• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

If carrying water for Manning means tourney or out next year then yeah, I guess that's me. How insane.

Carrying water for Bz apparently means being against the hire, being on the fence until the Codi/Devin class had chance, and never changing the opinion that if a coach can't make the tournament in 4 years they should be fired. The billboard was an embarrassment but I'm sure you're proud of the fanbase for that one. Keep painting me as some massive Bz supporter if it saves you from having to actually defend your positions though. Next best thing to personal insults I guess.

Yeah it seems like a trend for the fan base to label anyone who defends any of Manning’s decisions or aspects of his coaching as carrying water, working for the AD, or something else just as pleasant. I don’t think any of the “Manning supporters” (say that VERY lightly) have said to give him any more than just next year if he doesn’t succeed. People shitting on my non-sky-is-falling point of view even convinced Wrangor I’m some huge Manning fan. I am not.

The people who like to call us a "tournament team" last year fail to mention just how bad that Kansas State game went. It was embarrassing.

We got there when no one in the nation said we would before the season started nor did many until February. We greatly overachieved last year. That's what the Danny haters never say,

Haven't read much on this thread since know it's probably going to make me feel confused and dumber than before reading it.

Has anyone mentioned that maybe Danny needs to get some new assistants? He can clearly coach big men but our biggest issues (outside of any argument around in game coaching) are defense and guards making good decisions. I'd assume one of the assistants focuses on the guards and clearly we need someone to focus on defense.

We got there when no one in the nation said we would before the season started nor did many until February. We greatly overachieved last year. That's what the Danny haters never say,

If greatly overachieving in year three is getting blown out in Dayton, then your program is dog shit

Last edited:
I always considered haters people who pick apart coaches that objectively won.

We are on track to lose 20 games in year 4 and our still searching for our 20th ACC win during that time. What's not to hate?

Haven't read much on this thread since know it's probably going to make me feel confused and dumber than before reading it.

Has anyone mentioned that maybe Danny needs to get some new assistants? He can clearly coach big men but our biggest issues (outside of any argument around in game coaching) are defense and guards making good decisions. I'd assume one of the assistants focuses on the guards and clearly we need someone to focus on defense.

It's been mentioned. But then that would mean Manning has to fire his college teammate and long time friend and one of the greatest players in Wake Forest history along with the latest hire who may be a stud recruiter.

We are on track to lose 20 games in year 4 and our still searching for our 20th ACC win during that time. What's not to hate?

This team has underachieved. Realistically, we should have been about .500. At 13-20, we would end up about 3-4 games below where we should have figured to end up. That's not good. But it's not as bad as many here think.

It does put Danny clearly on the hot seat for next year. No Dance, no job in 19-20. It's pretty simple.

Yeah it seems like a trend for the fan base to label anyone who defends any of Manning’s decisions or aspects of his coaching as carrying water, working for the AD, or something else just as pleasant. I don’t think any of the “Manning supporters” (say that VERY lightly) have said to give him any more than just next year if he doesn’t succeed. People shitting on my non-sky-is-falling point of view even convinced Wrangor I’m some huge Manning fan. I am not.

That's because we've been there, done that. Those that remained [Redacted] wait-and-see were the same way...they supposedly had lines in the sand, but those were excused away. Manning's Y4 was the year for the longest time, and yet somehow being "ahead of schedule" in Y3, rather than raising expectations for success in Y4, has been made into an excuse, kicking the can down the road to Y5. When Y5 doesn't go as well as hoped, there will inevitably be an excuse to kick the can to year 6...injury, feelings, super phandom, tea leaves. Meanwhile, the program continues to suffer, another group of graduating alumni are potentially lost forever, and more and more long time supporters just stop giving a damn. The number of folks I graduated with around 2000 that once posted or lurked around here has shrunken to almost none...they just don't care anymore. It's unlikely they are coming back. Life has moved on. Their kids aren't going to grow up as Wake fans. But, by all means, let's keep holding out hope that men being paid millions of dollars a year are going to learn how to be coaches on the job.

This team has underachieved. Realistically, we should have been about .500. At 13-20, we would end up about 3-4 games below where we should have figured to end up. That's not good. But it's not as bad as many here think.

It does put Danny clearly on the hot seat for next year. No Dance, no job in 19-20. It's pretty simple.

