• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Man, I really want Manning to stick. I think he is a strong character dude, good for Wake. I remember watching his run, amazing...nostalgic I guess.

I agree with everything said, sadly. The shortcomings are there (defense and intensity). I see the recruiting and development, of big men, and am intreagued. Guards, not as much. That is sad with what we had coming back and the impact we thought they would have on our team. We knew post was unproven/deficit coming in. That is the main reason for our issues this year, guard play. Is the on Childress (I believe he is coaching up the guards)? I would never say to let go my favorite basketball player of all time. Not a chance! I don’t care where he is (role for the program), but it must be at Wake.

So here we are...

Assume the team loses twenty games this year and fails to make the Dance next year. At that point Manning detractors and supporters seem to agree it is time for a new coach. Assume that Ron Wellman remains the AD and has the full support of Hatch and the BOT. sportsnut, awaken and myself have all cautioned that Wellman is the primary problem. However both detractors and supporters have avoided addressing this problem. Anyone care to discuss this issue in a realistic manner?

This is just about all the message board has been discussing for the past 8 years. Thanks, Wellman.

Man, I really want Manning to stick. I think he is a strong character dude, good for Wake. I remember watching his run, amazing...nostalgic I guess.

I agree with everything said, sadly. The shortcomings are there (defense and intensity). I see the recruiting and development, of big men, and am intreagued. Guards, not as much. That is sad with what we had coming back and the impact we thought they would have on our team. We knew post was unproven/deficit coming in. That is the main reason for our issues this year, guard play. Is the on Childress (I believe he is coaching up the guards)? I would never say to let go my favorite basketball player of all time. Not a chance! I don’t care where he is (role for the program), but it must be at Wake.

So here we are...

I think Childress has more of the great player/can't empathize with his players bad coach syndrome than Manning does. Both Crawford and Brandon try to play like Randolph did and just can't do it except in flashes. And those flashes are fool's gold.

Assume the team loses twenty games this year and fails to make the Dance next year. At that point Manning detractors and supporters seem to agree it is time for a new coach. Assume that Ron Wellman remains the AD and has the full support of Hatch and the BOT. sportsnut, awaken and myself have all cautioned that Wellman is the primary problem. However both detractors and supporters have avoided addressing this problem. Anyone care to discuss this issue in a realistic manner?

This is the question, and I agree that RW is the central issue concerning our decade long BBall program debacle. I’m firmly #Manningout, but I don’t know what to do with Wellman. If he’s left alone, will he make a fourth bad HC hire in a row? Probably. The most realistic outcome is that BOT forces a consultant hire to conduct a HC search and Wellman oversees it, but is given a list of candidates to choose from that he hopefully can’t fuck up too badly. Short of that, I really don’t know what’s worse...hanging onto Manning or seeing if Wellman can finally make a competent hire without intervention. Super risky either way...

I'm a detractor. Wellman has ruined our basketball program. But, I have no idea how any of us are going to "address the problem" unless someone on here has about $50M lying around to wave under Hatch's nose. And, even then, I think Hatch is equally tone-deaf to the plight of our basketball debacle. I don't think Hatch really gives two fucks if we win 10 games or 30 in a season. And, Wellman.... he just keeps socking away the cash for facelifts and hair dye.

Realistically, I'm not sure what can be done at this point. Wellman has essentially conned all the right people. Those are the people with huge pockets of cash.

Last edited:
I think Childress has more of the great player/can't empathize with his players bad coach syndrome than Manning does. Both Crawford and Brandon try to play like Randolph did and just can't do it except in flashes. And those flashes are fool's gold.

This is how I feel. Watching Crawford and Chill's son, it's like they are trying to put the team on their back the way Chill did -- "Give me the damn ball" -- and do not come close to his talent. So they fail. Chill should know better than to expect his style to carry over to others. It's like he doesn't know how gifted he was/ is.

No way Manning is gone after this year. Going to take to much loot to pay him off. He will get at least one more year, probably 2

I think this is all but a guarantee. I'm not tapped into the blue-hair community, but anecdotally it seems that Wellman can do no wrong in the eyes of the moneybags. The only way he goes is if he retires.

I think this is all but a guarantee. I'm not tapped into the blue-hair community, but anecdotally it seems that Wellman can do no wrong in the eyes of the moneybags. The only way he goes is if he retires.

It really probably swings on a handful of the big dog donors. Sutton, Shah, Flow, and McCreary.

I thought this article was very telling: https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/09/04/Colleges/Wake-Forest.aspx . It doesn't really give much credit at all to Wellman for the facility upgrades, rather it positions Sutton as the one with the vision and the initiative.

It's a little beside the point though because Wellman is due to turn 70 this year. Probably better than even odds that his retirement will be announced this year.

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in and pile on UNC as they should drop out of the top 25 soon. This is a GOOD year to catch them and beat them, and to Manning’s dis-credit, our end of game winning play at UNC was disorganized and executed so poorly.

It’s a very common play where inbounded, Key in this case, but usually a guard, gets the ball back with option to shoot or get to the rim with full head of steam. I think CP3 and Ish made almost same play to win games in past. We sucked it up so bad, and got the ball to one of our slowest guys, not ideal, and it was almost like we did not really know what to do.

It really probably swings on a handful of the big dog donors. Sutton, Shah, Flow, and McCreary.

I thought this article was very telling: https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/09/04/Colleges/Wake-Forest.aspx . It doesn't really give much credit at all to Wellman for the facility upgrades, rather it positions Sutton as the one with the vision and the initiative.

It's a little beside the point though because Wellman is due to turn 70 this year. Probably better than even odds that his retirement will be announced this year.

An announced retirement this summer would be best for all parties involved and the new AD could be in place by the end of the calendar year.

Wellman saves face as the perception is he leaves on his own terms and the new AD has enough head start to begin evaluating and vetting coaching candidates when Manning inevitably falls on his face next season.

Win - Win

An announced retirement this summer would be best for all parties involved and the new AD could be in place by the end of the calendar year.

Wellman saves face as the perception is he leaves on his own terms and the new AD has enough head start to begin evaluating and vetting coaching candidates when Manning inevitably falls on his face next season.

Win - Win

Roll the quad when it happens?

Heavens, yes.

And then we were chastised by Aaron Rountree. Really the only thing I remember about Rountree's career at Wake.

Didn't Hatch and Wellman also "wag the finger" at the quad rolling as well?

If that's all it took to keep Wake students from rolling The Quad, you guys are monumentally bigger wusses than I thought.

51-66 as Wake’s HC. Not credible. Also starting Thompson over Sarr tonight, so yeah...not credible.

Back