• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Daniels not running

Hispanics are about 65-70% Dem and growing due to things like what happened in CA (years ago), AZ, GA and other places.

Seniors give a shit about Medicare and don't believe that they won't lose some.

Medicare is the #1 loved government program ever. If you think boomers expect to get what we've paid into for 30-40 years, you're the delusional one.

If Ryan is anywhere near the ticket, Obama will get 350-400 EVs.

Medicare has always been pay-as-you-go...neither you or nor I have ever paid into anything.

As for Hillary...and this sounds bad...I just don't see the nation electing a 70 year old woman. Plus her negatives are down because she's not in the spotlight...put her out front and you'll see the negatives go back through the roof.

Plus I once heard one of the talking heads on CNN say that once the county elects a prez from one generation they rarely go back to a past generation to elect subsequent presidents. Dole and McCain being good examples. The next prez will be from Obama's generation or younger.

If I were the GOP I'd step back from Medicare and do nothing...propose nothing. Let the Dems fix it, and let them take the heat for reforming a program that has to be changed in a major way if it's going to endure.

If there was ever a chance of two Democrats winning back-to-back it's Obama to Hillary.

Obama was probably elected too early. By all rights, Hillary should have won the nomination. I still don't really understand how that happened. But it makes for a pretty good transition from a "hope and change" next generation type to a more comfortable, highly experienced, sure-thing President. Plus the whole first woman president thing doesn't matter much anymore because electing a black person was about 500 times less likely. So it won't really be an issue, just another positive.

And women handle age way better than men by 70, so she'll probably be fine age-wise.

She'll probably be seen a lot like Bill - a Republican-friendly Democrat who won't start a bunch of wars while the country goes through a few years of post-recession boom, but still pays down the deficit. I think she loses to a great Republican candidate... But not sure there will be one there for her to lose to.

RJ, you're delusional man. Blacks will vote for Obama, but that's nothing new (Herman Cain on the ticket could make it more interesting though). Hispanics aren't a monolithic bloc and never have been. Seniors don't give a shit about Ryan, especially boomers, who now make up a big share of seniors and are more realistic about changes needing to be made.

If Obama is unbeatable, it's because the candidates suck. He is extremely beatable because the Reagan Democrats who went back to vote for Clinton have in large part abandoned him.

Herman Cain won't draw black votes simply because he's black. That's kind of insulting. If that were true, the Pubs would've been adding black candidates to their tickets for decades for demographic purposes. Black voters favor the Dems because the Dems speak to their issues, and the Pubs do not, including Cain, which is why Cain has no appeal for the Pub ticket.

Obama is not "extremely beatable" -- he's a prohibitive favorite -- but he's not unbeatable either.

As Chris Rock said, "It ain't like we're voting for Flava Flav."

Herman Cain won't draw black votes simply because he's black. That's kind of insulting. If that were true, the Pubs would've been adding black candidates to their tickets for decades for demographic purposes.

The problem has been finding one. ;)

If there was ever a chance of two Democrats winning back-to-back it's Obama to Hillary.

Obama was probably elected too early. By all rights, Hillary should have won the nomination. I still don't really understand how that happened. But it makes for a pretty good transition from a "hope and change" next generation type to a more comfortable, highly experienced, sure-thing President. Plus the whole first woman president thing doesn't matter much anymore because electing a black person was about 500 times less likely. So it won't really be an issue, just another positive.

And women handle age way better than men by 70, so she'll probably be fine age-wise.

She'll probably be seen a lot like Bill - a Republican-friendly Democrat who won't start a bunch of wars while the country goes through a few years of post-recession boom, but still pays down the deficit. I think she loses to a great Republican candidate... But not sure there will be one there for her to lose to.

I was with you until this. WHAT?

Women age (physically and mentally) far worse than men. Older women are pretty much all bat shit crazy. They get all opinionated and argumentative, while their husbands usually sit there quietly and wonder what happened to their loving bride and hoping that God will take them away from this monster.

They live longer than men.....well because they kill us off......

Herman Cain won't draw black votes simply because he's black. That's kind of insulting. If that were true, the Pubs would've been adding black candidates to their tickets for decades for demographic purposes. Black voters favor the Dems because the Dems speak to their issues, and the Pubs do not, including Cain, which is why Cain has no appeal for the Pub ticket.

Obama is not "extremely beatable" -- he's a prohibitive favorite -- but he's not unbeatable either.

I think the Democratic Party is insulting to black voters.

They've supported them for how long now? How is it working out for Black America so far?

I think the Democratic Party is insulting to black voters.

They've supported them for how long now? How is it working out for Black America so far?

Better than it was 50 years ago.

Go and other Republicans don't seem to understand why black people don't vote Republican. Republicans have strategically set themselves up against a large segment of black voters on pretty much every key issue over the last 50 years.

In fact, I'll go as far to say that Republicans have conscientiously not courted black voters because it makes more sense to make it more difficult for blacks to vote than to try to sway black voters.

I'm not saying it's going to flip the voting bloc, but a self-made black businessman preaching conservative values will resonate with more black voters than you think. To say that putting Cain on the ticket might make it go from a 90/10 split to an 80/20 split is not unreasonable. Pubs don't get the black vote because they don't preach to it. They don't go into black neighborhoods canvassing for votes. They don't cater to them period, precisely because they can afford to write them off. The demographic purposes you speak of simply don't exist. And of course that may be one of the reasons in the end that Cain isn't the guy for the VP slot.

Agree that Obama is the favorite at the moment. Arguing over degrees of beatability is merely semantics. He is beatable. Let's just put it that way.

Some conservative values work fine for black voters. Others don't. If Cain's message appeals to black voters, he'll piss off far more white voters. Hell, if Obama can't overtly court black voters without risking political damage, Cain surely can't.

Better than it was 50 years ago.

When Democrats voted against the Civil Rights Act?

The whole Nixon strategy is overblown, its just another part of the hoodwink.

Conservative principles are attractive to many people of all races, the problem the GOP has is that they often don't stick to that, therefore they cause all kinds of people to not trust them.

When those Democrats who voted against the Civil Rights Act became Republicans.

Agree on the last point to some extent.

When those Democrats who voted against the Civil Rights Act became Republicans.

Agree on the last point to some extent.

Yah, I was just being a smartass to BBD.

Plenty of people are conservative, unfortunately there's no real conservative party out there.

Obama isn't "unbeatable", just not nearly as beatable as unnamed 2016 Democratic nominee.

Right but 2012 is here and now...2016...anything could be happening by then. Obama might have Reagan-style coattails by then, who knows.

Hispanics are about 65-70% Dem and growing due to things like what happened in CA (years ago), AZ, GA and other places.

Name a state that changed columns in a presidential election because of the Hispanic vote.

"WCVI Latino voter polls show Senator Obama was supported by a 68.6% to 28.7%. This finding was echoed by the CNN National exit poll which found a 67% to 31% spread between Obama and McCain."

Last election was a blowout. In a close election any such large voting disparity will be heightened.

"WCVI Latino voter polls show Senator Obama was supported by a 68.6% to 28.7%. This finding was echoed by the CNN National exit poll which found a 67% to 31% spread between Obama and McCain."

Last election was a blowout. In a close election any such large voting disparity will be heightened.

And that's McCain. Bush was able to pull 50% of hispanics before, so it's not like things aren't fluid. Get Rubio on the ticket and you won't see 69% of hispanics going Dem.

Bush did not get 50% nationally.

You're right, it'll be over 70% after the laws in AZ and GA with others coming soon. The GOP stance is 180 degrees from W's on immigration.

Back