• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I've posted that I think he has made the conscious decision to play an offensive lineup the last two years because it would give us a better chance to win or be in games. Our defensive lineups that people have been talking about wanting to see would have trouble scoring 50 points a game. Unless you think our defensive lineup is capable of holding offenses to that little scoring than going with an offense that can score 70-ish+ ppg gives you a better chance. Next year will be the first time Manning will have the guys on his team to play both good offense and good defense. I don't think it has much to do with scheme, as we saw last night (before the last 5 minutes).

Now, since our offense is struggling so much maybe it is time to use the defensive lineup more often. I don't know - its hard to imagine playing our defensive lineup mentioned here so often and winning basketball games this year.

Will agree to disagree.

The experts are pretty dumb too. How many experts had the Eagles in the Super Bowl this year? No one, because they were mediocre last year. But I did!

And I'm actually willing to forgive the Georgia Southern and Houston losses. Houston in particular is clearly a good, potentially NCAAT-caliber team, and playing a veteran, decent GaSo team right out of the gate wasn't ideal.

Just seems to me if Manning is gonna be the guy we woulda got more out of a capable team last year, but I would certainly be delighted if he proves me wrong. He's going to be our coach next year and quite probably the year after that too, so we'll all get to find out together

I agree with "willing to forgive" those two only, but we still should've won them. And yeah, I don't think he'll be gone after next year either but I also think we'll make the NCAA tournament next year so there will be no need for it. Ayo raised a good point last night though - that we have to find a way to replace Moore next year (moreso, have a capable back up for Sarr) and we do not have a center incoming. We will be relying on a true freshman in 2019 to provide good minutes at the 5, likely.

ETA: or maybe everyone returns and we play both forward at the 4 & 5. Teams have been successful lately with the 5 position being shorter than 6'10 (ND comes to mind with Colson comes to mind). It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Last edited:
With apologys to karlllllll

blind.jpg

Can we re-open the discussion as to whether our basketball program is once again "historically competitive"?

Does anyone have the figures on our first half versus second half of games for the last 2 seasons? If a team consistently is playing worse in the second half of games, it seems to me that there are only 2 likely reasons: one, lack of depth compared to other teams (an in-conference vs. out-of conference comparison would be useful for this), or two, the other team makes better coaching adjustments at halftime. What say you?

We've lost seven of our last eight and there's a good chance we could lose every single remaining game on the schedule with the exception of GT at home and Pitt away. I think both of those are winnable, but not guarantees. Aside from the unfathomable stupidity of the sunshine brigade who defended Bzzz under similar circumstances, is there really anything else to discuss at this point?

The worst thing that could have happened was our outside shooting versus Syracuse. That outlier will justify the current end-game strategy of desperation three's all season.

We've lost seven of our last eight and there's a good chance we could lose every single remaining game on the schedule with the exception of GT at home and Pitt away. I think both of those are winnable, but not guarantees. Aside from the unfathomable stupidity of the sunshine brigade who defended Bzzz under similar circumstances, is there really anything else to discuss at this point?

sure

let's talk about our fucking horrible gray uniforms

For those that want to read what "Peak Manning" sounded like on these boards less than a year ago, I'll refer you to pages 154 & 155 on this thread.

What a difference (less than) a year makes.
"Peak Crawford" too, although to be fair maybe that later last summer when he was being touted as a 2018 first rounder.

Losing both bigs was unfortunate because it no doubt affected some of Manning's plans/recruiting and set us back, but playing solid D is what gets teams through years like this year. Huge hole at this point and that's coaching. Maybe Manning can recruit his way around that going forward...ie better and longer defenders. Left to be seen but recruiting looks really promising.

A couple of things ring true though. Some on here predicted Bz would cost us 10 years total before climbing back to relevance. I didn't believe it at the time, but it looks like they were probably right....now in year 7. That hole was deep. Many also thought the 16-17 class was disappointing and that also seems to be the case. The push for Giles hurt.

At least DM isn't a DB like Buzzdalick

It sucks to agree but Buzz is a much better in game coach. We have taken a step back in game coaching.

Bottom line: DM needs very good players to be good. With good players, the team will be decent. With decent players, we will go 2-16. But wait- we had Collins 2 years ago and went 2-16.

We were #36 in Kenpom last year, so I wouldn't say squeaking into the tournament was any sort of over achievement. Even though it felt quite good at the time after years of sucktitude.

It also is not very hard to be in the NCAA Tourney mix from a power conference. Syracuse isn't any good this year yet they're currently in Lunardi's field, and a team like BC that was horrible last year isn't far away either

Should be good times when we show up on Cuse's bad losses list.

I refuse to acknowledge that Bz was a better in-game coach than Manning. Not sure how that has become accepted as fact around here. Bz was a disaster in all aspects of coaching Wake Forest Basketball. We got fucking destroyed with regularity during his tenure... That hasn't happened with Manning (yet). Maybe tonight, but I doubt it.

Back