• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I see teams like Liberty and others as "system teams", they recruit players who can play their (the coach's) way with some respectable level of ability regardless of the rankings. It is much like the football programs of the service academies, develop a system that maximizes the talent you have and minimizes their lack of size/athleticism. Most teams in the ACC have the talent to play and beat these teams because of an overwhelming talent disparity, intelligent play, and good coaching, however if you play selfish, dumb, and with minimum effort you can and will lose to some of them. This is currently where our team is, vis-a-vis other ACC teams we do not have overwhelming talent this year, are not well coached at this point, and have not played with the effort required to win games. Recruiting will help some but it all comes back to having a coach who recognizes what his players can and can not do and developing a system around those abilities, not just playing your way because you want to even when your players can not accomplish it.

You guys, you guys!

I had the worst nightmare last night. I dreamed that we had a basketball game but Bzzzzdelick was our coach, only in the form of a large black man. The effort, the in-game decisions, the passion - it was all nonexistent. It was so scary, you guys...you guyyysssss

Clawson was given an extension after reaching a bowl game in season three. Was DM given an extension after our appearance in the tourney play-in round or is he still on his original five year deal?

Does it matter? Wellman is still stained in coaching fraternity from his treatment of Dino. We got who we got. He is/was the best available to us.

I see teams like Liberty and others as "system teams", they recruit players who can play their (the coach's) way with some respectable level of ability regardless of the rankings. It is much like the football programs of the service academies, develop a system that maximizes the talent you have and minimizes their lack of size/athleticism. Most teams in the ACC have the talent to play and beat these teams because of an overwhelming talent disparity, intelligent play, and good coaching, however if you play selfish, dumb, and with minimum effort you can and will lose to some of them. This is currently where our team is, vis-a-vis other ACC teams we do not have overwhelming talent this year, are not well coached at this point, and have not played with the effort required to win games. Recruiting will help some but it all comes back to having a coach who recognizes what his players can and can not do and developing a system around those abilities, not just playing your way because you want to even when your players can not accomplish it.

I feel like he is letting them play this way so certain guys, ahem Crawf and Key, can attempt to showcase their talents for the next level. They will get their points cuz they are good BB players when they are able to operate a system that puts them in position to score in ways that suit them. Danny must do a better job of creating motion in the offense without relying so heavily on the high PnR cuz our guards don't have outstanding blow-by speed and quickness. They need to play "savvier" and work more curls and cuts and flash to spots where they can use their ability to make intermediate range jumpers and floaters from the FT line in rather than try to take so many fruitless shots to the glass. I thought Danny was old school? Can he not impress upon these guys how you can out-think the other team with a sound combination of size, skill and team-oriented motion (aka down screens, high-low, inside out diagonal passing etc)??

I saw many more varied elements and nuances to our offense last year, and it wasn't just because of Collins. Although we are seeing just how effective Austin Arians was because he was constantly moving and making himself available for catch and shoot without having to touch the ball a lot. And Dinos, when he was playing well and focusing on the little things rather than jacking up ill-advised 3's, really helped with our spacing and of course interior rebounding.

You're telling me that Chaundee can't be Arians and Sarr and D-Mitch can't do some of the things Dinos did (maybe not the inside pounding and battling that Dinos did) and help minimize the amount of minutes we rely on 4 guards that dribble aimlessly and attempt to do things out of their comfort zone? And yes while these young players may need more time, there is no excuse for them to not know how to rebound positionally and box out when Danny was a master at doing more with less and using savvy and positioning to corral rebounds.

I'm confident Manning will have these guys playing good ball by the end of the season. The problem is that we have already burst our bubble just 2 games in. No matter the holes, and no matter how ugly it gets you have GOT to find a way to keep your head above water while your team comes into its own. We have not done that, and now we're already sunk.

Last edited:
Does it matter? Wellman is still stained in coaching fraternity from his treatment of Dino. We got who we got. He is/was the best available to us.

No, he's not. If he was, Dino would have gotten another job by now.

If Wellman is stained in the coaching community, it's about the insulting lowball offer he made to Brad Stevens and then hiring he who shall not be named.

No, he's not. If he was, Dino would have gotten another job by now.

If Wellman is stained in the coaching community, it's about the insulting lowball offer he made to Brad Stevens and then hiring he who shall not be named.

I wonder which way Wellman will go next if Danny doens't get it turned around. With Jeffry he went with (supposedly) a strong X and O coach (not) without a big name. We Danny he went with a big name with unproven potential.

Wait a sec, I was younger and didn’t follow recruiting/coaching/etc. as closely as I do now back then. We low balled Brad fucking Stevens? Someone fill me in on this.

The hype around Danny's 2018 recruiting class probably bought him more years than he might deserve.

Wait a sec, I was younger and didn’t follow recruiting/coaching/etc. as closely as I do now back then. We low balled Brad fucking Stevens? Someone fill me in on this.

We have no clue if we did or didn’t.

What we did do, however, was fire a 0.66 coach two weeks later than necessary, and 8 months after giving him an extension. And then we invented a narrative for why we did this when the handpicked replacement turned out to be a very predictable disaster.

Wellman knows very little about basketball or how to run a successful basketball program. He, remarkably, seems to know even less about PR.

Not sure how RW got turned down by Mike White. He is going to be good for a long time & seemed to have the right timing.

Not sure how RW got turned down by Mike White. He is going to be good for a long time & seemed to have the right timing.

Do you think he'd take a job to coach against his dad's team when he can get the same or bigger money with a P5 team? I don't.

I don't think he was the best available to us. I think Wellman is a bad judge of talent but thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. He has twice chosen someone that was on no ones radar. I seriously doubt he had exhausted his options when he decided on a coach with 2 years of experience. It was Wellman being Wellman.

yeah i never saw any evidence that we low-balled Stevens, just an assumption based on Wellman's apparent incompetence b/c who could possibly decline a chance to coach at THE Wake Forest University

WF's bball job was toxic. We made a better on-paper football hire than bball that year. Recall it was less to do with money and more to do with the fact we previously fired a coach that just won a NCAAT game and had just fired the worst HC ever. Program was in shambles and needed a complete rebuild and I presume there were a lot of concerns about job security.

WF's bball job was toxic. We made a better on-paper football hire than bball that year. Recall it was less to do with money and more to do with the fact we previously fired a coach that just won a NCAAT game and had just fired the worst HC ever. Program was in shambles and needed a complete rebuild and I presume there were a lot of concerns about job security.

Quit repeating this. There is no factual basis for it.

Do you think he'd take a job to coach against his dad's team when he can get the same or bigger money with a P5 team? I don't.

I’ve always considered Duke as Coach K’s team, not Kevin White’s. He had to wait another year & got lucky that Billy D opted for the NBA. He had never been to the tournament & was offered the head gig at an ACC school. I think the right AD seals that deal.

Back