm. Tupinamba in North Dallas is also good, as is Desperado's on Greenville Ave. around University Blvd.

Listen to other folks for steakhouse recommendations. Apparently, Pappas is great, but I always think of them as a chain.

ELC is trying to get you killed. It's a trap.

I disagree with the Joe T. Garcia's recommendation. Yes, it's a staple of Ft. Worth, but there are a lot of places to get better Mexican food and the wait really isn't worth it. They only have like 3 things on the menu. If he had more time and was going to be in FW, then I'd recommend it

It depends on the day/time as far as wait, but I think it's worth it. The margaritas are excellent and so is the ambiance. Granted for me, there's the nostalgia reasons as well, since we used to live there and hang out there a lot. Our rehearsal dinner was there and was an amazing time.

If you're wanting to experience Ft. Worth, you have to go to Joe T's. If you want a nicer dining experience that is still "Ft. Worth", then hit up the rooftop Reata overlooking Sundance Square.

Like SBT said, depends on where you're staying, but....:

-Original El Fenix restaurant on McKinney. Game set match.

-Mavs Game (not gonna happen, but see the Champs and Dirk in person at some point in your life!)

-Visit Cowboys stadium. And go to a Rangers game. Both are in Arlington (about 30-45 min outside of Dallas)

-Eat a burger at Burger House in Highland Park, across from SMU's campus. While I hate HP, Burger House is one of the best burgers I've had.

-BBQ - downtown/uptown = Sammy's. Do it. If you're in the 'burbs, go to Rudy's (in Frisco). ZDeac is from Houston, he's biased (Houston SUX). Dallas had great BBQ

-Dinner at The Tower Club (http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Tower-Club-Dallas). Restaurant at the top of Thanksgiving Tower where my pops works. If you're with a lady, this is especially romantic. Looks over the city. Plus, the food is to die for. Lobster Macaroni? Yup.

-For some "authentic" Texan fun, go to Gilley's. If you're there at the right time, you could catch some good country music.

-Bars: anywhere on McKinney Ave or lower Greenville Ave. Hopefully you're a short cab ride from there.

-Shopping: Northpark Mall was the first "mall" in the U.S. Warning: upscale. I don't shop there, although i did look at engagement rings there, on my YMCA salary, Ha! Galleria: Good shopping, located in the "central nervous system" part of town. Plus, you can ice skate and see a movie in the same day.

-Dallas museum of Art. I hate art, but this is a great museum.

-When will you be there? The state fair is AWESOME. Sept 30 - Oct 23. Worth it.

That's all for now.

Tupi's???? That's right across the street from where I went to HS! Love Tupi's. Not the best. But good none the less.

And PS - Dallas isn't a concrete jungle.... we are not NYC..... however, yes, you have to get "out of town" to experience open country for sure..... Out of the metroplex, that is. One of the things I dislike about being home is how big of a "city" DFW is. That's why I like Winston and Durham (oddly enough).

ELC is trying to get you killed. It's a trap.

Blah. Deep Ellum is fine. I can't remember the last time I walked through there scared because it probably hasn't happened. It isn't an upscale part of town, but it has character. It used to have more character before all the yuppies bought up the properties down there and the music venues started to suck.

Tupi's???? That's right across the street from where I went to HS! Love Tupi's. Not the best. But good none the less.

And PS - Dallas isn't a concrete jungle.... we are not NYC..... however, yes, you have to get "out of town" to experience open country for sure..... Out of the metroplex, that is. One of the things I dislike about being home is how big of a "city" DFW is. That's why I like Winston and Durham (oddly enough).

If it's the same place just south of the Galleria, then yes. Always packed. Then again, Amigo's in Richardson is always packed too and I don't find it to be all that great.

Dallas has its parts, but where he is going to be is concrete jungle city...uptown, central expressway, the tollway, downtown...the temperature is about 5-10 degrees hotter in those parts because of all the concrete.

We leave tonight, think we will probably just get dinner tonight at Craft in the W, Tom Collichio spot so hopefully its decent. Tomorrow morning we have to do a site visit and meet with a realtor. Then the rest of the time is free.

Back