• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins: How Many More No-Shows to Go?

Uh when a team scores on 25 of 30 possessions in a half there really aren't any rebounds to get.

Devin also needs to understand that the recruiting is killing us. If you recruit the right players, you don't have to make these excuses for coach.

That's the legacy. Just a horrendous recruiter.

These players suck. They just aren't very good.

I hope they all transfer

Dan: No, I am asking you Devin. You played 38 minutes against the worst rebounding team in the ACC. You are 6'10" and you got as many rebounds tonight as you got fouls--3. What do you have to say about your effort on the boards?

Instead:

Are those donuts?.....

I like Devin...I don't like him airing the team dirty laundry in public, but what you are seeing and hearing is a product of having coach who is failing at every aspect of his job. Frustrated people vent their frustration (for example, this board) in ways that usually create more problems for them.

Devin Thomas could be very good for us if he had the right coach. He has talent and he definitely has a passion for basketball- he just needs someone to show him how to step up and be a man in a man's league. Bz is not the coach to do that and has done a terrible job with him so far.

There are just so many reasons for Bz to be fired...his losing record over the last 4 years is a big one, but I could deal with that if there was some indication that he was developing a team/player/system for the future. He clearly is not....which means we are no better shape today than we were the day after Dino was fired.

ETA: i don't think venting frustration on this board creates more problems for posters...it probably keeps some of us out of jail.

We've been hearing this type of "players just aren't trying" garbage since Stetson. We can jump on the players for not playing to potential, showing poor effort, or sniping at each other, but the fact remains that all of these have been hallmarks of [Redacted]'s tenure. Being able to lead and to inspire young men is how a coach avoids and overcomes this. Odom was a bit weak on this point. I think of how some of Odom's players transformed under Prosser. [Redacted] just doesn't have that gift. That's why his teams crack under the pressure of road games and late season stretches. It is the biggest reason for his failure.

Mentioning Dino just reminded me that we fired him after losing in the 2ND ROUND OF THE NCAA TOURNAMENT resulting in FOUR YEARS of playing to be .500 OVERALL a good season. Get fucked Wellman. The seniors graduating in May will have never seen anything but a crap BB team and a 1/4 arena. Good luck getting them to donate to the Deacon Club. They honestly will go their entire undergraduate experience without enjoying or looking forward to a BB game.

Now I'm fucking angry thinking about it.

Oh, by the way no one has answered Dan's question. I will: two.

We've been hearing this type of "players just aren't trying" garbage since Stetson. We can jump on the players for not playing to potential, showing poor effort, or sniping at each other, but the fact remains that all of these have been hallmarks of [Redacted]'s tenure. Being able to lead and to inspire young men is how a coach avoids and overcomes this. Odom was a bit weak on this point. I think of how some of Odom's players transformed under Prosser. [Redacted] just doesn't have that gift. That's why his teams crack under the pressure of road games and late season stretches. It is the biggest reason for his failure.

I was thinking the same thing when some folks here lately surmised Prosser as benefiting from the tough defensive mindedness of the players he got from Odom. I'm an Odom fan, but that is not quite my recollection. I seem to recall that Prosser is the one who turned Josh Howard & Company into the rebounding/defensive team, rather than the underachievers they had been the previous season or two.

I recall that Josh Howard was an excellent defender and brought that to the Prosser regime and then to the Mavs. Both suffered defensively after Howard led.

I guess that facade some posters put up about being #playersin but bz out has just completely crumbled at this point.

I like how Devin defends [Redacted], then notes that we couldn't keep lowly Boston College out of the lane where they scored at least a point on 23 attempts inside the arc - in just the 2nd half.

22 of their last 24 points were free throws. We have one guard on the team who really struggles to stay in front of his man - Overton. He got 7 minutes. We have another guy who is our only shot blocker at 7 feet tall and could have actually altered shots without fouling their guards inside, but Andre got his first DNP in the last 10 games. The last time we played a shitty ACC team in VA Tech, Andre played 15 minutes and had 3 blocks and forced another 3-4 misses inside. Instead he played Devin for 38 minutes, basically giving him no rest at all against a BC team that was running out hockey-style lines at us.

Only 30% coaching? Pretty damn generous. It's going to be funny to hear Devin's take once he (hopefully) gets to play for a coach that can motivate players, prepare for games, and react to adversity during a game.

Good post. Weird to blame certain players to defend the coach who decides which certain players play.

I recall that Josh Howard was an excellent defender and brought that to the Prosser regime and then to the Mavs. Both suffered defensively after Howard led.

Josh was a lock down defender. He was the type of player that allows the rest of the team to cheat and covers up your mistakes.

From a draft preview.

Draws the toughest perimeter matchup on the floor and brings a very solid effort to the defensive end. Defends taller small forwards better than he defends shorter and more explosive shooting guards. Has good lateral quickness, but gets stuck covering some elite athletes that he can’t always keep out of the lane. Shows good footwork defending the perimeter, and considering his offensive abilities, it is hard to say anything negative about his defense. Very active player who doesn’t take possessions off. Capable of darting into passing lanes for steals and surprising people with his length for blocks. Is more of a position defender than a risk taker. Great rebounder for his position.

Back