• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

So Wrangor, you have to take a position: Will Wes Miller reach 750 career wins? (yes or no)

Division I ? No. Even with his head start on most coaches I don’t think he gets to 750. He can be an excellent coach and not get to 750 though and I fully expect him to be a great coach.

In 2009, Miller was a first year assistant coach for Ernie Nestor in the last year of his career and only 2 years removed from playing in college. Miller is a fine coach, but if dr was advocating for him to be the wake head coach in 2009, he was rightfully laughed at. If his position was that Miller should be the Wake coach one day, more power to him for spotting some coaching talent.

Honestly, if Wake wanted to take a flyer on Miller at this point, why not. He could be the coach of the future and could be the start of something great. But hiring Miller instead of [name redacted] in 2009/10 would have been a disaster. Miler would have been over his head. It was just too early. When Manning was hired, the program needed a recruiter first and foremost to get players in the program. That's not Miller's MO (and I think he's mismanaged some of his recruiting/player management as shown by some early player attrition though he's seemed to have ironed that out). At this point, the recruiting profile has been raised. Miller may be the right move in the next 3 years if Manning doesn't get it done. We could do worse. Now, I do think we're at the spot where we could take a flyer on a young coach with limited risk and high potential reward.

This.

And I am going to be officially done restating this lest I begin to become an equal and opposite DR.

Good post to end it on. Go Deacs.

This.

And I am going to be officially done restating this lest I begin to become an equal and opposite DR.

Good post to end it on. Go Deacs.

There will be no post to end it on. My prophesy turned out to be correct for the same reason then as it is now: inside information. Wes eats sleeps and breathes basketball. And he’s not stopping—ever. Anyone who has been paying attention at Wake since the mid 90s knows this. I don’t mean RJKarl paying attention. I mean actually there and interacting with people (unlike Wellman who doesn’t speak to other humans)

Glad we got you to commit Wrangor. Under 750 wins for Wes. I’ll take over.

Cliff Ellis, with 4 more wins will be the 17th coach to accomplish this. Does Wes have another 600+ in him?

DR was called out for his blatant lying about #WES last year, said he would change, but yet now is straight back to the lying.

I'm sure he's honest as Abe and not at all corrupt in his day job

Still waiting for the pivot.

It's odd that DR criticizes the admin for their decisions and how they reach them, yet if he were the AD he would have made a total cronyism hire and given our prestigious ACC job to an assistant at fucking High Point.

The guy that ruthlessly wants to win also wants to give the biggest athletic job at the school to a guy because he's his friend. This is different from Wellman and [name redacted] how?

It's odd that DR criticizes the admin for their decisions and how they reach them, yet if he were the AD he would have made a total cronyism hire and given our prestigious ACC job to an assistant at fucking High Point.

The guy that ruthlessly wants to win also wants to give the biggest athletic job at the school to a guy because he's his friend. This is different from Wellman and [name redacted] how?

Well said. Very well said.

Miller and I are hardly friends. It’s not like we’re out playing Sedgefield a couple times a month. All Wes wants to do is basketball 24/7. My preference for him as our basketball coach comes from watching him—not friendship or cronyism. My disdain for Wellman is likewise based on years of personal observation. He does not work hard, is aloof, and has blinders on to the rest of the world. He is exactly who you do not want in the leader of an athletic program.

Theo Epstein was hardly qualified to be the Red Sox GM at 28. But Larry Luchinno had watched him closely and had the courage to make the correct decision.

There will be no post to end it on. My prophesy turned out to be correct for the same reason then as it is now: inside information. Wes eats sleeps and breathes basketball. And he’s not stopping—ever. Anyone who has been paying attention at Wake since the mid 90s knows this. I don’t mean RJKarl paying attention. I mean actually there and interacting with people (unlike Wellman who doesn’t speak to other humans)

Glad we got you to commit Wrangor. Under 750 wins for Wes. I’ll take over.

See you guys in 40 years on the futuristic OGB to see who made the right call!

Point Taken. I guess my phrasing needs work, because obviously bz was a disaster anyway.

Should have read "at the time wf hired bz," not "instead of."

I understood what you meant. What occurred to me when I read that sentence was that it was the same as saying “being a passenger on the Titanic would have been a disaster instead of being on the Lusitania.”

Miller and I are hardly friends. It’s not like we’re out playing Sedgefield a couple times a month. All Wes wants to do is basketball 24/7. My preference for him as our basketball coach comes from watching him—not friendship or cronyism. My disdain for Wellman is likewise based on years of personal observation. He does not work hard, is aloof, and has blinders on to the rest of the world. He is exactly who you do not want in the leader of an athletic program.

Theo Epstein was hardly qualified to be the Red Sox GM at 28. But Larry Luchinno had watched him closely and had the courage to make the correct decision.

Yeah, Miller probably plays Sedgefield with people who don't regulary shoot in the 90s. #losing

So in 2009, after 2? years watching him as a head coach, you think he should have been hired to rebuild the wake forest basketball brand?

Did you actually attend his games during those two years. Do you remember the direct characteristics that Wes showed that would prove to ANYONE but YOU that would lead them to believe that against all other experts(other schools ADs), this guy was ready at age 28 to rebuild basketball programs?

To me it sounds like you had a hunch, and 10 years later are bragging about being right. Still doesnt prove that wes is ready for the job. If he can consistently WIN the SOCON than maybe he should be under consideration. But don't brag about "inside information." when its a load of shit to begin with.

Wes was not a head Coach in 2009. But, yes, of course before forming my opinion I watched him Coach at games and in camps for years. I also interacted with him throughout his Junior days bouncing around the Joel and during his time with the Tarheels. His fellow players--much like when Josh Pastner was at Arizona--predicted from the beginning that he would be a great Coach based on his actions and attributes during his playing days. I also read his book about his playing days.

Ron Wellman gets paid a lot of money to be in charge of our athletic department. He should have been doing all of those things too.

Wes Miller UNDER 750 wins.

He'll be at about 110 after this year. He'll need about 640 more wins. That would be over 21 wins/season for 30 more years.

Nah!

Back