• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Constantly having a higher Kenpom rating than our record is starting to be an indictment of our coaching. Looking poorly coached and undisciplined and constantly losing games that are winnable is not a good luck

KenPom rating is a silly thing to use. Why not use Lunardi or Sagarin?

Find a link then. Most of the people down on this team didn’t think Codi was that good in the first place.

Well, there's a "When will Wake make the tourney next" and a few other prediction/shit on the team threads from the end of the season before we made the tourney.

PhDeac "You just don't go from 2-16 in the ACC to playing at this level in a year or two." So there's that.

50% said 2019 or beyond. 4 people got it right and said the next year. Dozens of quotes from that thread are around after year 2:

"middle of the pack is our absolute ceiling."

"we have a 1% chance"

"best we could imagine is middle of the pack and everything would have to go perfectly for that to happen"

"we'll be bottom 4 again"

Ayo's on their repeatedly mocking the shit out of anyone who suggested we might even be decent in the next few years without a top 5 class.

Kids are yelling at me so I'm done hunting, it's not hard. Posters didn't love Codi but they did love Devin, or at least his numbers. The are tons of "we're still going to suck you're an idiot if you think otherwise" posts to choose from, including your own.

We finished 10th last year in the ACC. Still waiting for that middle of the pack finish

DC, could you provide a link? What level was I talking about?

By having Dinos, fewer people have to play out of position. Doral even gets more space as would Craw. Doral would likely get more boards as he wouldn't doubled and tripled when shots went up. It's not just about what Dinos could do himself. You have to look at how his presence would impact the rest of the team.

Having to do less and focus more on one theme would likely have made Chaundee better as well. Playing with Dinos would have freed Sarr up as well. Sarr's athleticism could have been used more effectively.

As to the comment that we all think Danny is shitty coach, that isn't true. No one is saying he's a world-beater, but he isn't shitty.

Manning could improve considerably and still be shitty. He is currently quite a bit worse than shitty.

Well, there's a "When will Wake make the tourney next" and a few other prediction/shit on the team threads from the end of the season before we made the tourney.

PhDeac "You just don't go from 2-16 in the ACC to playing at this level in a year or two." So there's that.

50% said 2019 or beyond. 4 people got it right and said the next year. Dozens of quotes from that thread are around after year 2:

"middle of the pack is our absolute ceiling."

"we have a 1% chance"

"best we could imagine is middle of the pack and everything would have to go perfectly for that to happen"

"we'll be bottom 4 again"

Ayo's on their repeatedly mocking the shit out of anyone who suggested we might even be decent in the next few years without a top 5 class.

Kids are yelling at me so I'm done hunting, it's not hard. Posters didn't love Codi but they did love Devin, or at least his numbers. The are tons of "we're still going to suck you're an idiot if you think otherwise" posts to choose from, including your own.

Manning hid Collins on the bench. No would knew he would be the most efficient offensive player in the country by a long shot. Had Manning done what most sensible coaches would have done and played their future pro freshman, posters would have known that Thomas would not have been missed.

Still, a lot of crowing about missing the round of 64 and not even pretending to play defense.

The idea that recruits are going to cover Manning's lack of coaching ability is laughable. I have never seen a coach that was incompetent with lesser talent but suddenly became competent when the better talent arrived.

It usually works the other way around. Good coaching attracts good players and the whole thing feeds upon itself.

Hoping for bad coaching to suffice is LOWF.

The idea that recruits are going to cover Manning's lack of coaching ability is laughable. I have never seen a coach that was incompetent with lesser talent but suddenly became competent when the better talent arrived.

It usually works the other way around. Good coaching attracts good players and the whole thing feeds upon itself.

Hoping for bad coaching to suffice is LOWF.

This. I've yet to understand how this all gets magically turned around in less than nine months.

This. I've yet to understand how this all gets magically turned around in less than nine months.

If I understand the theory:

Wake was one player (Dinos) away from the post season this year. Losing Dinos forced Danny Manning to play as many guards as was humanly possible. Hoard will be like a really talented Dinos so that problem will be fixed. Also TT and Wilbekin are so bad that it will be addition by subtraction. Lastly, we have an incoming point guard with tall genes that could grow to be 6-10. If that happens, his floor is a more athletic Magic Johnson.

Good coaching attracts good players and the whole thing feeds upon itself.

Agreed. Manning's recruiting has been awful. We need a coach who can get good players into Wake.

:plos:

Last year we finished 10th and did not have a winning record in the ACC. We survived a horrific BC team in the ACC Tournament only to get dumped by Virginia Tech (our 8th straight non appearance in the ACC quarters). Then we road in to the NCAA play in game on the weakest bubble ever only to get man handled by a bad Kansas State team. All of this achievement happened with two players who then left early to make a ton of money playing pro ball.

Sorry, DCDeac, but I disagree that we had a good season last year. We improved greatly. But not acceptable.

What's not to get? It's pretty well documented that the 16th season, 7th as head, is when college coaches make the talent jump.

What's not to get? It's pretty well documented that the 16th season, 7th as head, is when college coaches make the talent jump.

I stand corrected. I'm being impatient I guess. Perhaps before we're all dead. Does that work?

Back