• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

LOL. He was good as a freshman. He just didn't play enough.

Should Boban have played 30 minutes a game for the Spurs? Doing well in limited minutes doesn’t necessarily mean a player is ready to play heavy minutes.

I forgot that the obvious explanation is that everyone missed on John collins, including Manning who just lucked into recruiting him.

It was pretty obvious to everybody here the John Collins was pretty significantly underrated from his first couple of games

Should Boban have played 30 minutes a game for the Spurs? Doing well in limited minutes doesn’t necessarily mean a player is ready to play heavy minutes.

I forgot that the obvious explanation is that everyone missed on John collins, including Manning who just lucked into recruiting him.

He didn't "just luck into recruiting him", but of course there was luck involved. There always is in recruiting (just as there is in drafting).

Dude, your equating the spot minute use of a professional role player with many seasons under his belt on a great team to a promising freshman on a shitty college team that was struggling to win.

Sure it doesn't. But when he eventually plays well in heavy minutes, it suggests he would have played well in heavy minutes.

He played 20+ minutes in only four games and averaged 12/5 in 21 min. Hard to argue he shouldn't have played more minutes for such a bad team.

All of those teams were a lot better than our 15-16 team.

LOL at comparing a Wake team that went 2-17 to a Notre Dame team that went to the Elite 8.

Sure it doesn't. But when he eventually plays well in heavy minutes, it suggests he would have played well in heavy minutes.

He played 20+ minutes in only four games and averaged 12/5 in 21 min. Hard to argue he shouldn't have played more minutes for such a bad team.

No it doesn’t. It just as easily suggests that he progressed throughout the season to a point where he could sustain that production over a larger sample size and first string competition.

Y’all act like you have never heard of bringing Freshman along slowly as they adjust to the college game. Throwing an -8 year old out against 21 and 22 year olds isn’t always a plus for their development.

Manning hasn't made the Dance at all. That First 4 crap is the millennial bullshit you hate.

They were rated a #11 seed. That means some of the 12 or below seeds would likely have been left out without this set-up. #11 seeds are solidly in.

And Dino's was significantly more talented and didn't get a call.

you just quoted Bonzie Colson's freshman season as a comparison for John Collins' freshman season

in Colson's freshman season, ND went 32-6, 14-4 in the ACC, won the ACC tournament, and lost to #1 Kentucky by 2 in the Elite 8 (ND won more games that year than WF won in John Collins' career)

in Collins' freshman season, WF went 11-20, 2-16, bowed out of the ACC tournament on Tuesday

carry on

That's one of the most ridiculous analogies ever on this board. Trying to compare JC's frosh team to Bonzie's is ludicrous, but not surprising.

you just quoted Bonzie Colson's freshman season as a comparison for John Collins' freshman season

in Colson's freshman season, ND went 32-6, 14-4 in the ACC, won the ACC tournament, and lost to #1 Kentucky by 2 in the Elite 8 (ND won more games that year than WF won in John Collins' career)

in Collins' freshman season, WF went 11-20, 2-16, bowed out of the ACC tournament on Tuesday

carry on
Kentucky was undefeated (up to that point), by the way.

We're all in pretty universal agreement that the timing of Dino's firing was poor, right? Then why are some of you thinking that it will play better if we just stretch this out, let Manning have a little bit of success but never get over the hump, and then fire him? You fire on the back end of an awful season. That's now. The last thing we need is a couple years of bubble teams that make it harder to fire Manning even though it remains obvious that Manning's ceiling is well below Skip/Odom. If he sticks around, fan apathy will continue to grow. The nice shiny new basketball center loses it's new car smell. We'll transition to a new AD, who will come in and be hesitant to upset the apple cart right from the start. Suddenly we're looking at another 3-5 years of wondering in the basketball wilderness.

The time is now. The smart people in the room who control the purse strings need to step up, let Wellman know that they appreciate what he's done, but that he's on the way out, and a consulting firm will handle the hire. You'd think the dude would be begging for someone to save his legacy at this point anyway. We pay up, hire a good coach, have a good recruiting class on the way in, and the new coach hits the ground running with a shiny new facility to show off to recruits. We take the next 3-4 years to climb back to the top tier of the ACC and then we're poised to pounce when K/Roy/Jim start retiring.

I agree but what's highlighted is where I think you're giving way too much credit to Wellman. I honestly don't think he "gets it". I truly believe, that in his world, he believes the bullshit he sells to the blue hairs and thinks he's doing an admirable job with our basketball program. He is always the smartest guy in any room. Or, as some would say, he's a condescending prick.

Dude, your equating the spot minute use of a professional role player with many seasons under his belt on a great team to a promising freshman on a shitty college team that was struggling to win.

Oh so per minute production only translates to similar production if you are young and play on a shitty team. Got it.

It’s a silly counterfactual and a silly criticism of Manning. Maybe Collins would have ended up the same if Devin had been kicked off the team and Collins played 30 mpg from day one. Maybe he would have been overwhelmed by the speed of the college game and had his development stunted. Maybe we would have won 14 games instead of 11. Maybe Collins would have been the #1 pick and National Player of the year if only Manning hadn’t stunted his development.

Pick whatever unproveable result you want to support your narrative. I’ll stick with “who gives a shit” and judge Manning based on the results he got with the talent he had.

Back