• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

So in 2009, after 2? years watching him as a head coach, you think he should have been hired to rebuild the wake forest basketball brand?

Ignoring the fact that Wes would have been a silly hire at the time, what about the Wake Forest basketball brand needed rebuilding in 2009? Surely you're not still buying that load of BS from Wellman, right?

Wes was not a head Coach in 2009. But, yes, of course before forming my opinion I watched him Coach at games and in camps for years. I also interacted with him throughout his Junior days bouncing around the Joel and during his time with the Tarheels. His fellow players--much like when Josh Pastner was at Arizona--predicted from the beginning that he would be a great Coach based on his actions and attributes during his playing days. I also read his book about his playing days.

Ron Wellman gets paid a lot of money to be in charge of our athletic department. He should have been doing all of those things too.

Yeah, problem is that Josh Pastner isn't a good coach, which I thought was pretty widely recognized at this point. He did well at Memphis, but that program was a man among boys for his first four seasons (see a few pages ago for an extensive and enlightening conversation...). They even played in a NBA arena. Things fizzled pretty quickly as they went into a stronger conference, where they still probably had more resources than most of the competition.

Theo Epstein was hardly qualified to be the Red Sox GM at 28. But Larry Luchinno had watched him closely and had the courage to make the correct decision.

I mean, he had been director of player development for an MLB team at least.

I'm willing to hire a Wes Miller now if he is indeed the right one for the job, now that he has semi proven himself as an HC. But not then. Stop being dumb. Unless you've scouted every coach in the country at camps for years and seen them bounce around arenas, that is some flimsy-ass reasoning to give someone you already knew an ACC job.

I was the first one on this board to say Clawson would be our next HC. Should I never shut up about that? I certainly have more reasons to crow than DR does

Wes was not a head Coach in 2009. But, yes, of course before forming my opinion I watched him Coach at games and in camps for years. I also interacted with him throughout his Junior days bouncing around the Joel and during his time with the Tarheels. His fellow players--much like when Josh Pastner was at Arizona--predicted from the beginning that he would be a great Coach based on his actions and attributes during his playing days. I also read his book about his playing days.

Ron Wellman gets paid a lot of money to be in charge of our athletic department. He should have been doing all of those things too.

I wonder how many people have read Wes' book about his playing days

I've never met Wes and perhaps this isn't fair, but that would be pretty far down my reading list

I wonder how many people have read Wes' book about his playing days

I've never met Wes and perhaps this isn't fair, but that would be pretty far down my reading list

"How I scored 4 points a game" isn't mandatory reading for you?

That team choked hardcore against Georgetown. Was so much fun to watch.

Much like Wes' teams in the SoCon tourney to date

I mean, he had been director of player development for an MLB team at least.

I'm willing to hire a Wes Miller now if he is indeed the right one for the job, now that he has semi proven himself as an HC. But not then. Stop being dumb. Unless you've scouted every coach in the country at camps for years and seen them bounce around arenas, that is some flimsy-ass reasoning to give someone you already knew an ACC job.

I was the first one on this board to say Clawson would be our next HC. Should I never shut up about that? I certainly have more reasons to crow than DR does

Hilarious that DR compared one guy he knows to another guy he knows.

I would hope we can hire a guy who has had more than one good season.

Hilarious that DR compared one guy he knows to another guy he knows.

I would hope we can hire a guy who has had more than one good season.

You mean, like Manning? I agree. Wes took over a team that was whipped and rallied for a Division Championship. Last year he wins the regular season. This year he has them 20-6 (11-2 in the league). That's a lot more than one good season.

Kelsey has also had multiple good seasons. WF hoops is not in a good place. One of those two would actually take the job (if offered really soon) and would get us heading in the right direction again and may well prove to be the answer.

Pat Kelsey to Wake would have some interesting dynamics.

How would Pat feel about coming back and coaching the very team his mentor, Skip Prosser was coaching when Skip had his heart attack and died? I believe that Pat took some time away from coaching after that.

Would he just flat out refuse, not wanting to be back in the place where his mentor died?

Would he come to Wake and work extremely hard to make his mentor proud and "finish" the vow of Skip "We're going to be good again."

Or, would he get to Wake, thinking he was going to bring Wake back to where Skip had Wake in his best days and find the emotions too overwhelming to really get it done?

As an added note, this past fall Pat Kelsey signed a five year extension through 2022 with Winthrop.
He had the messy acceptance then rejection of the UMass coaching job last spring. I don't think he would leave Winthrop very soon after that escapade.

That's two good seasons. Maybe.

But it's really tough in the SoCon Ph, going up against the puny little private schools and military colleges that comprise over half the conference.

Not to mention a school in rollicking Cullowhee

Just checked Winthrop's record this year.
They lost to Liberty, TWICE!!!

Am I the only one who thinks its hysterical that DR is touting regular season division championships for UNCG given his opinion on Wake's 2002 regular season ACC championship?

Giving up the boards for Lent. Especially to get away from this thread. My convictions about Manning are strong but sorry I can be a haughty jerk about it sometimes.

Be well. #GoDeacs

Am I the only one who thinks its hysterical that DR is touting regular season division championships for UNCG given his opinion on Wake's 2002 regular season ACC championship?

I think it's hilarious he regularly attends a basketball team's home games in Greensboro Coliseum.

What opinion is that? You mean the opinion I had before the ACC chaneged the bylaws? The 2003 ACC regular season championship is now considered a championship. And it was impressive.

Just like my opinion on Elrod changed the minute the other side admitted it. Until then, there was 0 evidence other than Ron's self-serving press release--from the same guy who told us Grobe quit, Odom just voluntarily took the SC job, & Gaudio was fired for lack of March success.

I think it's hilarious he regularly attends a basketball team's home games in Greensboro Coliseum.

It's a bad decision for UNCG to play some of their home games there. And I've told them that.

Ya'll are obsessed. As I've said, I get it. My views bother you--because they're right.

Back