• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Where is Jeff at now? Wonder if he could be brought back in some type of consultative way to help the program.

I don't think there is any coach that is worse once the players are on campus. There probably are worse recruiters.
And the pendulum has officially reached its apex. Manning is literally the worst coach in college basketball (other than recruiting). No development success, no pre-game preparation and scout, no player management, no administrative prowess, no talent in media and donor interaction. Worst in America. Got it.

You've got such a narrow perspective on what coaches actually do that it's ridiculous.

Manning isn’t the guy. The dialogue on here reminds me of the Buzz rationalizations. He’s shown us he is not the guy and spending the next two years trying to talk yourself into him is just going to make it all the more painful. I hope he is gone as soon as possible. I don’t need to see anymore.

This. I’m glad he’s brought in some decent recruits, but what has he done with them since he got here? Some people on here act like last year was some miracle coaching job. We barely snuck into a play-in game and went 9-9 in conference to finish in what, 10th place? Year before that we finished in 14th place and the year before that we finished 12th in conference. This year we will probably be anywhere from 12-14th once it’s all said and done. How does this inspire confidence for those who are willing to justify the job DM is doing? How? I really want to know.

And the pendulum has officially reached its apex. Manning is literally the worst coach in college basketball (other than recruiting). No development success, no pre-game preparation and scout, no player management, no administrative prowess, no talent in media and donor interaction. Worst in America. Got it.

You've got such a narrow perspective on what coaches actually do that it's ridiculous.

In the conference. Not in the entire country. Per the conversation we were having.

Who in conference would you not prefer as a coach once the players are on campus?

Manning is going to coach this guy, who will start from Day 1 because we have no one on the roster at his size that can do any of these things.

How do posters watch video of Hoard and still write about how he'll just be another freshman who won't have much of an impact?

Will Hoard be able to succeed in spite of Manning's glaring deficiencies? Is he John-Collins-good, where he can just stabilize/lift a team on his own in spite of his coaching staff's rampant incompetence?

I'm legit asking - I know nothing of Hoard, as I don't pay much attention to recruiting.

In the conference. Not in the entire country. Per the conversation we were having.

Who in conference would you not prefer as a coach once the players are on campus?
Fair, I didn't notice the post you quoted. Apologies.

Still, my point is that a whole lot goes on behind the scenes that we don't see. And while in-game performance remains our best opportunity for judgement as fans, I feel like we're ignoring the good because the bad is so glaring. I guess that's sports though.

IMO, Manning's primary issue is arrogance. He needs to bring in an experienced, top assistant (maybe with HC experience) who can coach X and Os and help Manning with his in-game coaching issues.

How many times in a row can you watch the PG dribble around 30 feet from the basket, farting around with a half-ass screen from a big man who can't shoot the 3, then watch with 5 seconds to go in the SC as they fire up a contested 3 or drive and get blocked? We unsuccessfully ran that same set, over and over again last night while Duke on the other end never ran the same set twice in a row.

We don't have the shooters to spread everyone out and run a high ball screen at the top of the key (like every NBA team does). We have to move the ball and for god-sake, can someone please set a screen off the ball to get a cutter open.

DM is a good recruiter, does well developing big men (e.g. JC and Moore) and is a fine representative of WFU, but he is a inadequate offensive coach and very mediocre at in-game coach decisions.

Don't really get how that shows Manning is arrogant (never really got that impression)

Will Hoard be able to succeed in spite of Manning's glaring deficiencies? Is he John-Collins-good, where he can just stabilize/lift a team on his own in spite of his coaching staff's rampant incompetence?

I'm legit asking - I know nothing of Hoard, as I don't pay much attention to recruiting.

Will Manning even play Hoard? Seems like the media and fans had to make it obvious to him that Chaundee Brown should be getting more minutes this season.

Just curious. Who on our staff coaches the guards? Could it be the guy who was a guard in college ? I'm sticking to the notion that this team is flawed, and coaching won't solve it this season. Why Crawford has regressed seems a mystery doesn't it, for a kid who very likely fancies himself an NBA prospect? Not defending bad coaching or decisions, but I'm definitely skeptical of those being the only reasons for our decline this season. Doral Moore seems to know what he's supposed to do. Maybe the other guys can't do what's needed on this year's team. Players play.

He succeeded at HP Wesleyan

You are what your record says you are. Applies to Wake and Manning individually. Without overwhelming talent, Manning's coaching flaws are apparent.

I'm pretty much back in Bz mode - "wake me when it's over." But since I don't trust Ron to hire another bball coach, the "when it's over" refers to Wellman. I've come to realize that Wellman is popular with the old money, and will stay as long as he wants.

This. I’m glad he’s brought in some decent recruits, but what has he done with them since he got here? Some people on here act like last year was some miracle coaching job. We barely snuck into a play-in game and went 9-9 in conference to finish in what, 10th place? Year before that we finished in 14th place and the year before that we finished 12th in conference. This year we will probably be anywhere from 12-14th once it’s all said and done. How does this inspire confidence for those who are willing to justify the job DM is doing? How? I really want to know.

One guy got much better...thus, Manning is a good coach.

The irony here is that even the largest Manning supporters admit that he STILL needs to grow into the job. Never mind that he's been a coach for 14-15 years now, cut his teeth under a hall of famer, and has 6 years of head coaching experience. How many years do you pay someone $2+ million dollars to learn how to do their job? At this level of competition and pay, any hire should know what the hell they are doing. It's absurd to continue to defend this bullshit and to expect that Manning is suddenly going to turn into a great coach as he nears his second decade in the profession.

Last edited:
flybyimg.php

IMO, Manning's primary issue is arrogance. He needs to bring in an experienced, top assistant (maybe with HC experience) who can coach X and Os and help Manning with his in-game coaching issues.

How many times in a row can you watch the PG dribble around 30 feet from the basket, farting around with a half-ass screen from a big man who can't shoot the 3, then watch with 5 seconds to go in the SC as they fire up a contested 3 or drive and get blocked? We unsuccessfully ran that same set, over and over again last night while Duke on the other end never ran the same set twice in a row.

We don't have the shooters to spread everyone out and run a high ball screen at the top of the key (like every NBA team does). We have to move the ball and for god-sake, can someone please set a screen off the ball to get a cutter open.

DM is a good recruiter, does well developing big men (e.g. JC and Moore) and is a fine representative of WFU, but he is a inadequate offensive coach and very mediocre at in-game coach decisions.
Agree 100%. The junior high level offense we run is a joke. We don’t pass the ball. We don’t screen off the ball. Just an endless succession of pick and roll where out guard gets double teamed 23 feet from the basket and looks for someone to help him out. And Crawford needs to sit for a couple of games. He is killing us with his attitude, lack of leadership, poor shooting, lack of defensive effort and turnovers. He is a cancer on the court.

Agree 100%. The junior high level offense we run is a joke. We don’t pass the ball. We don’t screen off the ball. Just an endless succession of pick and roll where out guard gets double teamed 23 feet from the basket and looks for someone to help him out. And Crawford needs to sit for a couple of games. He is killing us with his attitude, lack of leadership, poor shooting, lack of defensive effort and turnovers. He is a cancer on the court.

This x10000

It doesn't matter what kind of talent you have if you're unable to channel it into leadership. Give Chill the reigns at PG the next couple of games and see what happens. Maybe it lights a fire under Craw and he comes back focused for the remainder of the season.

Yep, let's take our leading scorer and best wing defender off the court. That should work well.

Anyone who calls Crawford our best wing defender is clearly just not paying close attention.

Back