• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Captain hook? Hyperbole is uncharted ground for you rj!

You said we can't sit people because there was no one else to play. I said if you sit a guy for a minute or two you get everyone's attention and no one sits for long. You are making a big leap.

It is simple about liberty and the other losses. They should never have happened. Period. Full stop. Nanoo nanoo. After watching this team be in position to win at unc it's clear the early loses were on the coaches. For multiple games they forced ineffective (that's an understatement) line ups. The agonizingly slow course correction likely ended post season hopes for this team. The team that played yesterday is absolutely an ncaa bubble team (or better). The season is not lost if they keep improving and put a team together with experience to make a big leap next year but the "what if" will haunt us.

I don't endlessly criticize Crawford. He's had some issues this year but nothing he can't turn around. However, saying he's the reason for Moore's improved play this year is dismissive of the obvious hard work Doral has put in. His all around game is much better. The rebounds and blocks yesterday were his hard work. The very good position he got all game was his work. The 4?? Shots he took were nothing compared to the number of times he had his man completely pinned and could have gotten a gr3at shot attempt up but was ignored by all the guards.

Crawford may "get him he ball the most" but it's still woefully inadequate compared to the number of times Doral is ready and calling for the ball in scoring position.

Talk about hyperbole. Nothing I said was in any way dismissive of Doral's work. All I ASKED was how much of his improvement was Craw getting him the ball in the right places and at the right time. I didn't mention anything about defense or rebounding.

Is there any consideration in this discussion that UNC lost at home to Wofford? Or does that soften the bitching/griping for both sides of a hopeless argument?

Carry on.

I've got a very specific concern. And yes, unc might end up with a down year but they have talent.

BTW, how much of Doral's improvement is Craw being the one guy who gets him the ball the most?

Had you clarified the specific improvement you were asking about the above statement might give a Doral a little more credit but I'll concede I answered without knowing exactly what you are asking.

I specifically said, not much. And ill repeat that he may be the guy that gets him the ball in scoring position the most on the team but that's not saying much. Crawford could easily increase his assists by 40% if he just passed it inside a few more times per game.

Maybe Moore’s kick out to Crawford for three will encourage Crawford to pass to him more.

Attended fan fest, exhibition game and watched all our regular season games. Thought our defense and willingness to compete was better at Unc. We have to beat Syracuse or this season is looking like a lost cause.

Manning is falling further and further behind Clawson. Manning needs to get more out of his players.

We continue to lose close games under Manning. It’s a pattern. Surely someone has done the metrics over the past 3 plus years.

We continue to lose close games under Manning. It’s a pattern. Surely someone has done the metrics over the past 3 plus years.

Gotta have a closer on the court to win the close ones. Who would you pick as the closer on the current Wake team?

It’s manning job to recruit a closer. I like Manning, but he is getting to the point where doing things his way has to have some accountability.

We must be better at the end of games. Eventually that is on him. Good coaches find ways to win close games. I love where Manning has our program moving forward with regards to talent and development, but he must improve as a tactician. That was always the risk with Manning, it will be on him to continue to develop as a coach.

The record speaks for itself. Year 4, and losses to Liberty, Drake, Ga Southern. UNC Is mediocre this year,

No excuse for this team. Zero team chemistry, poor team defense.

It’s manning job to recruit a closer. I like Manning, but he is getting to the point where doing things his way has to have some accountability.

We must be better at the end of games. Eventually that is on him. Good coaches find ways to win close games. I love where Manning has our program moving forward with regards to talent and development, but he must improve as a tactician. That was always the risk with Manning, it will be on him to continue to develop as a coach.

Damage control. You were wrong.

Damage control. You were wrong.

Not at all. I can just have an honest opinion. I can recognize Manning isn’t where we need him to be on the court and at the same time recognize that he is exactly who we need on the recruiting trail and as the head of the program. If he can figure out the former we have ourself a coach for the next 10-15 years. If he can’t we have a great ‘hoard’ of young players in the system ready for the next coach.

Either way, hiring Manning improved our program. I am hopeful that he will be our decade long solution, but am also smart enough to realize that he isn’t perfect. It is possible to be a fan without being bandwagon boy, DR. It’s possible to root for a coach to succeed and also understand that there can be legitimate concerns.

If you would take a little more nuanced stance occasionally you might not be so readily despised. I can’t imagine this is how you act in person (who knows, maybe you do). But if this is some internet persona, I would just ask ‘why’? You are almost 40, doing the job you love, and clearly very successful. Why be a complete jack wagon on an alumni sports message board? The DR I knew 20 years ago was a good dude. My guess is you still are. Just not sure why you act out like you do on the ogboards.

Last edited:
How do you handle the super seat issue? Say thanks for your support since 1991 and give them first rights to seats behind the student section?

Absolutely right, dump em. Free for all based on current giving. With a small venue, will generate a feeding frenzy for the seats since there will be so few of them--huge pop in donations annually to maintain/obtain seats.

Not at all. I can just have an honest opinion. I can recognize Manning isn’t where we need him to be on the court and at the same time recognize that he is exactly who we need on the recruiting trail and as the head of the program. If he can figure out the former we have ourself a coach for the next 10-15 years. If he can’t we have a great ‘hoard’ of young players in the system ready for the next coach.

Either way, hiring Manning improved our program. I am hopeful that he will be our decade long solution, but am also smart enough to realize that he isn’t perfect. It is possible to be a fan without being bandwagon boy, DR. It’s possible to root for a coach to succeed and also understand that there can be legitimate concerns.

If you would take a little more nuanced stance occasionally you might not be so readily despised. I can’t imagine this is how you act in person (who knows, maybe you do). But if this is some internet persona, I would just ask ‘why’? You are almost 40, doing the job you love, and clearly very successful. Why be a complete jack wagon on an alumni sports message board? The DR I knew 20 years ago was a good dude. My guess is you still are. Just not sure why you act out like you do on the ogboards.

You don't think there are nuances to my positions? Of course there are, I'm just not taking the time to type them all out. I got lots of irons in the fire my man. Being honest and saying we are screwing up and let's fix it isn't being a "complete jack wagon"--it's the opposite.

I'm not advocating firing Manning at this moment--never have--contrary to what I've read here. I'm just saying it's been obvious from day 1 he isn't the brightest bulb in the box and it will not work. After next season when we miss the field of 64 again--he's got to go. Not because he hasn't improved the program--of course he has from Bz--but because it is obvious he is not a game tactician--which you must have at Wake Forest.

This right here...

Manning is not very open to suggestions or criticism. I get the feeling that he thinks he is smarter than everyone and no one can make a suggestion that is worth anything. Works well if you are winning, not so much when your teams continue to make the same mistakes over and over. He needs someone to teach his kids defense and how to play with more intensity. IMO Just don't see Manning making any changes because he thinks everything is fine

While I support Manning and will be patient with him, WF didn't score in the last 5:28 against TN, and in the last 2:26 against UNC. That can't happen.

While I am generally OK with letting talented players find the holes in the defense rather than running set plays (that opposing defense is often ready for), when the team is settling for contested 3 point shots late in the shot clock, the coach has to make an adjustment to pressure the defense with higher percentage shots (and increase the likelihood of FTs). Crawford can get to the rim essentially at will. That has to be part of WF's late game strategy.

Manning is not very open to suggestions or criticism. I get the feeling that he thinks he is smarter than everyone and no one can make a suggestion that is worth anything. Works well if you are winning, not so much when your teams continue to make the same mistakes over and over. He needs someone to teach his kids defense and how to play with more intensity. IMO Just don't see Manning making any changes because he thinks everything is fine

How the hell would you know that?

Back