• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Damari Monsanto out for the season with a torn patella (injury update thread)

I don't want to be a downer but I suffered this exact same injury probably about 5 years ago now and I still struggle with it to this day. The doctors were discussing sending me for surgery but they told me it's an absolute last resort as it's usually not particularly effective.

Damari will hopefully take his rehab a bit more seriously than I did but patella tendon injuries are an absolute nightmare to recover from and he could end up permanently losing some of his explosiveness because of this. I hope I'm wrong and he gets back to being the player he was before the injury but patella tendon injuries (and tendon injuries in general) are a nightmare for basketball players and are notorious for never really healing right.

I don't want to be a downer but I suffered this exact same injury probably about 5 years ago now and I still struggle with it to this day. The doctors were discussing sending me for surgery but they told me it's an absolute last resort as it's usually not particularly effective.

Damari will hopefully take his rehab a bit more seriously than I did but patella tendon injuries are an absolute nightmare to recover from and he could end up permanently losing some of his explosiveness because of this. I hope I'm wrong and he gets back to being the player he was before the injury but patella tendon injuries (and tendon injuries in general) are a nightmare for basketball players and are notorious for never really healing right.
The data point we have (that I wish we didn't have) is his remarkable recovery from his Achilles Tendon tear 1.5 years ago.

One thought from me, as a doctor, but not an orthopedist.
Does he have some underlying connective tissue disease that makes him more prone to injury? These are two very significant injuries to suffer. Obviously could, and likely is, just bad luck. But seems a bit too coincidental

Best wishes for Damari. I hope he's able to make a full recovery and be ready for next year. With those two injuries, he's fortunate that his game isn't based on raw athleticism.

One thought from me, as a doctor, but not an orthopedist.
Does he have some underlying connective tissue disease that makes him more prone to injury? These are two very significant injuries to suffer. Obviously could, and likely is, just bad luck. But seems a bit too coincidental

I mean, connective tissue disease? I have torn my ACL (also later meniscus in same knee) and Achilles in other leg. Moving onto elbow (ligament surgery), shoulder (rotator cuff), hernia…etc..

so you are telling me it is not my fault? I have always thought I was just too competitive in sports.

Still unfathomable to me how the injury occurred.

Giving the wolpfack all they could handle on the road to close the 1st half and then to give up an atomic bomb dunk to close it out with the season-ending injury.... in more ways than one. :(

I mean, connective tissue disease? I have torn my ACL (also later meniscus in same knee) and Achilles in other leg. Moving onto elbow (ligament surgery), shoulder (rotator cuff), hernia…etc..

so you are telling me it is not my fault? I have always thought I was just too competitive in sports.

Well you're likely just a spaz who is in bad shape. But he's a well conditioned athlete with world class nutrition. Training. Etc.

I probably shouldn’t have been that surprised about how bad our offense looked without him. But I was.

Do we know how this may affect his potential NIL deal next season? The market may be so new that it’s hard to say. Best wishes to him and I look forward to seeing him back out there next season.
No idea on NIL, but I would assume this should put to bed any possibility of transferring (to be clear, I didn’t ever think he was going to leave).

I think it's quite possible he was going to join the ranks of Wake players to leave early for questionable pro prospects.
Weirdly, I feel like this actually started on the football side. Abbate is the first one I remember doing this with no real prospects, but my pre-2004 knowledge on this isn’t great.

Weirdly, I feel like this actually started on the football side. Abbate is the first one I remember doing this with no real prospects, but my pre-2004 knowledge on this isn’t great.
I think this is right although I started paying attention in 99, so not long before you. It’s painful to think how little some of those guy ended up likely earning/achieving in the pros v. what another season with them would have meant to us.

I think this is right although I started paying attention in 99, so not long before you. It’s painful to think how little some of those guy ended up likely earning/achieving in the pros v. what another season with them would have meant to us.
I hear you. That one was especially painful but I wonder if he just needed to start fresh somewhere after all of the stuff surrounding him in ‘06.

Would have meant for us? 22 yr old making life’s choices should not have “us” as the priority.

Back