• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

this.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but coaching is going to become less and less important as the game continues to evolve. Recruiting will be 90% of the college game with player development being the other 10%.

Not sure I agree with this. There are plenty of teams out there with talent that don't win as many games as they should. Kentucky and USC come to mind. A good coach who can recruit good basketball players - not just athletes, but kids with skills who know the game - can compete in the top conferences. Look at UVa. That model can continue to be successful, IMO.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but coaching is going to become less and less important as the game continues to evolve. Recruiting will be 90% of the college game with player development being the other 10%.

Will it? Really? If anything, college basketball is no longer as top heavy as it used to be. Are you assuming that's because there are just tons and tons of good players to go around?

Dude. I'm okay with bile. But your lack of ambitious parsing of language prevents your small little mind from understanding I'M NOT ARGUING THAT. There, how's that for reciprocative bile?

Bagley should have gone to Duke. Or Kentucky. Good for him. And good for Duke to figure out they could get him through high school a year early. Great job. But. If you are Tevon Duval or Marquis Bolden, you may be fucked. You are going to be recruited over and no Duke recruit who has underachieved and been recruited over and then transferred has made the NBA.

Maybe I was overly mean, sorry! Still seems pretty defensive, but I guess I would be too if everyone was (rightly) calling me out for being weird.

Winning just seems to me the obvious reason they're going there. The "marketing" angle may have some substance though when a guy like Giles rarely touches the floor but still winds up a top 20 pick. Injuries played a role there, of course, but at least at Duke you have the excuse that other talented players (and Coach K's limited rotations) kept you off the floor, as opposed to actually not being as good as hyped (which would be more exposed other places)

The more troubling piece to me is Strick and LD. Everyone knows and the stories are legend regarding Prosser's life coaching skills. So why have Strick and LD spent a decade on the basketball fringes and not out working a better paying corporate job? Or coaching? Is it not fair to put that on a Coach? And a player has to figure out that their college senior year is going to be their peek (or soph year in Strick's case). Not sure. Regardless, both guys had the personality to move quickly and efficiently into a sales type of job and earn more than the $40,000 year they are likely earning in the G league

There is nothing wrong with taking less money and jumping on an opportunity to live over seas, travel a lot and play a sport you love when you're young and have few responsibilities. No student loans, no or few significant expenses; sounds like a lot of fun. I regret not doing more of that before I had kids.

Maybe I was overly mean, sorry! Still seems pretty defensive, but I guess I would be too if everyone was (rightly) calling me out for being weird.

Winning just seems to me the obvious reason they're going there. The "marketing" angle may have some substance though when a guy like Giles rarely touches the floor but still winds up a top 20 pick. Injuries played a role there, of course, but at least at Duke you have the excuse that other talented players (and Coach K's limited rotations) kept you off the floor, as opposed to actually not being as good as hyped (which would be more exposed other places)

You're still not getting it. I'm concerned with getting the #11 - #90 players who will require some development to make the NBA. I'm not concerned with #1 - #10. They absolutely should go to the basketball factory due jour. Kentucky and Duke today. Maybe Kentucky and Syracuse tomorrow, not sure. It won't matter because they are only going for a year possibly two anyway.

Ignore because you didn't know Skip and made up an inane supposition without any basis in knowledge, but be that way. Morph into Reff, that would work.

There is nothing wrong with taking less money and jumping on an opportunity to live over seas, travel a lot and play a sport you love when you're young and have few responsibilities. No student loans, no or few significant expenses; sounds like a lot of fun. I regret not doing more of that before I had kids.

If either guy did that, I would agree with you. But they didn't. They both did the G league (or lower) tour for 5 years thinking this was their ticket to the NBA. At last look, neither earned even a 10-day contract in the NBA so they both would have been better suited to go to Spain or Turkey or Russia or Italy or France or Switzerland or Finland or Belgium to earn better money, sleep with Euro chicks, and enjoy other Euro experiences like culture and food.

If I ever thought I had a chance at playing in the NBA, no matter how remote, you'd have to pry the G league basketball out of my cold, dead hands.

Ignore because you didn't know Skip and made up an inane supposition without any basis in knowledge, but be that way. Morph into Reff, that would work.

I am just done with your absolutes. I actually had a very nice intense conversation with Skip once. What did we talk about? Peter O'Toole of course. Which included a funny rif on Lawrence of Arabia and morphed into aging and dying. I am going to guess this is more time than you spent with him, but I could be wrong. Which is why I didn't use an absolute (e.g., I KNEW Skip BETTER than YOU!).

If I ever thought I had a chance at playing in the NBA, no matter how remote, you'd have to pry the G league basketball out of my cold, dead hands.

Really? I guess my affinity for an abundance and variety of pussy at that age would have totally superseded my desire to play in MSG even if it meant sitting on the bench on a 10-day contract. Italy at 22? While getting paid to play basketball? What could be better? Finland maybe. Sweden for sure. France okay you got me. Hell, Russia yes baby.

I am just done with your absolutes. I actually had a very nice intense conversation with Skip once. What did we talk about? Peter O'Toole of course. Which included a funny rif on Lawrence of Arabia and morphed into aging and dying. I am going to guess this is more time than you spent with him, but I could be wrong. Which is why I didn't use an absolute (e.g., I KNEW Skip BETTER than YOU!).

So everything I say is an absolute, but you making inane suppositions isn't. and you would be wrong.

Not sure I agree with this. There are plenty of teams out there with talent that don't win as many games as they should. Kentucky and USC come to mind. A good coach who can recruit good basketball players - not just athletes, but kids with skills who know the game - can compete in the top conferences. Look at UVa. That model can continue to be successful, IMO.

The game, to me, seems to be trending towards "rollin' the ball out and seeing what happens". Now having said that, I fully believe sub patters and timeout usage are always going to be important, and that is a big aspect of coaching so there's that.

Will it? Really? If anything, college basketball is no longer as top heavy as it used to be. Are you assuming that's because there are just tons and tons of good players to go around?

I just feel like the game is trending towards AAU+/NBA lite, and ultimately a coach will be a mere figurehead. The coach needs to be competent, correctly use timeouts and utilize the right lineups, but I'm seeing less and less coaching.

That's just my opinion and why I initially prefaced it with it being an unpopular one.

If you did this, you'd be a fool and your coach would have fucked you.

Geez, I thought you'd know that.

this.

UVA says hello.

Maybe I'm seeing less and less coaching because I've been to a lot of Wake games this year tho...so there's also that... :rimshot:

BTW, LD did play parts of seasons in the Philippines and Belgium.

Back