• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Damari Monsanto

Man, the pain that the Mitch Griffis eval, or more accurately mis-eval, has caused wounds that may never heal and has crossed over the coverage of the basketball team. Guess people are going to hold on to that one for a long time.

Please watch the post-game press conferences. Forbes was specifically asked about Damari after VT (the first game Damari didn't play at all) and Forbes answered the question in detail. Forbes can't get into the details of Monsanto's injuries because of HIPAA.
I'm not sure i buy this. So are you saying that Cam has signed something that allows Forbes to tell everyonw he has a broken wrist? Or that Damari gave specific approval to allow the team to say he tore his patellar tendon? I find that iffy... Pretty sure that HIPAA only restricts medical professionals and caregivers from leaking or releasing information. HIPAA only governs those entities or caregivers who transmit medical information electronically. As part of almost all physical forms you sign consent to allow the medical professional to share that information as part of your care, including in this case to the coaching staff. Once the coaching staff has it HIPAA doesn't apply. There is no HIPAA violation if a coach provides an injury report in some detail.

Even if HIPAA were the issue...there are follow up questions to be asked. Is his injury related to or a re-injury of his prior injury? You said Damari told you he was hurt...is he cleared medically by the training staff or is this strictly a pain tolerance situation?

Last edited:
Man, the pain that the Mitch Griffis eval, or more accurately mis-eval, has caused wounds that may never heal and has crossed over the coverage of the basketball team. Guess people are going to hold on to that one for a long time.

I don't think it was the mis-evaluation to be honest. Everyone, including Clawson, missed on the kid. That's fine. They're human. But admit it was a mistake, do better and move on. Where things went south is over and over and over and over they were telling us just how misguided or off-base we were to be stating what the entire world could see. THAT is where I lost the respect for any serious reporting. Report the facts. The facts were the kid had no business starting for an ACC football team.

I'm not sure i buy this. So are you saying that Cam has signed something that allows Forbes to tell everyonw he has a broken wrist? Or that Damari gave specific approval to allow the team to say he tore his patellar tendon? I find that iffy... Pretty sure that HIPAA only restricts medical professionals and caregivers from leaking or releasing information. HIPAA only governs those entities or caregivers who transmit medical information electronically. As part of almost all physical forms you sign consent to allow the medical professional to share that information as part of your care, including in this case to the coaching staff. Once the coaching staff has it HIPAA doesn't apply. There is no HIPAA violation if a coach provides an injury report in some detail.

Even if HIPAA were the issue...there are follow up questions to be asked. Is his injury related to or a re-injury of his prior injury? You said Damari told you he was hurt...is he cleared medically by the training staff or is this strictly a pain tolerance situation?
I think it's actually FERPA governing what Forbes can disclose and not HIPAA

that would make a bit more sense...but still doesn't explain how we all knew he tore his patellar tendon....or any other injury a coach reveals about a player in any collegiate sport.

Didn't Forbes say that Monsanto told him his knee was hurting? What am I missing here?
yes, that was what made it weird. forbes said something along the lines of "he said he was hurt and couldn't practice so he didn't practice. and you don't play if you don't practice."

then there was no follow-up on the injury or even a question of "did monsanto practice?"

Forbes said Monsanto did not practice because of medical issues. He also said that a player that does not practice is not going to play.

Not sure what additional answer you are looking for from Forbes. He's not going to throw Monsanto under the bus if this is attitude related (and not saying it is; I have no idea), and he's not going to discuss specifics on his injury. Forbes would never say "Damari claims to be injured even though our medical people cleared him."

To me, the point remains that we haven't recovered as a team since Monsanto went out (since last season). I feel for the kid as he is as electrifying as they get when 100% healthy. Obviously, when an athlete is "rushing" to back into shape they can overcompensate and do more damage elsewhere. Plus, I know that my mental state is directly tied into my physical state. When I'm rehabbing, sick, or just sore I'm a bigger ass than usual.

Damari is just a young guy that knows he can play at an elite level and everyone, Coach, teammates, and board fans know how much he means to the team's success. That's a lot of pressure for anyone to handle. My hope is he can get back to that level next year whether at Wake or anywhere else.

As someone who does FERPA all day everyday, sort of if he was in possession of student records with medical information in his role as a school official, but a waiver from Damari would make it possible for him to discuss. Forbes answer about his knee hurting and the manner in which he answered it opened the door for me re: speculation.

I was just thinking...what if Monsanto injured his knee during the court rush.

I'm no Kreskin (though I was hypnotized by him while at Wake), but it's pretty clear to me there is some beef between Forbes and Monsanto. Maybe it's a little, motivational thing, maybe it's a big, I'm over it thing. Who knows?

But I easily interpreted Forbes' comment as something less than full belief and acceptance of the injury statement.

Either way, WFU hoops has bigger problems than some spat between Forbes and Monsanto. Like making sure everyone and his dog doesn't head for the portal the day after this miserable season ends. If we don't have several unexpected departures, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm no Kreskin (though I was hypnotized by him while at Wake), but it's pretty clear to me there is some beef between Forbes and Monsanto. Maybe it's a little, motivational thing, maybe it's a big, I'm over it thing. Who knows?

But I easily interpreted Forbes' comment as something less than full belief and acceptance of the injury statement.

Either way, WFU hoops has bigger problems than some spat between Forbes and Monsanto. Like making sure everyone and his dog doesn't head for the portal the day after this miserable season ends. If we don't have several unexpected departures, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Uplifting post. Excuse me while I jump off a bridge.

Shit, now I’m worried about my dog heading for the portal

After seeing players flee the sinking ship in previous eras, I don’t really get that impression from this group. But it’s open season with no transfer rules so who knows how it’s going to go down. Ideally portal chaos would play to our coach’s strengths, but all I could think about for most of the year is how much better this team would be with some continuity and more time playing together (with some added depth)

Back