We lost to Drake Liberty and Georgia Southern. So are you suggesting that 4 ACC wins is the most DM could have been expected to get out of this team?

This is yet another screwup by Wellman. He forced Childress onto [Redacted]'s staff to act as a human shield, and now we have an impossible situation where a Wake legend is on staff and can't be replaced if/when needed.

"Dino is gone and I am OK with it. Would have been absolutely fine with it if we would have hired a coach that the fanbase could get behind." -ChrisL68

You hate everything. You were ok with firing Dino then later changed your story. Suddenly Dino became amazing and shouldn't have been fired at all. You wanted Bz fired for someone who could recruit. Manning drastically improves recruiting but no credit is given. You wanted a coach to make the tournament in his first 4 years until Manning did it. You're the kind of "fan" who will be miserable about everything until we make a final four. You're the fan that calls out our offensive coordinator after App State this year right before Wolford and company set all kind of offensive records on route to a fantastic season.

Enjoy being that kind of fan. I'm extremely content to never be that.

That's because we've been there, done that. Those that remained [Redacted] wait-and-see were the same way...they supposedly had lines in the sand, but those were excused away. Manning's Y4 was the year for the longest time, and yet somehow being "ahead of schedule" in Y3, rather than raising expectations for success in Y4, has been made into an excuse, kicking the can down the road to Y5. When Y5 doesn't go as well as hoped, there will inevitably be an excuse to kick the can to year 6...injury, feelings, super phandom, tea leaves. Meanwhile, the program continues to suffer, another group of graduating alumni are potentially lost forever, and more and more long time supporters just stop giving a damn. The number of folks I graduated with around 2000 that once posted or lurked around here has shrunken to almost none...they just don't care anymore. It's unlikely they are coming back. Life has moved on. Their kids aren't going to grow up as Wake fans. But, by all means, let's keep holding out hope that men being paid millions of dollars a year are going to learn how to be coaches on the job.

I agree with this, as I hated Bz from day one - though I wasn’t posting here yet. I stayed at the beginning of year 3 that year five would be the year we’d know all we need to know. Other said “tournament by year 4” and we achieved that, though obviously unfortunate things have happened since. I can’t speak for everyone else, but to me there will be no reasoning/excuses for next year if we don’t succeed. That’s it. Done, fired. If he does well and we end up returning most of our guys, awesome - that’s what I’m expecting to happen and hoping happens. If not, we will have a decent talent base to pass on the the next coach if he can convince the guys to stay.

To be fair, there were a ton of fans, including me, calling out Ruggiero for offensive ineptitude early this season. The turnaround was remarkable and awesome to watch.

To be fair, there were a ton of fans, including me, calling out Ruggiero for offensive ineptitude early this season. The turnaround was remarkable and awesome to watch.

Thankfully, the staff also realized there were problems and turned things around. They weren't content. We shouldn't be either.

We lost to Drake Liberty and Georgia Southern. So are you suggesting that 4 ACC wins is the most DM could have been expected to get out of this team?

We had 12 OOCgames - 10-2
We have 18 ACC games- 6-12
ACCT 0-1
______
16-15
We can end up at 12-19 or 13-18. Change 3-4 games.

Over the summer I posted that I wasn't going to be sold on Danny's reputation as a big man coach until I saw what he could do with SJM and Doral. My doubts have not been resolved in his favor by this season. If his recruiting success is predicated on that reputation, it won't take much to put in the ManningOut column next year. Sarr and Mitchell show potential but that is not the same thing as results.

Moore is way better this year than he was last year. Who knows what happened with SJM, but I'm not putting that on Manning as there may have been other factors involved. I'd withhold judgment on his work with Sarr until next year.

Exactly...and it didn't take 5 years.

Moore is way better this year than he was last year. Who knows what happened with SJM, but I'm not putting that on Manning as there may have been other factors involved. I'd withhold judgment on his work with Sarr until next year.

SJM clearly didn’t buy into the program. He’s the only big in our program that hasn’t made significant improvements with Ryan Horn in terms of fat loss/muscle gain that has been here for more than a year.

Sarr definitely improved during this season. At times, recently, he's looked a little gassed. Given that he was in international play until just a few days before arriving on campus, it would be logical that he would be physically and mentally fatigued.

He has shown flashes of things very few seven footers can do. Time to relax and recharge should help him a lot.

Back