• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Not sure the implication of the question, but comparing Manning to Skip is laughably ludicrous. Skip had an established level of success at X, took over a stagnant Wake program and returned it to relevancy immediately, all before Chris Paul set foot on campus.

Manning had two mediocre years at Tulsa, took over an admittedly bare cupboard, and parlayed that opportunity into three years of embarrassment with a play-in game appearance mixed in.

Skip had his deficiencies for sure, particularly on the defensive end, but Manning can't coach his way out of a paper bag. If there's a way those post-Paul teams could play this year's squad, the smart money would be on the former.

Just pointing out that context matters. I’m not comparing Manning to Skip and clearly don’t think Skip should have been fired.

Comparing the program Skip took over to the one Manning did would be even more ludicrous. Skip’s first team at Wake had a senior Songaila and a junior Josh Howard. Stagnant seems like a strange word to describe those guys.

Is Manning family to you?

Nope. Just think reactionary hysteria outside of the game threads is silly and exhausting.

Manning’s first two years are meaningless, last year was cause for hope, and this year is cause for concern. Next year the cupboard is fully on Manning. If you are willing to look it’s not hard to see a top 5 ACC team made up of Crawford, Woods, Chaundee, Hoard, Moore, Childress, Mucius, Sarr, etc. It’s also not hard to see a less talented version of the 2009 team without the feel good #1 ranking.

There are four long-time pros on next year's team, all of whom are averaging at least right around 10 ppg this year well into their NBA careers? Seems pretty significantly less talented

There are four long-time pros on next year's team, all of whom are averaging at least right around 10 ppg this year well into their NBA careers? Seems pretty significantly less talented

I'd be willing to bet we have 4 pros on next years squad.

I mean, a healthy chunk of college basketball players play pro ball somewhere. Not what I meant though

We still won 15 games that year. Only really bad loss was to Air Force...ugh, that was the worst.

We also closed out the season 6-5 after starting 9-11 and carried that momentum, along with an influx of talent, through the next two years.

Hopefully this team can do the same; our remaining schedule sets up relatively well for such a run.

Picked 2009 as an example of wasted talent. I doubt we have four guys that will all last as long as those four will, but at the time none of us thought they would last this long, partly because of how much they underperformed while at Wake.

Picked 2009 as an example of wasted talent. I doubt we have four guys that will all last as long as those four will, but at the time none of us thought they would last this long, partly because of how much they underperformed while at Wake.

who are you claiming underperformed at wake?

The team. And relative to the career he’s carved out probably Ish, though I think he’s simply a case of just consistently getting better.

Pretty sure Ish was an NBA quality guard from the moment he stepped on campus.

That’s what I’ve heard.

That’s what I’ve heard.

Wait, what? He never averaged more than 8.7 points in his first three years or 3.8 assists, and one of those seasons he shot 29% from the FT line. Also a career .301 3 point shooter.

That’s what I’ve heard.

That just wrapped the needle on my sarcasm meter around the peg. And I need it, along with my revisionist history detector and BS detector to continue reading here.

The team. And relative to the career he’s carved out probably Ish, though I think he’s simply a case of just consistently getting better.

Ish bounced on and off rosters for his first three years in the league, I don’t think you can use where his career is now as proof he underperformed at Wake. And, really, if we are honest both AFA and JJ struggled more in the early phases of their NBA careers then I think we all expected.

What were the defensive adjustments?

From the game thread:

Lol okay I can answer these.

3. Defensive adjustment of every single person not collapsing on the driver - leaving their guy wide open in the corner or on the wings for a three pointer. That is a very specific defensive adjustment made at halftime that allowed us to make them shoot contested shots (and miss them) and one of the reasons we won yesterday.

4. Yes we held the #17 offense to 72. This narrative a lot of you keep creating that when we do something well it's the other team's fault and when we do something bad it's our fault is idiotic.

Good enough?

FSU scoring was second lowest all season, only Louisville game was lower (69 points).
FSU was 6-14 shooting threes in the first half. They were 0-7 in the second. Did they just lose shooting touch in the locker room?

This thread should simply be the entire Wikipedia entry for “recency bias”

It did remind me of DV7 doomed mission to picket the FSU game all those years ago....

Not really. I think everyone realizes that we didn't play a perfect game yesterday. But, as with most games, we saw streaks of what this team is capable of and what Danny is capable of. Both are equally streaky, and yesterday was just a time where we lined up enough streaks (danny calling good plays and our players actually executing) to pull out a W. The defense in the 2nd half was arguably the best defense we have played all year. It's not like I expect us to play that well on D every game from here on out, but at least we know it's in there somewhere. Hopefully this game gave a boost of confidence to the coaching staff (to make adjustments) and the players (to give effort on D and move on offense). And hopefully Chaundee can continue to build, because he was damn good last night on both ends of the court.

Last edited:
What were the defensive adjustments?

Not collapsing on the driver, letting them meet Moore at the rim, and staying with your man on the three point line. Resulted in highly contesting shots from outside for them or forcing them to drive. Manning definitely made defensive adjustments at halftime and it’s hilarious people can only see his negatives, ever pointing out when he does things well.

Last edited:
From the game thread:

FSU scoring was second lowest all season, only Louisville game was lower (69 points).
FSU was 6-14 shooting threes in the first half. They were 0-7 in the second. Did they just lose shooting touch in the locker room?

Thank you

Not really. I think everyone realizes that we didn't play a perfect game yesterday. But, as with most games, we saw streaks of what this team is capable of and what Danny is capable of. Both are equally streaky, and yesterday was just a time where we lined up enough streaks (danny calling good plays and our players actually executing) to pull out a W. The defense in the 2nd half was arguably the best defense we have played all year. It's not like I expect us to play that well on D every game from here on out, but at least we know it's in there somewhere. Hopefully this game gave a boost of confidence to the coaching staff (to make adjustments) and the players (to give effort on D and move on offense). And hopefully Chaundee can continue to build, because he was damn good last night on both ends of the court.

Great post. It is okay to recognize both Manning’s strengths and good decisions and his weaknesses and bad decisions simultaneously. One does not have to choose to only recognize one and block out the other.

Back