• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Who cares about 1 year? The next rendition of the stadium is another 30-40 years. For the first time money is not a credible excuse. We must leave the next generation with the ideal environment to win. We can debate about what that is but we all finally agree it is not the Joel.

We have to have a place to play.

Who cares about 1 year? The next rendition of the stadium is another 30-40 years. For the first time money is not a credible excuse. We must leave the next generation with the ideal environment to win. We can debate about what that is but we all finally agree it is not the Joel.

Went to the Joel for the first time this season on Saturday and was quite impressed with what they have already done. If it can be modified to 10K-11K as rumored, I think it will be great. Simply I disagree with you and think starting over would be a huge waste of money. Furthermore, college basketball sucks now. In response to your comment earlier about wake choosing football and soccer over basketball, I for one am glad. Both are infinitely more enjoyable than college basketball, football is where the money is at, and soccer is a sport that a school like wake can dominate. I appreciate your passion for wake and your enthusiasm. However, I could do without the winning in life comments. Most successful people I know would never claim to be winning in life because they would not need to.

Go deacs!

Went to the Joel for the first time this season on Saturday and was quite impressed with what they have already done. If it can be modified to 10K-11K as rumored, I think it will be great. Simply I disagree with you and think starting over would be a huge waste of money. Furthermore, college basketball sucks now. In response to your comment earlier about wake choosing football and soccer over basketball, I for one am glad. Both are infinitely more enjoyable than college basketball, football is where the money is at, and soccer is a sport that a school like wake can dominate. I appreciate your passion for wake and your enthusiasm. However, I could do without the winning in life comments. Most successful people I know would never claim to be winning in life because they would not need to.

Go deacs!

College basketball is beyond watchable. It's simply God-awful. It's become an officiating clinic. Interest has to be waning. I can't understand how anyone can watch it for more than an hour.

Glad the Deacs have focused on football. It's far more entertaining.

Go deacs!

This post succinctly and fully summarizes Wake alums (and Wellmans) views on basketball. We don’t really want to win bad enough in basketball and life. Hush up, start enjoying soccer, and leave us alone. Beating Duke or UNC at home every once in awhile is good enough for us. Take your win or else attitude somewhere else.

Message heard loud and clear.

This post succinctly and fully summarizes Wake alums (and Wellmans) views on basketball. We don’t really want to win bad enough in basketball and life. Hush up, start enjoying soccer, and leave us alone. Beating Duke or UNC at home every once in awhile is good enough for us. Take your win or else attitude somewhere else.

Message heard loud and clear.

We all WANT to win, but your point remains valid that no one really does anything about it, aside from th group of 10 or so donors dropping millions of dollars.

When I was at Wake the Joel was full and rocking almost every game

Seems like giving up and a loser mentality to want a smaller arena now

I was there for Josh Howard's senior year and two years of CP3, the Joel never seemed too big

Anyone else from 2002-2005 feel free to chime in

Last edited:
I was there during the post Duncan and pre CP3 eras. The Joel was a great venue to play in and to attend a game. Some of my best memories are on the front rows of those games (and some of my worst...freakin Duhon).

I was there during the post Duncan and pre CP3 eras. The Joel was a great venue to play in and to attend a game. Some of my best memories are on the front rows of those games (and some of my worst...freakin Duhon).

You all have attended games in 8 arenas. Like a kid going to the Honda Classic and arguing with someone who has been to 6 Hondas & 80 other tour events. It’s not that your stupid. It’s just that you chose a family. You won’t see me in your face pretending I have a clue where your kids should go to kindergarten.

When I was at Wake the Joel was full and rocking almost every game

Seems like giving up and a loser mentality to want a smaller arena now

I wasn't there anywhere near your time, but I went to selected games from '93 till '05, when friends had season tickets. Granted most, but not all, of those games were Duke or Carolina, but the place was flat ass packed and rocking for the games I attended.

Dude I'm pretty sure wrangor coached college bball

1. I agree, been to a lot of venues and the Joel during the Howard/Paul/teague&johnson days it was packed and rocking.
2. Was Wrangor really a college ball coach? That explains a lot - I’ve always really enjoyed his insights.

You all have attended games in 8 arenas. Like a kid going to the Honda Classic and arguing with someone who has been to 6 Hondas & 80 other tour events. It’s not that your stupid. It’s just that you chose a family. You won’t see me in your face pretending I have a clue where your kids should go to kindergarten.

Second time you've done this. Inexcusable.

“Hey, I went to the Duke and Carolina games back in the day and you don’t double check your punctuation on a message board. Therefore it’s just fine for us to play where we do.”

I was there for Josh Howard's senior year and two years of CP3, the Joel never seemed too big

Anyone else from 2002-2005 feel free to chime in

1999-2003 - games like the 2OT Duke game were the exception, not the rule. Games against Clemson and Florida State meant a barely full lower bowl and an empty upper bowl. Games against UNC meant an obscene amount of sky blue.

Back