• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Definitely in agreement that we don’t want Ron Wellman to hire another basketball coach ever again. He’s not able to identify a good candidate.

Manning sucks, but this game would have been lost by any WF coach. UVA is No. 2 in the nation and so much better at each position.

The overall lack of improvement of play, game closure and team cohesion over the the entire season is much more damning than a loss to the nation's #2 team.

Manning does not care enough about defense. We have a few good defenders on this team but they do not play enough.

Our best defenders are Chill, Chaundeac, Moore, & Sarr. These 4 should play a large number of minutes. The 5th spot should be whichever guard is shooting well that night. Melo should get back up playing time as well as he has looked like an excellent defender in the little time I have seen him play. Mitchel should back up the big men and it should be a 3 man rotation for 2 spots.

This lineup would rebound as well.

If Manning played this lineup and showed the team that playing time will have a lot to do with defensive effort & intensity, I would bet a few of the others would show more defensive focus.

To bad that Manning sees jump shooters and offensive proficiency as the totality of a basketball team.

I'll take my line-up over Manning's every day of the week.

Manning does not care enough about defense. We have a few good defenders on this team but they do not play enough.

Our best defenders are Chill, Chaundeac, Moore, & Sarr. These 4 should play a large number of minutes. The 5th spot should be whichever guard is shooting well that night. Melo should get back up playing time as well as he has looked like an excellent defender in the little time I have seen him play. Mitchel should back up the big men and it should be a 3 man rotation for 2 spots.

If Manning played this lineup and showed the team that playing time will have a lot to do with defensive effort & intensity, I would bet a few of the others would show more defensive focus.

To bad that Manning sees jump shooters and offensive proficiency as the totality of a basketball team.

Definitely agree with the idea of your post but Manning does play Moore/Sarr/Chaundee and Childress a lot. Well, should play Chaundee more and I wouldn't mind seeing Childress take more minutes from Crawford/Woods.

Throwing Melo in there would definitely be a wildcard and could shake some things up defensively.

Definitely agree with the idea of your post but Manning does play Moore/Sarr/Chaundee and Childress a lot. Well, should play Chaundee more and I wouldn't mind seeing Childress take more minutes from Crawford/Woods.

Throwing Melo in there would definitely be a wildcard and could shake some things up defensively.

These guys do get decent run, but I think they should play more. They should start and be the heart of this team.

Definitely in agreement that we don’t want Ron Wellman to hire another basketball coach ever again. He’s not able to identify a good candidate.

It sure seems like the bluehairs and the people whose opinions matter ($$) are fans of Wellman and wouldn't be likely to push him out the door. The only way he leaves is on his own terms.

It sure seems like the bluehairs and the people whose opinions matter ($$) are fans of Wellman and wouldn't be likely to push him out the door. The only way he leaves is on his own terms.

I'm learning that the apathy has fully set in with many old timer blue hairs too. Whether they like Ron as a person or not, I feel like they don't care enough to defend him anymore, nor do they care enough to run him out of town. We are stuck in Wake Basketball purgatory. Save us Jaylen Hoard...Save us.

Very few fans are as passionate as the ones who post on these boards aside from the obvious ones who stand up and cheer game in and game out.

Surely Mit Shah is not happy/will raise hell. Dude is not a blue hair, knows basketball, and just gave $5MM for the new complex.

Down to 77th in offensive efficiency for all the "Look at how good our offense is under Manning!!!" people. Nah, John Collins is just really, really good at basketball.

Down to 77th in offensive efficiency for all the "Look at how good our offense is under Manning!!!" people. Nah, John Collins is just really, really good at basketball.

We start every possession with a high ball screen and dribbling. How about running Woods or Chill off a screen for an open look? UVA and other teams jump on our point guard and it takes another 5 seconds to get the ball moving. It happens every time down the court if there isn’t a fast break.

It's not just John. Austin Arians was good on offense with a slash of .466/427/.892. Dinos was also good on offense and had to be respected by the opposition which created open lanes and opportunities. Saying this is all about John is simplistic and totally mistaken.

We lost a ton.

Well, we are Wake Forest, it's been since what? 2009 or 2005 since we've had 'huge' losses. When you have barely enough talent to make the play-in game, losing a 1st round draft pick and a solid starter is a huge loss.

I disagree that we barely had enough talent to make the play-in game. I think we had a much better team than that, but squandered a lot of chances for wins that would have solidified our resume, or at least made it more in line with our statistical ranking. Basically we almost choked away a tournament bid.

I disagree that we barely had enough talent to make the play-in game. I think we had a much better team than that, but squandered a lot of chances for wins that would have solidified our resume, or at least made it more in line with our statistical ranking. Basically we almost choked away a tournament bid.

Even after watching the team this year, you still believe that?

Which other ACC coaches would you not trade Manning for? Christian and Stallings? Maybe Padgett? Are any others even arguable?

Agree in principle, but you have to score as well. You need guys who can put the ball in the basket.

For those that want to read what "Peak Manning" sounded like on these boards less than a year ago, I'll refer you to pages 154 & 155 on this thread.

What a difference (less than) a year makes.

For those that want to read what "Peak Manning" sounded like on these boards less than a year ago, I'll refer you to pages 154 & 155 on this thread.

What a difference (less than) a year makes.

Yeah it is pretty amazing to read some of those and see what's on the boards now. Even a post saying "we are playing better than the sum of our parts" which is the exact opposite of what people are saying now. Amazing that people can forget the improvement we saw last year and think Manning should be fired right at this moment even after losing our entire front court. I guess that's the knee jerk everyone seems to love so much.

Yeah it is pretty amazing to read some of those and see what's on the boards now. Even a post saying "we are playing better than the sum of our parts" which is the exact opposite of what people are saying now. Amazing that people can forget the improvement we saw last year and think Manning should be fired right at this moment even after losing our entire front court. I guess that's the knee jerk everyone seems to love so much.

Or that's how good John Collins is. Our defense last year was so abysmal that Wake barely made the tournament.

The Clemson game last year where they scored approximately 13 in a row to end the game and Collins had no touches almost made me physically ill.

This is not something that just surfaced this year.

We were #36 in Kenpom last year, so I wouldn't say squeaking into the tournament was any sort of over achievement. Even though it felt quite good at the time after years of sucktitude.

It also is not very hard to be in the NCAA Tourney mix from a power conference. Syracuse isn't any good this year yet they're currently in Lunardi's field, and a team like BC that was horrible last year isn't far away either

Back