• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

We get it - you hate Manning. But if you’re going to complain about something complain about something we’re bad at. Your constant barrage on the offense just shows you have no idea how basketball works or have any basis in fact in your arguments. We were the 7th best offense last year and 37th this year. I’m pretty sure Manning knows plenty about offensive sets

You don’t understand the X’s and O’s of basketball. You probably didn’t play in high school. Anyone with any basic knowledge of offensive basketball can look at our offense and see that we run no Dean Smith motion or shuffle cut offense. Our players stand and watch if they are not involved in a pick and roll. Why do you think we end up with a contested 3 pointer at the end of the shot clock. I don’t hate Manning. I just don’t think he is much of a coach.

You don’t understand the X’s and O’s of basketball. You probably didn’t play in high school. Anyone with any basic knowledge of offensive basketball can look at our offense and see that we run no Dean Smith motion or shuffle cut offense. Our players stand and watch if they are not involved in a pick and roll. Why do you think we end up with a contested 3 pointer at the end of the shot clock. I don’t hate Manning. I just don’t think he is much of a coach.

I played basketball for 15 years actually and I’m pretty sure any level of basketball that you’re the 7th best and 37th best out of 351 then offense is probably not something you should complain about.

I will take “things old white guys say” for 1000 please Alex

Lol. Glug fucking glug.

We lost a lot from last year’s team, but good god DM should get more out of this team. Don’t agree with the majority of his substitutions or lineups. If we don’t go a few rounds in the NCAAT next year, I think it’s time for him to go.

I played basketball for 15 years actually and I’m pretty sure any level of basketball that you’re the 7th best and 37th best out of 351 then offense is probably not something you should complain about.

I will take “things old white guys say” for 1000 please Alex

Lol. Glug fucking glug.

What offense do we run? I admit to knowing very little outside of Motion and 4-Out.

From what I can tell the Manning offense is a horrible AAU knockoff of what the Warriors do.

Last edited:
Year 4 and playing like this = Not getting the job done. This team is bad and the record shows it. Terrible chmistry. No fun. Not to watch and clearly the players are not having fun.

The players seemed to be enjoying themselves on Wednesday.
NC St looked like they quit when down 30 to ND w/o Bonzie. Now they are running around with all sorts of energy.

I don’t know if Manning is a good coach or not, but I do know it’s not his fault that Crawford and Childress were 9-34 shooting.

Last year's schemes weren't very dissimilar.

It's mind-blowing that so many here are either so stubborn in their belief that Danny can't coach, only use numbers they like or just know how to watch basketball.

What offense do we run? I admit to knowing very little outside of Motion and 4-Out.

From what I can tell the Manning offense is a horrible AAU knockoff of what the Warriors do.

Big man screens up top (sometimes both the 4 and 5 screen at the top of the key - which we did much more last season with Collins) creates a lot of moving parts and options for the guards.
First option: run off the screen and take the ball to the basket
Second option: rub off the screen and have the big roll to the basket for an oop or layup
Third option: rub off the screen, drive to the basket, bring the wing mans defender in for help and dish outside for the open three
Fourth option: with Sarr and Thompson there’s an option for a pick and pop for the three at the top of the key - easiest three pointer to make.
Fifth option: with only one big man screener up top, drive and take his defender off for help and dish it off to him under the basket.
Sixth option: the screeners man doesn’t hedge and the guard is wide open for an open three or a pull up jumper at the free throw line/elbow area

There are a ton of moving parts to Manning’s offense and that’s the reason it is successful. I’m sure there are other options/circumstances I didn’t mention that occur often.

Where do I send Wellman some flowers for destroying my love of Wake basketball? I don't even know when we play anymore and I have no opinion on Danny Manning as a coach.

I just know you don't put a novice in control when the situation is a dumpster fire. And that's what Wellman did to Danny Manning.

I know this post will get some pushback and that I’m preaching to a collective brick wall here, but winning on the road in the ACC is a really difficult thing to do. Can we stop, or at least try to limit, the DMCW stuff after every single game? Duke just lost to state on the road, a worse team than Boston College. It’s almost like winning on the road in the acc isn’t easy.

In year 4 has DM beat Duke or UNC at home or on the road...no

I know this post will get some pushback and that I’m preaching to a collective brick wall here, but winning on the road in the ACC is a really difficult thing to do. Can we stop, or at least try to limit, the DMCW stuff after every single game? Duke just lost to state on the road, a worse team than Boston College. It’s almost like winning on the road in the acc isn’t easy.
Agreed. So the expectation should be to beat Duke at home this year.

7th best at what? 37th best at what? Taking shitty contested shots and choking away leads?

Big man screens up top (sometimes both the 4 and 5 screen at the top of the key - which we did much more last season with Collins) creates a lot of moving parts and options for the guards.
First option: run off the screen and take the ball to the basket
Second option: rub off the screen and have the big roll to the basket for an oop or layup
Third option: rub off the screen, drive to the basket, bring the wing mans defender in for help and dish outside for the open three
Fourth option: with Sarr and Thompson there’s an option for a pick and pop for the three at the top of the key - easiest three pointer to make.
Fifth option: with only one big man screener up top, drive and take his defender off for help and dish it off to him under the basket.
Sixth option: the screeners man doesn’t hedge and the guard is wide open for an open three or a pull up jumper at the free throw line/elbow area

There are a ton of moving parts to Manning’s offense and that’s the reason it is successful. I’m sure there are other options/circumstances I didn’t mention that occur often.

That's a great plan for the first five seconds of the HT offense. But what happens if nothing is there? That's the problem with his offense. If it doesn't work in the first 10 seconds it descends into hero ball.

Last edited:
Back