• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Damari Monsanto out for the season with a torn patella (injury update thread)

It is like the universe kept trying to tell us that this wasn’t an NCAA Tournament team, and was bound and determined to drive the point home no matter what it took. Not our year, obviously.

Whatever happens from here on out, it is going to be a lot less fun without Monsanto on the floor.

Prayers for a full and speedy recovery for Damari. He is one of the most explosive players in college basketball. He will have a top medical team around him to help with a full recovery.

Consider it a blessing to have such a strong team behind you to help you rehab from this injury. You've got a bunch of people pulling for you to get well. Really hate that this happened.

When I explained it to my wife this morning, I related it to Golden State saying that Damari was our Klay Thompson, while Appleby is our Steph Curry. Our team's got some work to do without our Klay, but it's not an impossible task.
I am surprised your wife knows who Klay and Steph are

I just asked my wife to name an active NBA player and it took her 10mins to say Lebron

Her only guess prior to Lebron was Tyler Hansbrough, who currently plays for the ‘Crabmen of Santurce’ in Puerto Rico

I am surprised your wife knows who Klay and Steph are

I just asked my wife to name an active NBA player and it took her 10mins to say Lebron

Her only guess prior to Lebron was Tyler Hansbrough, who currently plays for the ‘Crabmen of Santurce’ in Puerto Rico
That’s because the NBA is boring as fuck.

Some kids just seem to be very injury-prone and Damari appears to be in that camp.

Anyone remember the huge Kentucky recruit we had back in the 80's/90's who basically never played a game due to constant injuries?
Todd May. Slim 6-8 shooting forward.

Huge bummer, hope he has a successful and speedy recovery. He's had some challenges during his WF career, no doubt. Hope he can end it with a great final season next year.

man, that is terrible for Monsanto. get well soon

Get well soon Damari.

I had the same injury when I was a lot older than Damari. It takes a while to recover - even without having to get fit enough for big-time hoops - it really does.

Does anyone know which of the two (patella vs achilles) typically is the more difficult one to recover from? I always thought the achilles was the worst option for athletes and he bounced back from that way quicker than predicted.

Probably achilles, but also depends on partial vs. complete tear, etc. Take my opinion for what it's worth. This is not exactly my field.
Achilles was the injury that ended Skip Brown's brief NBA career.
Bottom line is that if he has recovered in 6 months, he is doing VERY well. If he is fully recovered in 1 year, he is doing good.
I would expect him to play basketball next year, but not certain how effective he will be.

Awful news. Feel horrible for him. Hope he comes back strong next year (and hope he does so at Wake).

Thanks. At that time, I believe he was the biggest recruit in Wake basketball history or at least one of the top ones. I don't think the kid ever saw the court.
Sat out a year then broke foot during gold and black scrimmage in Reynolds Gym on Oct 15. I think he transferred back to Kentucky or Pikeville College after the injury.

Damnit. Damari has worked so hard to get back to where he is now. I know he can do it again but I hate that this happened to him. I don't know much about the injury or recovery times (Google says 6-12 months but NBA returns for similar injuries had varied timelines and mixed results).

I was worried (and I think others were as well) that he might leave Wake after this season but now I feel much more confident he'll be on the team in 2023-2024. He knows Wake Forest is a place where he can rehab successfully and he'll have a great support system around him. Plus a great team to come back to.
We have a big ol’ medical center with lots of good doctors providing the best and most current care/rehab.

Damari, we will miss you but know that you will come back stronger than ever. Prayers for a speedy recovery and the return of that dagger from deep!

Thanks. At that time, I believe he was the biggest recruit in Wake basketball history or at least one of the top ones. I don't think the kid ever saw the court.
I saw him play in a pick up game on campus ,he was an incredible shooter.

Last edited:
Back