• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Most of what RJ told me in a PM regarding Shaka/Stevens is spot on to what I was told also. FTR - my scoop on this has no way of being verified either though. They were not in the room.

He probably does have an inside line on this one.

The idea that Wellman had Stephens and then Smart locked up to Wake and then somehow botched the hire, which led to their taking better jobs making twice as much money the following year, is on its face a ridiculous assertion.

incredulous.gif

“Ish Smith isn’t an ACC caliber PG”

“Why the fuck is Teague standing in the corner sulking”

“Justin Gray can’t play PG”

“Robert O’Kelley years 2-4”

Most of what RJ told me in a PM regarding Shaka/Stevens is spot on to what I was told also. FTR - my scoop on this has no way of being verified either though. They were not in the room.

lol

Let's look at Dino's worst team versus Danny's best:

PG- Ish Craw
SG- Teague Wilbekin
C- Chas Dino
PF- JJ John Collins
SF- LD Arian

Ish is superior to Craw
Comparing JT to Wilbekin is an absolute joke
JJ vs. JC - JC had a better year but is was really close
Chas vs. Dinos - fairly equal
LD vs. Arians - Completely different players but pretty equal at their speciaties

Dino's bench was far superior with Hale, Skeen, Clark and Weaver over Frosh BC, Doral and Chil

Dino didn't even make The Dance with his squad.

Last edited:
The idea that Wellman had Stephens and then Smart locked up to Wake and then somehow botched the hire, which led to their taking better jobs making twice as much money the following year, is on its face a ridiculous assertion.

i-want-to-believe.jpg

“Ish Smith isn’t an ACC caliber PG”

“Why the fuck is Teague standing in the corner sulking”

“Justin Gray can’t play PG”

“Robert O’Kelley years 2-4”

You basically said it's a good thing we don't have more than two guards who are good enough to see the floor next year.

Your source probably read RJ's claims here on the boards years ago.

You were never a usual suspect except in your own mind...but you do have a vastly inflated opinion of yourself.

Like PH you have never been wrong in any discussion with me.

You were never a usual suspect except in your own mind...but you do have a vastly inflated opinion of yourself.

Never? I don't know about that, man!

Did we ever establish a list of usual suspects?

You basically said it's a good thing we don't have more than two guards who are good enough to see the floor next year.

We have three (has Woods officially said he’s not coming back). It’s not a good thing in a vacuum, but if it forces Manning to play Hoard, Mucius, and Sarr more instead of three guard lineups then it could be a good thing. The backcourt was too crowded this year and Manning failed to sort it out.

Isn't Musselman taking the same approach as Manning (last season)? He is over 50 and has a top 10 offense with a shitty defense. Their team would be a shell of itself if he didn't land the Martin twins via transfer.

Well, his offense is indeed dramatically better than his defense, but his defense is still better than Manning's has been. This year his defense is 94th per KP and last year it was 101st. Manning's best defense at Wake was 125th (in his first year) while last year was 176th. Another way of looking at it, this year his defense was the 5th best in the MWC while Manning's was the 14th best in the ACC.

The team certainly would not be as good as it is without the Martin twins. I don't see how that is a knock against Musselman though. Ok, so two ACC castoffs make up 2 of his best 3 players. Well, there are only four ACC teams ranked higher than Nevada in KP. He took over a team that was the 270th best in the country the year before he was hired. Now they are the 19th best. That's astonishing. And, yes, the exact route he took to get talent in the program is not necessarily sustainable, especially at Wake Forest, but the man can recruit, develop, and coach players. If he couldn't then Nevada wouldn't have put together three consecutive 19+ win seasons right after a 9 win season. Or made two consecutive tournaments after not making it for 8 years.

As for age, yeah, it would be nice if he was younger, but I think it's foolish to set any kind of hard limit in hopes of finding "our Coach K". Sure, if there's a young coach who could credibly be that guy, like Brad Stevens in 2010 or Shaka Smart in 2014 then absolutely do everything you can to make it happen. And sure even stretch the criteria some if there's a guy like Mike White, who didn't quite check all the boxes in 2014 but was clearly a star. But don't stretch so far that you end-up with a Kelsey type candidate who hasn't won enough or at high enough level to give enough confidence that he would be successful in the ACC. UNC doesn't regret hiring 52 year old Roy Williams. Louisville doesn't regret hiring 49 year old Rick Pitino. Oklahoma doesn't regret hiring 58 year old Lon Kruger. Oregon doesn't regret hiring 51 year old Dana Altman. Hell, we all made fun of Miami for hiring a 61 year old but he's lead them to the two best seasons in the history of their program. And doesn't seem to be slowing down one bit.

Back