• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Damari Monsanto

I think Monsanto is pissed about PT and either shut it down or Forbes shut him down. He’s been awful

I think Monsanto is pissed about PT and either shut it down or Forbes shut him down. He’s been awful
I think PT is probably right. This is a kid who turned Carolina NIL down to come back to us. He prob feels like he earned it through loyalty and Forbes was playing him less than Parker. On Forbes end, Damari did not look good. Damari prob figures he needs to get into the game and a rhythm to look good- and in fairness, other players don’t look good and are playing. I do think it’s been an unnecessary distraction that coach should have been on top of. He’s the adult and even his postgame comments a few games ago just came across as not what I’d hope for/expect.

He’s been an exciting player to watch when healthy but Damari has been a bit of a head case throughout so it wouldn’t necessarily be surprising. Understandable that he would be upset about PT but he was pretty much unplayable.

My initial uninformed guess is that he probably feels like he sacrificed a ton to get back on the court this season, only to see his playing time drop to near zero and also give up a year of eligibility (not sure if he could have redshirted this season though). Hard to imagine someone not being resentful in that scenario.

Yeah it seems like Damari has shut it down for the season based on his posts and Forbes saying Damari told him he is hurt. He hasn’t played well recently but I sure as hell would have liked to see him the last few games. That confidence and swagger could have come in handy when everyone else was playing tight and scared. He can still shoot the fuck out of the ball when he gets going.

Monsanto may be disgruntled and showing it on social media, but he didn't miss all those shots, play shit defense, or play with no sense of urgency the last 3 games.
But that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I'm not going to fault guys like Hunter, Reid, Sallis, Cam and Carr who have busted their asses all year, and haven't been a distraction.

Monsanto 's career has been somewhat of a tragedy and it's always crushed me for the kid. I don't have a personal problem with him, or that would be really strange.

That said, objectively looking at it, he checked out on his teammates, Forbes is pissed at him for a reason. HE DIDN'T PRACTICE, and Forbes made it clear that was a Monsanto decision.

I'll die on this Hill.

All these can be true:

Damari has been dealt a shit hand in his basketball career.
Damari has been an exciting player when healthy.
Damari is most likely a good dude, and he's traditionally been a good teammate.
Damari took to social media during the most important week of our basketball season and showed he was unhappy.
Damari stopped encouraging/supporting his teammates during a time they needed him and we needed food team chemistry.
Damari's body language bas been awful since Duke game.

All that to say, I'm not here to pile on a college thread but this thread was created by a poster for us to discuss facts and speculation about the entire Damari situation.

Forbes isn't going to quit on the kid because he got cold from three.

My initial uninformed guess is that he probably feels like he sacrificed a ton to get back on the court this season, only to see his playing time drop to near zero and also give up a year of eligibility (not sure if he could have redshirted this season though). Hard to imagine someone not being resentful in that scenario.
I can see this but how much of this could be on Monsanto? If he had a setback I'd be willing to bet he was pushing himself and acting recklessly against coaches wishes. That said, I can only imagine the frustration he's been through.

I can see this but how much of this could be on Monsanto? If he had a setback I'd be willing to bet he was pushing himself and acting recklessly against coaches wishes. That said, I can only imagine the frustration he's been through.
(no actual reporting has been done of course) but I remember Monsanto went home, posted on his story he was with Alondes at the heat facility in Miami, then it was announced he had a major set back. He was likely playing pick up and hurt himself again

I don't think Monsanto has anything to do with losing post-Duke.

Why would anyone on the team let his attitude affect their play? They all have a lot to play for both in team success and for their individual post-college careers.

These guys aren't 18, most of them are in their early 20s. If they let one teammate's mood throw them off their game, than we deserve to stay home.

I don't think Forbes is going to tell us anything more then what he has "Monsanto says his knee hurts." Whatever the reason is, it's a sad situation and likely ending to Monsanto's time at Wake. After his first game back against Louisville, I thought he would be a difference maker for us for the rest of the season.

Why would anyone on the team let his attitude affect their play? They all have a lot to play for both in team success and for their individual post-college careers.

These guys aren't 18, most of them are in their early 20s. If they let one teammate's mood throw them off their game, than we deserve to stay home.
I never played sports after football senior year in high school. That said, If a key guy and a friend to all the players on the team is going rogue, lack of better words, It is going to disrupt team chemistry. I'm not saying Monsanto It's directly responsible for any of our three losses, but team chemistry with a bunch of 20-year-olds is a lot more important than you were painting it.

They’re not professionals. They’re college kids who are likely close friends. It does affect them.

I never played sports after football senior year in high school. That said, If a key guy and a friend to all the players on the team is going rogue, lack of better words, It is going to disrupt team chemistry. I'm not saying Monsanto It's directly responsible for any of our three losses, but team chemistry with a bunch of 20-year-olds is a lot more important than you were painting it.
There is zero evidence there is any issue between teammates. He annoyed Forbes, clearly. But he has done that before.

There is zero evidence there is any issue between teammates. He annoyed Forbes, clearly. But he has done that before.
There is plenty of evidence that there is strife between Damari and his teammates. Isn't just going to do a 180 with his body language and lack of support like he has the last few games if he was in great standings with his teammates. His situation with Forbes is one thing, but I doubt he'd Let that trickle into his relationship with his teammates.

Either way, The dude did create a distraction in some aspect at the worst possible time... I don't know how anyone could disagree with that... And I'm going to leave it at that.

There is plenty of evidence that there is strife between Damari and his teammates. Isn't just going to do a 180 with his body language and lack of support like he has the last few games if he was in great standings with his teammates. His situation with Forbes is one thing, but I doubt he'd Let that trickle into his relationship with his teammates.
He could just be upset that his leg is bum and his playing career may be over. We have no evidence that he is angry at his teammates or clashing with them.

I understand how team dynamics can get thrown off. I don't think we know anything about that here. We know Forbes isn't happy... Forbes wasn't happy with him last season at times, either. If he was such a distraction, why even keep him on the team since he can't contribute valuable minutes right now anyways?

We have been crap on the road all season, and not responded well to getting punched in the mouth. We let ND and GT take it to us. And to be fair, both Shrewsberry and Stoudamire have gotten their teams to play up to competition at times.

Back