• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins silence is deafening

31i9asxfRvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I always wondered why they thought they could market it as Amish when it runs off electricity.

fun fact: amish people use electric shit/phones/hospitals all the time, just can't own it.

Shouldn't it be:

Collins'

or

Collins's ?

I don't think "Collinses" is correct. GrammarNaziDeac parody fail?

Good catch here by Say Hey Deac. If multiple Collins peeps involved and showing possession go with "Collinses'." If one Collins involved and showing possesion, two options:
1) Collins'
2) Collins's

I am ashamed at my mistake and shall retire to the Eagle's Nest to plan my next move.

It's already been said, but this is a news story, not sports.

As a sportswriter myself, I can tell you when situations like this occur (athletes in the news), you sit back and thank your lucky stars when it gets big enough that it becomes some news writer's problem. In all seriousness, though, Dan's specialty is analyzing 2-3 zones and triple-option offenses, not legal issues. That's for news writers.

Welcome to the peanut gallery.

Maybe it's just me, but my impression, rightly or wrongly, was that My Take on Wake was originally set up for Dan to be able to give more opinions/color instead of his role as beat writer.

Um, my TAKE on wake

He should give some opinion on the matter, ala the few national blogs that have been linked today.

Maybe it's just me, but my impression, rightly or wrongly, was that My Take on Wake was originally set up for Dan to be able to give more opinions/color instead of his role as beat writer.

Um, my TAKE on wake

He should give some opinion on the matter, ala the few national blogs that have been linked today.

Come on, you really can't expect someone to willingly jump into this legal issue. Expressing his opinion in his blog puts him at risk of being dragged into a lawsuit himself. There's a reason why you see the words "allegedly" and "according to" all over news stories like this. You need to cover your ass as a writer. No way you want to put your own voice in there.

Um, my TAKE on wake

Why SHOULD he? He doesn't owe you shit. He's doing his job just fine and putting an opinion about this case out into the world would only impede him from doing his job.

Come on, you really can't expect someone to willingly jump into this legal issue. Expressing his opinion in his blog puts him at risk of being dragged into a lawsuit himself. There's a reason why you see the words "allegedly" and "according to" all over news stories like this. You need to cover your ass as a writer. No way you want to put your own voice in there.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/29419851

What's wrong with something like this, as an example? Is CBS worried about getting drawn into a lawsuit?

He doesn't represent Wake Forest. Now maybe the Journal advised him to not express any opinion, and that's fine. Or maybe he truly doesn't want to, and that's his prerogative.

We all know that in 2011 the line between news and opinion in blurred with the interwebz. And that's accepted. That's where there are writer blog links on the front page of newspaper websites.

What's wrong with something like this, as an example? Is CBS worried about getting drawn into a lawsuit?

He doesn't represent Wake Forest. Now maybe the Journal advised him to not express any opinion, and that's fine. Or maybe he truly doesn't want to, and that's his prerogative.

We all know that in 2011 the line between news and opinion in blurred with the interwebz. And that's accepted. That's where there are writer blog links on the front page of newspaper websites.

He also has relationships to maintain so it's better for him to keep his distance with issues like this... although LD and Ari didn't appear to care for him at all judging by their tweets. Not sure about other players/insiders though.

Fair point. I don't know. All I can say is if it were me, I'd steer clear of this. The risk far outweighs the reward.

Why SHOULD he? He doesn't owe you shit. He's doing his job just fine and putting an opinion about this case out into the world would only impede him from doing his job.

He should because it's a huge story in the Wake Forest sports community right now, and he's the primary media voice of Wake Forest sports...in the media age of 2011. If he wants to be a beat writer only, great, and he does an excellent job at that, IMHO. But then why have a blog called MTOW and not have a take on a huge story?

That's all.

I really enjoy the My Take On Wake blog. I'm guessing it took some effort to be approved. There's no reason for Dan to comment on this minus some insider info which I doubt he has, and it would suck to get the blog pulled over it.

Good catch here by Say Hey Deac. If multiple Collins peeps involved and showing possession go with "Collinses'." If one Collins involved and showing possesion, two options:
1) Collins'
2) Collins's

I am ashamed at my mistake and shall retire to the Eagle's Nest to plan my next move.

Agreed. It should be written a punctuated the way you would say it. Same with the plural.

Maybe he doesn't know what happened unless he was invited to the party.

I do understand why he hasn't had a real blog about the Today fiasco, but I do not understand why he hasn't had one about the Pope/Corbean switch.

Not really for Dan to comment on yet unless it is going to affect our basketball team down the road. Right now this is news and not sports.

Sensible post by Dan. His livelihood is in large part based on credibility, my e-life is not, hence I can speculate and ponder on this board with little worry. At some point it'll be appropriate for him to weigh in, but it's a bit early IMO.

There is no upside for Dan to make any statement about the Today Show issue. He can only lose.

If he comes out on the side of the players, women say he doesn't care about them.

If he says something about players taking responsibility, he loses access and trust.

People saying he should do something have no idea what his job is.

Back