• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Ish bounced on and off rosters for his first three years in the league, I don’t think you can use where his career is now as proof he underperformed at Wake. And, really, if we are honest both AFA and JJ struggled more in the early phases of their NBA careers then I think we all expected.

Agree with the first, not with the second. I think saying “4 NBA players” is a bit misleading as Ish was probably just on the wrong side of that border when he was at Wake and only his senior year.

The second half of last night's game was probably the best effort and execution displayed by the Deacs this year. It's not surprising the team can perform in a winning manner. They have done so on numerous occasions during Manning's tenure. The problem is they don't provide that effort and execution with consistence during a game or game to game. They are more likely to lack the effort and execution necessary to defeat Clemson Saturday than to provide it. That is on Manning and that is why he receives criticism. Quality coaches demand effort and execution from their team.

Ish bounced on and off rosters for his first three years in the league, I don’t think you can use where his career is now as proof he underperformed at Wake. And, really, if we are honest both AFA and JJ struggled more in the early phases of their NBA careers then I think we all expected.

I disagree. They were tweeners. We knew it would take them some time.

I’m surprised both look like guys who will play 12+ years.

The second half of last night's game was probably the best effort and execution displayed by the Deacs this year. It's not surprising the team can perform in a winning manner. They have done so on numerous occasions during Manning's tenure. The problem is they don't provide that effort and execution with consistence during a game or game to game. They are more likely to lack the effort and execution necessary to defeat Clemson Saturday than to provide it. That is on Manning and that is why he receives criticism. Quality coaches demand effort and execution from their team.

Quality coaches produce quality teams. Who gives a shit how they do it? Manning doesn’t deserve criticism because his teams don’t give consistent effort (which is an ironic criticism given that last year’s team proved maddeningly consistent), he deserves criticism because our team isn’t good this year and it’s reasonable to expect better from him in year 4 of this rebuild.

Quality coaches produce quality teams. Who gives a shit how they do it? Manning doesn’t deserve criticism because his teams don’t give consistent effort (which is an ironic criticism given that last year’s team proved maddeningly consistent), he deserves criticism because our team isn’t good this year and it’s reasonable to expect better from him in year 4 of this rebuild.
A team that doesn't give consistent effort is underperforming to its potential no matter how your lawyer brain wants to try to twist the argument.

I agree. In fact that is my major criticism. Coaches can't make players more talented, but they can demand effort and create strategies that maximize the talent they do have. I was only able to watch the 2nd half last night, but how many times did we fail to get back on defense? Even after made free throws! That is inexcusable! We worked much harder on offense than we did on defense, which paid off because FSU didn't shoot well. I'm glad we won, but we play lazy basketball especially on defense and that is on the coach.

ding ding ding

No more calls, we have a winner.

A team that doesn't give consistent effort is underperforming to its potential no matter how your lawyer brain wants to try to twist the argument.

Plenty, probably most, quality college teams underperform their potential, including most championship teams. I don’t care if Wake underperforms it’s potential, I care whether Wake is good or not. If that’s with overachieving 3 star gym rats, great. If that’s by inconsistent 5 stars, also great.

I agree. In fact that is my major criticism. Coaches can't make players more talented, but they can demand effort and create strategies that maximize the talent they do have. I was only able to watch the 2nd half last night, but how many times did we fail to get back on defense? Even after made free throws! That is inexcusable! We worked much harder on offense than we did on defense, which paid off because FSU didn't shoot well. I'm glad we won, but we play lazy basketball especially on defense and that is on the coach.

Hate to break it to you but “effort” is just as much a skill as shooting, passing, etc. Demanding effort is about as effective as demanding free throw accuracy.

Agree with the first, not with the second. I think saying “4 NBA players” is a bit misleading as Ish was probably just on the wrong side of that border when he was at Wake and only his senior year.

In their 5th years, they both signed 1 year contracts for the minimum.

Visual representation of this thread:

depositphotos_5892788-stock-photo-3d-man-surrounded-by-crowd.jpg

Hate to break it to you but “effort” is just as much a skill as shooting, passing, etc. Demanding effort is about as effective as demanding free throw accuracy.

Do not agree with this. You think UVA's players just naturally come in knowing how to play the best defense in the nation and give consistent high-level effort on D for 40 minutes? Almost every single one of those players comes from the AAU world where defense is virtually non-existent. Demanding effort should be much, much easier than teaching someone a drop step, improving their shooting form, etc.

That is simply not the true. Very few players enter college with the work ethic needed to play hard for 40 minutes, particularly on defense. They have never had to. The one thing I admire about K is that he is able to get 5* recruits to play hard all the time...harder than they ever had to play in high school or AAU.

Effort is not a skill. It's a virtue, a virtue which can be developed.

Do not agree with this. You think UVA's players just naturally come in knowing how to play the best defense in the nation and give consistent high-level effort on D for 40 minutes? Almost every single one of those players comes from the AAU world where defense is virtually non-existent. Demanding effort should be much, much easier than teaching someone a drop step, improving their shooting form, etc.

Defense is not about effort any more than offense. Bennett prioritizes defense and recruits kids who fit his system. This board seems to think that college athletes have an infinite store of energy, effort, and willpower that some simply refuse to tap into or that coaches refuse to demand from them. Logic and now science suggest that is not the case.

That is simply not the true. Very few players enter college with the work ethic needed to play hard for 40 minutes, particularly on defense. They have never had to. The one thing I admire about K is that he is able to get 5* recruits to play hard all the time...harder than they ever had to play in high school or AAU.

Effort is not a skill. It's a virtue, a virtue which can be developed.

Skills can’t be developed? And making your perception of a player’s effort into a judgment of their virtue isn’t a good look. I always say that’s what college sports needs more of: old white men caling mostly minority teenagers immoral because they look like they aren’t trying very hard.

Last edited:

In their 5th years, they both signed 1 year contracts for the minimum.

I expected Johnson to struggle

0.5/10

Back