• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dallas, TX

:thumbsup:

Eager to know

First off, want to thank everyone for the recommendations. The girlfriend and I took a lot of your advice and she is definitely more understanding of the time spent on the boards after she saw it actually can be a useful tool to have.

So we got in late Thursday, and went straight to the hotel, the W. It was a straight up club on entering, I guess Jason Terry was there that night so it was a mad house.

Next day we had to go over to Westlake for a site visit. We did go to the 6th Floor Museum and absolutely loved it. Favorite part of the trip. Thanks for the recommendation.

Went to Pappas that night for dinner and it was probably one of the best meals I have ever had. Not cheap though but worth every penny. Get the pecan pie if anyone goes.

Next day we went to Ft. Worth. Stockyards were very cool. Saw some armadillo races and just walked around. Went to the Joe T Garcia's place for lunch and had a really great time. It is right next to the pawn shop so we went in to the shop and it was mad ghetto. We walked around trying to find the restaurant and thought it was going to be sketchy like the pawn shop but it was gorgeous. Outdoor fountains on the patio. Good food. Great place.

That night we went to the West End, had some Thai food at Malai Thai and then went to a nice place for dessert called the Sugarbox. Great cupcakes. Your wife opened up a very nice shop, sorry we couldn't make it for the grand opening.

After that we went to Frankie's to watch the FSU/Oklahoma game.

Fun weekend, thanks to all of you guys for the help.

Cool. Sounds like you found the time to fit in a bit of everything and got the Ft. Worth staples in like the stockyards and Joe T's.

The 6th Floor Museum is cool. You really get a good perspective from both up there and down in Dealey Plaza. That shot wasn't a difficult one to make like some people think.

I am going to have to check out this new Deacon bakery, the Sugarbox

Last edited:
I did leave one important observation out from my time here in the Dallas area, the people here are some of the friendliest folks I have ever met! Even Cowboy fans!

I'll be in Dallas from Saturday morning until Tuesday afternoon. Working 12 hour days but I'm still hoping to check out a few of the places on this thread. I have three dinners in Dallas, what should I not miss?

I'll be in Dallas from Saturday morning until Tuesday afternoon. Working 12 hour days but I'm still hoping to check out a few of the places on this thread. I have three dinners in Dallas, what should I not miss?

Mexican: Javier's in University Park
Barbecue: Lockhart in Oak Cliff or Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum
Pizza: Cane Rosso in Deep Ellum or Lakewood
Sushi: Shinsei on Inwood
Fine Dining: Abacus in Uptown or The Mansion on Turtle Creek
Other: Neighborhood Services on Lovers or The Grape on Greenville

Javier's is relatively high-end Mexican food. If you want cheaper Tex-Mex, Mia's in Oak Lawn or Gloria's on Greenville is good. Mi Cocina is also good, but quality varies from location to location. Stick to the HP Village or Uptown locations and avoid the Lakewood and Lake Highlands locations.

Last edited:
Mexican: Javier's in University Park
Barbecue: Lockhart in Oak Cliff or Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum
Pizza: Cane Rosso in Deep Ellum or Lakewood
Sushi: Shinsei on Inwood
Fine Dining: Abacus in Uptown or The Mansion on Turtle Creek
Other: Neighborhood Services on Lovers or The Grape on Greenville

Javier's is relatively high-end Mexican food. If you want cheaper Tex-Mex, Mia's in Oak Lawn or Gloria's on Greenville is good. Mi Cocina is also good, but quality varies from location to location. Stick to the HP Village or Uptown locations and avoid the Lakewood and Lake Highlands locations.

Good post

I'd favor Pecan Lodge over Lockhart
Pizza: Eno's in Bishop Arts
Sushi: Shinsei is a weekly spot for me.
Fine Dining: favor Abacus over The Mansion. I would add Hibiscus even though it's a bit more casual.O

Neighborhood Services over the Grape

Burgers: Hop Doddy or Off Site Kitchen

Spainish: Casa Rubia in Trinity Groves

ETA: agree about Javier's adn the Tex-Mex. You could also do Bandito's in Snyder Plaza across from SMU campus

Last edited:
Never been other than the airport but most peep I've talked to from texas say Dallas sucks big time. why the hate? I mean texas kind of sucks in general right but what up

61 - all good choices. I prefer Pecan Lodge, as well, but I also like not waiting over an hour for barbecue. I'd also take Maple and Motor over Hopdoddy, but I'm splitting hairs; they're all excellent.

Rubbin - a lot of the hate for Dallas comes from people who go somewhere like Arlington or Frisco for a game or a convention and get the impression that Dallas is nothing but highways and strip malls even though they might have never been within 30 miles of town. Also, there are rivalries between the major Dallas cities and Houston and Dallas in particular, so you're not likely to hear positive things about Dallas from an Austinite or Houstonian.

Small Brewpub in Oak Cliff. I go there every time I visit Dallas. Go have some BBQ at Smoke and then have a drink at the bar at the Belmont Hotel next door.

61 - all good choices. I prefer Pecan Lodge, as well, but I also like not waiting over an hour for barbecue. I'd also take Maple and Motor over Hopdoddy, but I'm splitting hairs; they're all excellent.

Rubbin - a lot of the hate for Dallas comes from people who go somewhere like Arlington or Frisco for a game or a convention and get the impression that Dallas is nothing but highways and strip malls even though they might have never been within 30 miles of town. Also, there are rivalries between the major Dallas cities and Houston and Dallas in particular, so you're not likely to hear positive things about Dallas from an Austinite or Houstonian.

Exactly if you don't think the 4th largest metro area(TV market) has something to offer then you're just not trying very hard.

Dallas is a great town. Lots to offer in terms of people, food, and places. The only drawback is that it can be a bit of a concrete jungle, but that goes for most big cities.

Where will you be staying? That will affect your food choices.

Dallas is a great town. Lots to offer in terms of people, food, and places. The only drawback is that it can be a bit of a concrete jungle, but that goes for most big cities.

Where will you be staying? That will affect your food choices.

The Magnolia Hotel on Commerce. In town for our annual meeting at the convention center.

Back