• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Yep, let's take our leading scorer and best wing defender off the court. That should work well.

Wait, what? Best wing defender? Crawford is one of the worst, maybe the worst, defenders on our team (yes, even Mitch has been better this year), if not the country.

Also, who cares if he's our leading scorer for the season? For the last couple of games he's been, by far, the most detrimental player to the team.

IMO, Manning's primary issue is arrogance. He needs to bring in an experienced, top assistant (maybe with HC experience) who can coach X and Os and help Manning with his in-game coaching issues.

If we're doing this, why do we need to keep the current head coach? Knowing X and Os at this level of basketball is a minimum requirement for this type of head coaching job.

Anyone who calls Crawford our best wing defender is clearly just not paying close attention.

this...

You want to set a tone where you support a player when they go through a rough patch. But you can't allow reckless play determine the outcome of games. We have a really good chance to win that game if not for SOOO many points off turnovers for Duke. That's a problem.

If we're doing this, why do we need to keep the current head coach? Knowing X and Os at this level of basketball is a minimum requirement for this type of head coaching job.

Lol. Could you imagine a coach getting paid millions upon millions of dollars to just sit on the bench during the game while his assistant runs the subs, calls plays, talks to the refs, etc?

Yep, let's take our leading scorer and best wing defender off the court. That should work well.

Crawford watches his guy blow by him multiple times every game.

Childress and Chaundeac are our two best on ball defenders. Chill, Chaundee, Sarr, Moore, Mitchell, Melo need to see as many minutes as possible every game. Bring Mitch and Key in off the bench for their single skill set- shooting.

A couple games on the bench and Craw would come back as a new player if he has any pride.

Lol. Could you imagine a coach getting paid millions upon millions of dollars to just sit on the bench during the game while his assistant runs the subs, calls plays, talks to the refs, etc?

Agreed. If this is the criteria, I guess you could just hire a super model to recruit the players and have her wear stilettos and short skirts on the bench. She'd be far more effective at recruiting.

We will get destroyed without him on the court. It won't do any good and could do great harm for next year.

We will get destroyed without him on the court. It won't do any good and could do great harm for next year.

Do you really think Crawford will be on the team next year? I’ve been a big fan of his, and I’m sad to be criticizing him like this, but he has had a negative impact on many games this season. And I kept thinking he’ll be the old Crawford in the big games. Well those have come and gone. He appears not to want to be here, and I don’t expect he will be.

Do you really think Crawford will be on the team next year? I’ve been a big fan of his, and I’m sad to be criticizing him like this, but he has had a negative impact on many games this season. And I kept thinking he’ll be the old Crawford in the big games. Well those have come and gone. He appears not to want to be here, and I don’t expect he will be.

How many American players have left school early to go play pro ball in Europe or Asia?

Lets rephrase this. Does anyone think K, Roy, Self, or really any other coach, would stand idle to what Crawford has been doing this season?

Any chance he graduates and does a post-grad year somewhere else?

This is just wrong and wrong to say. There's no doubt he's having a tough season. Most of his TOs are because he's trying too hard not that he has checked out.

He is not going to the NBA after this year. Unless he graduates, it makes no sense to go to Europe. He'll be back next year and we'll be much better.

This has been a very tough year, but these types of comments do nothing but harm us going forward.

This is just wrong and wrong to say. There's no doubt he's having a tough season. Most of his TOs are because he's trying too hard not that he has checked out.

He is not going to the NBA after this year. Unless he graduates, it makes no sense to go to Europe. He'll be back next year and we'll be much better.

This has been a very tough year, but these types of comments do nothing but harm us going forward.

I definitely hope he comes back. We'll lack depth at the pg position if he does not. Saying comments on here harm us going forward is taking a step overboard, though. If he's a competitor, reading comments should make him want to prove everyone wrong (that is if he reads these, gives a shit about these, etc. which is not highly likely).

One guy got much better...thus, Manning is a good coach.

The irony here is that even the largest Manning supporters admit that he STILL needs to grow into the job. Never mind that he's been a coach for 14-15 years now, cut his teeth under a hall of famer, and has 6 years of head coaching experience. How many years do you pay someone $2+ million dollars to learn how to do their job? At this level of competition and pay, any hire should know what the hell they are doing. It's absurd to continue to defend this bullshit and to expect that Manning is suddenly going to turn into a great coach as he nears his second decade in the profession.

To be fair, Doral Moore has exhibited significant improvement this year...but to be clear I still don't think that makes Manning a good head coach.

I definitely hope he comes back. We'll lack depth at the pg position if he does not. Saying comments on here harm us going forward is taking a step overboard, though. If he's a competitor, reading comments should make him want to prove everyone wrong (that is if he reads these, gives a shit about these, etc. which is not highly likely).

It would be one thing if it was one person or only after a bad or two games. But it has been a cottage industry here. If it were me, I'd see if I could graduate and look for a Top 20 team that would want me as a starter.

I hope Crawford comes back. Look at the number of underclassmen who enter the draft and go undrafted. They do something. And it’s common.

I agree with this mostly. Crawford regressed because he doesn't have confidence in his team mates like he did last year. However, the solution to the problem is not to continue to let him play out of control unabated.

I didn't say that. Danny has pulled him several times after bad plays. He needs to do that and to have meetings with him (which may be happening).

If Hoard and Mucius are as good as they appear to be, Doral continues to improve and Sarr does as well, we will need Bryant to reach our potential.

Back