• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Boeheim - 72 - Oldest coach in Division 1
K - 70
Hamilton - 69
Larranaga - 68
Roy - 67

Changes are a-comin'!

We already got rid of Rick da Ruler... Who is next?

I have no real insight, but wouldn't surprise me to see K out there until ~75.

He's totally overpaid. He's in a dumb contract that sucks for Portland. He won't get anywhere near that again because he is a flawed player. Mark it down, he'll be on $3mil 1 year contracts from here out.

He's averaging near double figures for a playoff contender. He's even shooting near 40% from deep. Contracts keep getting bigger and he's only 27. He'll get another good sized contract.

The game, to me, seems to be trending towards "rollin' the ball out and seeing what happens". Now having said that, I fully believe sub patters and timeout usage are always going to be important, and that is a big aspect of coaching so there's that.

I just feel like the game is trending towards AAU+/NBA lite, and ultimately a coach will be a mere figurehead. The coach needs to be competent, correctly use timeouts and utilize the right lineups, but I'm seeing less and less coaching.

That's just my opinion and why I initially prefaced it with it being an unpopular one.

I don't even know what that means. The NBA is heavily coached. Every team has a ridiculous amount of talent. Most are very well coached. What separates the best teams from the worst teams are a GM who can bring in the right mix of talent, a coaching staff who can best utilize the talent, and a total staff who can develop young players.

AAU+/NBA lite suggests that the best players in HS can just show up in the NBA and dominate after stopping over in college for a year. That's simply not true.

Karl Anthony Towns was a top HS prospect, made the Final Four in his one year of college, was the #1 pick, and won NBA ROY. He finally made his first All-Star team this year in his 3rd season. There are only a handful of players from the last 5 draft classes to be All-Stars and Giannis is the only one for whom this isn't his first All-Star game.

He's averaging near double figures for a playoff contender. He's even shooting near 40% from deep. Contracts keep getting bigger and he's only 27. He'll get another good sized contract.

I don't even know what that means. The NBA is heavily coached. Every team has a ridiculous amount of talent. Most are very well coached. What separates the best teams from the worst teams are a GM who can bring in the right mix of talent, a coaching staff who can best utilize the talent, and a total staff who can develop young players.

AAU+/NBA lite suggests that the best players in HS can just show up in the NBA and dominate after stopping over in college for a year. That's simply not true.

Karl Anthony Towns was a top HS prospect, made the Final Four in his one year of college, was the #1 pick, and won NBA ROY. He finally made his first All-Star team this year in his 3rd season. There are only a handful of players from the last 5 draft classes to be All-Stars and Giannis is the only one for whom this isn't his first All-Star game.

Ehh, the best team in the league had their coach hand over the clipboard and let the players coach for a game because he hadn't been able to reach them in a month. And he was praised as a genius for it!

Teague posterized the Maryland player right before the ACCT during 2009, his sophomore year. We lost to Maryland in the first round of the ACCT, lost to CS, and Teague was gone. Ish couldn’t shoot. Period. I always thought Prosser should have gotten Ish to work with a shooting coach.

Wednesday night against Atlanta Ish had 22 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 turnover.
And he's making $6 million a year.
He's done pretty well for himself.

Wednesday night against Atlanta Ish had 22 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 turnover.

yes, but does he own any hotels that he hasn't visited?

Wonderful. I’m happy for him. But that doesn’t change the fact that he couldn’t throw it in the ocean while he was at WFU, and the staff failed miserably in helping him change his shooting technique. He is a much better shooter now, but the strengths of his game have always been his speed, vision, ball handling and passing. Do you remember the packed in zone Maryland used against us in the ACCT in Atlanta? They were begging Ish to shoot. LD too. And they fell for it.

K is about 4 years from his last feeding. He will be good to go for 4 or 5 more years after that.

Boeheim - 72 - Oldest coach in Division 1
K - 70
Hamilton - 69
Larranaga - 68
Roy - 67

Changes are a-comin'!.

This is why getting our coaching situation right, and soon, is so important. There's going to be a void to fill, and right now, we're not really poised to compete to fill it.

But according to a poster, Ish wasn't even good enough to play in the ACC.

The more troubling piece to me is Strick and LD. Everyone knows and the stories are legend regarding Prosser's life coaching skills. So why have Strick and LD spent a decade on the basketball fringes and not out working a better paying corporate job? Or coaching? Is it not fair to put that on a Coach? And a player has to figure out that their college senior year is going to be their peek (or soph year in Strick's case). Not sure. Regardless, both guys had the personality to move quickly and efficiently into a sales type of job and earn more than the $40,000 year they are likely earning in the G league

Stick was selling drugs on campus. Don't think that had to do with Prosser's coaching skills.

I like the hot take on this thread that Aminu is going to get 3m / 1 yr deals from here on out. I’ll take the over for however much you want to wager that his next contract is for well more than 3m/year. My guess is it is more like 10m / year but I am completely certain that it will be more than 3m and unless he just chooses to take a one year deal because of the bargaining agreement or some tactical maneuver he will easily get a multi year deal.

Back