• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins: How Many More No-Shows to Go?

Dan: No, I am asking you Devin. You played 38 minutes against the worst rebounding team in the ACC. You are 6'10" and you got as many rebounds tonight as you got fouls--3. What do you have to say about your effort on the boards?

Devin: I'm working harder than anyone could ever imagine. I've tried everything. It's just not coming through. I'm not going to make excuses... Saturdays are my toughest day academically.

and Dan, who in everyone's book is one of the nicest dudes around unless he has PM'ed you directly, subtly shreds Bzz with this:

"The more I watch Wake, the more miscast [Redacted] appears as coach at this particular time in Wake history. I'm not sure he would ever be the right guy, at any time."

Kudos.

I certainly don't think Devin brought his A game today. Seems like BC, the poorest rebounding team in the ACC ate Devin's and other interior players lunch. One of the greatest rebounders I have ever seen was undersized, Charles Barkley. Rebounding is a matter of will and we lack will.

What was it skip used to say about rebounding and the ball coming of the rim?

I'd like to as well, but it seems like they didn't come here despite Jeff [Redacted]. They came because of Jeff [Redacted].

Even if they wanted to come to Wake Forest and play in the ACC but hated Jeff [Redacted], the fact that they still came to Wake with him as Head Coach cast serious doubt on their judgement.

So much this.

Fuck every single player on the team today. They are dumb as bricks for committing to Wake Forest under Jeff [Redacted]. They only did do because Wake was their best offer, and it should have never been extended.

We need some transfers to go along with a new coach. I won't feel sorry for any of these jabronis. Get out. Let us rebuild with ACC caliber players.

This. Calling out his teammates and defending Buzz made me LOL. What an assclown. If he was throwing up 20 and 10 every night I might buy into his tough guy, "I'm the leader" baby back bullshit talk. There's nothing close to greatness on this team, haven't seen it all year (or for the last four years for that matter). And the reason? Well there are a lot of reasons, but the biggest is Buzz has to be the worst recruiter I've ever seen. Crappy recruits leads to crappy ACC ball players leads to getting your head kicked in consistently. So yes Devin, it is Buzz's fault because he recruited this entire crappy team.

Freshman Devin Thomas against top-100 RPI teams:
9.9 ppg (51% FG and 54% FT), 7.5 rpg, 1.4 apg/2.1 TO, 1.0 spg, 1.2 bpg, and 2.8 PF in 27.2 mpg.

Sophomore Devin Thomas against top-100 RPI teams:
9.9 ppg (49.2% FG and 45.2% FT), 6.5 rpg, 1.4 apg/2.8 TO, 0.5 spg, 0.7 bpg, and 3.5 PF in 27.5 mpg.

#oops

Freshman Devin Thomas against top-100 RPI teams:
9.9 ppg (51% FG and 54% FT), 7.5 rpg, 1.4 apg/2.1 TO, 1.0 spg, 1.2 bpg, and 2.8 PF in 27.2 mpg.

Sophomore Devin Thomas against top-100 RPI teams:
9.9 ppg (49.2% FG and 45.2% FT), 6.5 rpg, 1.4 apg/2.8 TO, 0.5 spg, 0.7 bpg, and 3.5 PF in 27.5 mpg.

#oops

lol whatever "foundation" we have is riddled with termites.

The more I watch Wake, the more miscast [Redacted] appears as coach at this particular time in Wake history. I'm not sure he would ever be the right guy, at any time. But if the Deacons were a more experienced, more mature team, then maybe, just maybe, they might resemble the strong-willed veteran teams that [Redacted] coached at Air Force in 2005-06 and 2006-07.
Deacon fans remember all too well the 2006-07 squad that ran Skip Prosser's last Wake team off the floor in Colorado Springs 94-58.
But what is becoming increasingly evident with every passsing debacle that [Redacted] is not the man to lift a young, developing team out of the doldrums into the first division of the ACC. To do so takes a wherewithal, a force of personality I haven't seen in his almost four seasons as the Deacons head coach.
So as much as I like Devin Thomas, and admire his willingness to speak his mind, I don't agree with him in this instance. Coaches can get a team from the practice court to the game ready to play. I know they can because I've seen coaches do it. Sure it's on the players, but it's also the coach's responsibility to the their mindset right.
And on that score, [Redacted] once again failed today and the Deacons tumbled to 15-14 overall and 5-11 in ACC play.

Almost perfectly stated.

Cav may try hard but he is a mistake waiting to happen. Every time you look up on a key bad foul or turnover, it is Cav who happens to be there. CMM is shooting under 10% from 3 point range and nobody is rebounding the basketball against the worst rebounding team in the ACC. It is hard to see #1 or #2 on this list quite frankly.

The question wasn't who I think plays the hardest or who actually plays the hardest it's "who is Devin Thomas referring to when he says 3-4 guys play hard every night" If he and Coron are 1-2 then I still have to guess which 1-2 others he is referring to...

and Dan, who in everyone's book is one of the nicest dudes around unless he has PM'ed you directly, subtly shreds Bzz with this:

"The more I watch Wake, the more miscast [Redacted] appears as coach at this particular time in Wake history. I'm not sure he would ever be the right guy, at any time."

Kudos.

That was epic.

I'm not going to get down on any of the players or want certain ones to transfer. Buzzdick is the coach, and as such, he sets the tone. Both he and Premier Wellman have set a tone of blaming current players, former players, former coaches and fans. Why should we expect any different from these young players?

I see 2 legit sophs - CMM and Devin. Have they underachieved? Quite possibly, but a good coaching hire will be able to get them turned in the right direction. And the other sophs each have certain skills to be role players. Washington has length, and he's played some decent D and rebounded some. Moto can drive and do a little of everything in a better defensive system. Rountree is athletic but still very raw. He'd fit in a Shaka havoc kind of D. Cav is weak but can shoot some and can give serviceable minutes. Jones just can't shoot, but he could give you 5-10 minutes per game as a back-up PG. Not sure that Overton will be much of anything at this point. While a transfer or 2 might help even out our classes, I'm not looking for anyone in particular to leave.

What I propose for this message board is this. After Buzzdick is fired, and a new coach is hired, some guys may decide that the new coach's system isn't great for their games and may decide to transfer. Some guys some of us may want to go may want to stay. These guys have been through 2 awful Buzzdick years. So let's just write that off and let them start with a clean slate. I propose we be civil and supportive of the players in this process. Whoever wants to leave, let's sincerely wish him/them the best (like we did with Chennault), and let's support whoever stays. This may not be the most talented group as a whole, but most of them have something to offer. And if the new coach hits the ground running, better talent will be brought in.

Let's just hope that Premier Wellman and company don't botch the hire.

Well this is pretty much a full meltdown for the team. 3-4 players are playing and blaming those that are not, short of players quitting right now not sure how much worse it can get.

Agreed. When I saw Coron Williams quote posted lasted night I thought the same thing.

Wellman is absolutely responsible for the terrible state of the program. The lack of accountability is astounding. The culture Wellman has created is one of blame, lies, cronyism and losing. Truly sickening. Hatch and the BOT are now complicit as well. They should have stepped in a long time ago. Instead they blindly accepted Wellman's narrative and ignored the hypocrisy of his words and actions.

Meyer is long gone. Now they need to Retire Wellman.

Back